Other hobbies that are not ship model building

Wauuu...so amazing all of you.

When I am not modelling I am probably doing some sport. Here are some of my older videos from skialp mostly. And some pictures of my doing sherpa through summer. I with lot of guys we are delivering goods to alpine cottages in High Tatras. I can do 60 kg most but there are guys who can do 100 and more.

44490416_10212564519896633_7693841351326040064_n.jpg
44468758_10212564521696678_3231730382185431040_n.jpg
44597036_10212564520816656_4130813117665902592_n.jpg

Jeff, lovely work! You are not too slow, just a perfectionist. Not surprised to see all the Lie-nielsens in the plane case :)

Some of us start a hobby to save money..."I can make it for less" we all proclaim! Of course we study, and build and elevate our skills to the level of artisans and craftsmen, mostly self taught, all very intelligent...but we miss the fundamental: we spend more on damn tools! I've come to the realization in my decades that I am a tool collector/maker a jig maker...oh if I only patented/marketed the jigs that are now mass marketed...lol But the hobby itself is the means to the end; or is that the end to the means?

I once came across a gentleman in a small town in Nova Scotia. He said something very profound which has stuck with me through the years. We were passing through on a bicycle tour. He just happened to be at the local tourist information center. He inquired of myself and my companion if we would like to "see some old cars?"
"Sure" we said, then he left.
A short time later this old open carriage and very large "car" pulls up...he's operating levers and a tiller...it doesn't have a steering wheel..."Get in, leave your bikes, they'll be safe..."
We learn he is the mayor of this small, desolate, southeast coastal town. He drives up to an unassuming house, typical for the area. Behind the house are 3 huge, aircraft quonset structures. These things were football field sized each. We go into the first one, and it's an endless row after row of classic cars, antique cars, it's a veritable museum of the history of automobiles. All three structures were filled with hundreds of cars most showroom ready, some in states of restoration or awaiting such. It was incredible. There were some single cars alone that would fetch a fortune, collectively, priceless.
We inquired what his collection was worth...we were sort of hung up about the US-Canadian exchange rates and how cool it was at the time that the US $ could buy so much Canadian stuff (food/lodging)
His answer: "I could sell all this and count zeros on my bank statement, or I can just enjoy working on my cars and sharing them with folks like you"

Last edited:
He was obviously very wealthy, and could afford to do that - must have cost a fortune getting the buildings to house them in, plus the cars themselves, and the cost of refurbishing. I sell most of my models, because we simply do not have the space to keep them. But if we won the lottery, things would be different! :D.
As for cost of tools. I never really understood the problem. Why not buy some tools, and scratchbuild, then, if you don't like scratchbuilding, sell the tools (always a demand for tools). But if you do like scratchbuilding, you still have the tools to build the next one, and you can even sell the completed model to buy more! Looking at kit prices recently, I have been astounded by how much they are. Very difficult to sell a kit-built model for profit because you have to recover the cost of the kit before you move into profit.
Bob

I do not build model ships all the time, and in recent years have taken to producing my own plans of them. The initial research is for photographs, official documents and reports that supply various measurements and descriptions of the ships in sufficient detail to produce fairly accurate plans. I am about to begin drawings for a small steel sailing barque. This is more for my own enjoyment and satisfaction than anything else, because, as I have said many times before, I mainly build ships that other model shipbuilders will not consider tackling - Merchant ships that in the words of Joseph Conrad:
"Cargo carriers, that would know no triumph, but that of speed in carrying a burden, no glory other than that of long service, no victory but that of an endless contest with the sea!" This will be drawing with pens, paper, curves etc, I do not have the patience, ability, or inclination to mess about with CAD!:oops:
Bob
Back to the drawing board.JPG

Hello, Jim J.
Glad to hear another modeler in NC. I'm 12 miles south of Chapel Hill, in Chatham County. Moved here from WI in 1995. Born & raised in ME, lived In WI (wife's hometown of Milwaukee) for 25 years till we moved to NC.
Welcome aboard and happy modeling.
Steven

SA, Sounds like we're not that far away from each other. I'm in Moore Co, sounds like you are in Pittsboro. Right? Where in Maine are you from? I was stationed at Loring AFB for about 2 years - up between Caribou and Limerick. I also lived in Wisconsin as a kid - in the Sheboygan/ Manitowoc area. PM me and lets chat.

One other hobby what I did over years is collecting classic model cars of the manufacturer cmc, Exoto etc. in scales 1:12, 1:18, and 1:24
Here some parts of my collection.......
Vitrine 01_2012 001 (Large).jpg Vitrine 01_2012 002 (Large).jpg Vitrine 01_2012 005 (Large).jpg

Vitrine 01_2012 006 (Large).jpg Vitrine 01_2012 007 (Large).jpg Vitrine 01_2012 010 (Large).jpg

Vitrine 01_2012 011.jpg Vitrine 01_2012 016 (Large).jpg

My wife is saying often, that I should sell these toys and buy a real one, than she would be also able to use "the cabrio"

One other hobby what I did over years is collecting classic model cars of the manufacturer cmc, Exoto etc. in scales 1:12, 1:18, and 1:24
Here some parts of my collection.......
View attachment 129894 View attachment 129895 View attachment 129896

View attachment 129897 View attachment 129898 View attachment 129899

View attachment 129900 View attachment 129901

My wife is saying often, that I should sell these toys and buy a real one, than she would be also able to use "the cabrio"
Imponerande//Larsa

You have to go to a place in London called the Tower , I understand they have a very good collect of Arm & Amour and to The Royal Armouries in Leeds, Yorkshire. You would be spoilt for choice what to look at first . That's one place I've got visit on my list after Eden Camp .
Loved the Armory at the Tower of London. Weapons and armor, even my wife enjoyed it.

Great representation! Kudos all the way! At first, I thought, it is a real ship...until I reed the annotation. Thumbs-Up

Back