Other hobbies that are not ship model building

As we Modellers know, we like to immerse ourselves into our hobbies.

My other hobby is shown below:

E2094474-1F5F-4170-BED0-CFAAAC1E0C06.jpeg

This is Betsy. She is a 1929 Model A Ford Phaeton. She is absolutely original. Roadworthy and very reliable. I drive her around our local town and whenever I can.

it’s great fun, relatively cheap to maintain and with low running and licence costs (because of her historic age registration)

Regards,

Peter G.

I have had several other hobbies over the years besides modelling.Modelling is my main passion since about the age of seven.Other's have included Archery,I got rather good at this and won a couple of trophies shooting a compound bow but had to give up when I discovered I had a hiatus hernia and at the time the doctors refused to operate as it was a hellish operation back then.
Cycling is another interest of mine and I have a collection of bikes.Recently this had been in demise due to working far too many hours which I have now sorted but I am finding it hard to get back in the saddle after a bad bout of Pneumonia which took me six months to recover from properly.Ironically I contracted the Pneumonia only a few months after stopping smoking.I do hope to get my mojo back and get back out on one of my bikes in the spring.In the meantime I shall beaver away in the workshop on my scatchbuild.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Other hobbies.... Lets see... I think I'll have limit these to a few since there are SO many...

Adventure motorcycling, present day.....
20150701_104627.jpg
20180214_154748.jpg

And historical....
Soldaten.jpg

Roman and medieval armor smithing...
ItalianArmour.jpg

RomanArmour.jpg

Ancient catapult construction...
02PartsFront.jpg
BallistaPortraitSide.jpg

Medieval crossbow making...
CrossbowMaker.jpg
Me_at_Pennsic.jpg
ArmbrustProfile.jpg
crossbow1.jpg

Machine guns... (all legal and working, but expensive and rare). Here's a link to my YouTube site:
My YouTube site - DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
IMG_3564.jpg
MP40 Soldat 2.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg
MP-44 left.JPG

Machining and woodworking...

Lathe being rebuilt 2019.jpg

And then there's this of course...
573 Looks Good so Far.jpg

Still, there's so much left to do....

I can't see the appeal of dressing up as a Nazi, but I like to play with old bicycles- the older the better. The earliest I have is from 1869 and is surprisingly rideable, within some firm, and hard limits. Archaeology and local history have always been interests. I've shifted into ship models from science fiction spaceship models. I have also been working out of town and away from home for too many years so I will have time and materials for more projects.

Let's see, where to begin. First and foremost I am a modeller. I have been building models of all types since I was about 6. I also do oil paonting - mostly landscapes and have won awards for some. That led to custom painting and tattooing again earning several awards. I have also done some model RR , messed about with Hirst Arts castle building stuff, model rocketry and a bunch of other hobby related activity. Since retireing from tattooing I have just been painting, model building and working a part-time job to pay for my hobbies. Here,s some stuff from my Hirst arts activities.
arena 1.jpgarena 7.jpgsaw mill 1.jpgsaw mill 1.jpgsaw mill 6.jpg

I restore vintage bicycles. I used to ride/race a few years ago and this started me on this hobby. All (well, mostly all) are Italian steel frames from the 1930's to the 1990's, with Campagnolo drive trains. However, my admiral has put a stop to it since our house looks like a bike shop and there is no other place to put the bikes. I have many on display at a bike-shop in Utah called Contender bicycles (Ryan, the owner is a very good friend). Here are some samples.
Don't ask about how many I have since I started doing this over 30 years ago- hint- it take about 1 yr per bike.
Another hobby: family history and history in general.

