Other hobbies that are not ship model building

Other hobbies.... Lets see... I think I'll have limit these to a few since there are SO many...

Adventure motorcycling, present day.....
View attachment 120832
View attachment 120846

And historical....
View attachment 120833

Roman and medieval armor smithing...
View attachment 120834

View attachment 120835

Ancient catapult construction...
View attachment 120849
View attachment 120836

Medieval crossbow making...
View attachment 120838
View attachment 120839
View attachment 120840
View attachment 120841

Machine guns... (all legal and working, but expensive and rare). Here's a link to my YouTube site:
My YouTube site - DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
View attachment 120842
View attachment 120843
View attachment 120844
View attachment 120845

Machining and woodworking...

View attachment 120847

And then there's this of course...
View attachment 120850

Still, there's so much left to do....
You have to go to a place in London called the Tower , I understand they have a very good collect of Arm & Amour and to The Royal Armouries in Leeds, Yorkshire. You would be spoilt for choice what to look at first . That's one place I've got visit on my list after Eden Camp .

You have to go to a place in London called the Tower , I understand they have a very good collect of Arm & Amour and to The Royal Armouries in Leeds, Yorkshire. You would be spoilt for choice what to look at first . That's one place I've got visit on my list after Eden Camp .
I am familiar with the collection in Leeds, although I have never been there. It was tragic with the low budget there cause the building to fall into such disrepair that the roof leaked on everything. I specialize in high gothic German armor, so the place I've always wanted to visit ist Waffensammlung im Wien!
This is the THIRD suit of armor I made when I was an lowly apprentice at age 25 and could still fit into it. It's a copy of the one worn by an 18 year old Arch Duke, ErzHerzog Sigismund von Tyrol. I haven't warn this old harness in decades. Sadly I never completed the suit. I have the sallet helmet for it also.

GothicOblique.jpg

GothicFront.jpg

GothicBack.jpg

Last edited:
That's perfectly understandable. Friends and I do WWII reenactment. Here in the US, wearing all the German WWII equipment and uniform is part of taking part in the reenactment. In the minds of reenactors, the uniforms have no more political significance than a football sports jersey. The aim for the reenactors is to try to capture the feeling of being back in time, minus the real blood and loss of life. The fun for us is we get to shoot blanks in war games at our friends while driving real tanks, halftracks, motorcycles, and trucks using original firearms with an honor system used to determine hits. Some veterans, both American and German, attend the larger events to speak with us about the war as seen through their eyes. I think Germans today themselves are ones who do not understand an "Ami" dressed in Wehrmacht or Waffen SS uniform when doing reenactment events, either public ones for show, or private ones for the entertainment of the reenactors themselves. They see this as just plain crazy, since that part of their history still has a bad impact on German society even today. In some places, when I spoke German, I was viewed with tolerance and suspicion, usually by the older generation, all because of the war. In some places of Europe, speaking English will get you less respect than speaking a continental language like German. It all depends on the people. As someone with an older member of the family who was pressed into service in the Wehrmacht in Austria at the point of a rifle, some of my family members do not see any positive reason to wear a German WWII uniform even for a reenactment event. The history of events they lived through in the 1940's is reason why. It's a matter of perspective.

Oh, and by the way, MNBROOK: That's one FINE bicycle ! ! Thumbs-Up
Rest assured, I will not show up at one of your Nazi Play Parties!

Very interesting Forum. Just goes to show how creative SOS members are. My personal interests aside from ship building has always been in aviation as a private pilot since 1973. I am a member of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum and enjoy building and flying RC models of antique aircraft.View attachment 122225View attachment 122225

That is really cool! Takes a lot of skills to fly those bi-planes! I’m Doing good if I can fly the high wing aircraft without crashing

Hi Fourseas,
Do you have VERA ,The Avro Lancaster at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum? If you do I saw her fly with the BBMF Lancaster when they came over our village I live in Linton on Ouse , next to a RAF Base by the same name . This Base was part of RCAF ,6 Group during the second world war .
Niallmhor49

I do not have a model of VRA but I see her on a regular basis at the museum. I have not been up in her for a ride yet but my family bought me a trip on the 1936 Stearman in the museum collection. When I told my pilot that I was also a licensed pilot he let me take the stick and do some basic maneuvers with her.

Thanks very much, that is a beautiful picture of her. I find it very exciting to stand on the museum grounds in the summer when she is flying just to listen to her and see her in the skies. If you do a search on the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton you can find the flying schedule for her when she takes passengers.
Jim

Rockets! (I would post video - both onboard and ground based, however that is apparently not possible.) I don't have the knowledge to post to youtube or some other service :(

Alas Video in slo-mo (turn the sound up ;-)
Also Video onboard (different rocket - although it might be the black and yellow one?)

DSC_4589.jpgDSC_4703.JPG

Attachments

• 87089379-A26D-4AA5-9B87-0B02C5580C78.jpeg
    87089379-A26D-4AA5-9B87-0B02C5580C78.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 98760C5E-DC16-491F-A1D9-A26E7DD1ABA1.jpeg
    98760C5E-DC16-491F-A1D9-A26E7DD1ABA1.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 5
  • 472EA2D6-AE36-4221-B611-FCC20B3DD1D5.jpeg
    472EA2D6-AE36-4221-B611-FCC20B3DD1D5.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 6
  • AA1BD0DD-5F78-49AE-8839-85BEC8DBA179.jpeg