IMG_0065.JPGIMG_0915.JPGIMG_1084.JPGIMG_1085.JPGIMG_1087.JPGIMG_1088.JPGIMG_0968.JPGIMG_1125.JPG

Some nice bikes there Alex,love the Columbus tubed Colnago in the first pictureThumbsup
Here is my pride and joy I built a few years back.Full Carbon,Full Campag Super Record,even the crank derailleurs and shifters are carbon.Worked a lot of overtime to pay for all the bits and it cost me a substantial amount of cash.I have done 60mph on this thing,it is an F1 car with pedalsROTF
Apologies it is an old pic,the bike is currently covered in orange sanding dust

Kind Regards

Nigel

look.jpg

Awesome bike ! My time trial bike is a carbon Kuota Kalibur with Zipp 850 wheels...but I haven't ridden it in a long time ( hard for me to get that aero now. What I ride most of the time now is my gravel bike, called a Lauf. I have it rigged with a 1X SRAM e-tap 12 speed, and 40 C knobby tires. very comfortable, go anywhere bike. I'm no longer racing, but love touring. Done the Etape several times, The Marmotte, crossed Alps and Pyrenees (very, very slow, climber but love to descend...my fastest is 57 mph-never reached 60). I'm going to Scotland next year to cross from Edinburgh to Inverness !!!

I can't see the appeal of dressing up as a Nazi, but I like to play with old bicycles- the older the better. The earliest I have is from 1869 and is surprisingly rideable, within some firm, and hard limits. Archaeology and local history have always been interests. I've shifted into ship models from science fiction spaceship models. I have also been working out of town and away from home for too many years so I will have time and materials for more projects.
That's perfectly understandable. Friends and I do WWII reenactment. Here in the US, wearing all the German WWII equipment and uniform is part of taking part in the reenactment. In the minds of reenactors, the uniforms have no more political significance than a football sports jersey. The aim for the reenactors is to try to capture the feeling of being back in time, minus the real blood and loss of life. The fun for us is we get to shoot blanks in war games at our friends while driving real tanks, halftracks, motorcycles, and trucks using original firearms with an honor system used to determine hits. Some veterans, both American and German, attend the larger events to speak with us about the war as seen through their eyes. I think Germans today themselves are ones who do not understand an "Ami" dressed in Wehrmacht or Waffen SS uniform when doing reenactment events, either public ones for show, or private ones for the entertainment of the reenactors themselves. They see this as just plain crazy, since that part of their history still has a bad impact on German society even today. In some places, when I spoke German, I was viewed with tolerance and suspicion, usually by the older generation, all because of the war. In some places of Europe, speaking English will get you less respect than speaking a continental language like German. It all depends on the people. As someone with an older member of the family who was pressed into service in the Wehrmacht in Austria at the point of a rifle, some of my family members do not see any positive reason to wear a German WWII uniform even for a reenactment event. The history of events they lived through in the 1940's is reason why. It's a matter of perspective.

Oh, and by the way, MNBROOK: That's one FINE bicycle ! ! Thumbs-Up

Last edited:
Hi,
What I do when not ship building is work on and drive both Vickers Abbot SPG and a Alvis Stalwart HMLC Mk1. Taking the Abbot from a mess on tracks to something to be proud of, and driving these vehicles while I was in the British Army in Germany. I enjoy working on them, I get a lot pleasure from bringing them back to their original condition and to hear those Rolls Royce engines on tick over is sweet. I think it's a Labour of love .9af5359443a513d17d73ebc116015f38.jpg1508957659009.jpgreceived_721772974822466.jpeg

Here's some of my other hobbies

I play the bass and guitar, far better Bassist. I built these custom, the body and kneck are from Warmoth (I did NOT do the finish on the bodies, that's beyond my abilities, or at least facilities), I did all the assembly and setup. Play at church a couple times a month now.

GT010-XL.jpg

Photography and N Scale 1:160 model trains. This is a 12" x 24" diorama with a photo backgound.

UG106-L.jpg

These are my 3 1/2 by 6 foot layout I currently have. Hand Laid turnouts home made trees etc, Here's some hand layed turnouts, once you get the hang of it they're more reliable than commercial turnouts.

Foam257-L.jpg

A photo showing the photo backdrop.

SC008-L.jpg

SC001-L.jpg

This layout is fully computer automated so it'll run three trains at the same time. Signal system and lighting included. Here's a glimpse of the electronics under the table. It uses two boosters because of reversing loops and a surroundtraxx sound system.

Bsig008-L.jpg

Here's a video I made when testing the computer. You can see the signals change on the signal bridges. The trains are running unrealistically fast because I was testing and didn't want to wait 15 minutes between tests.

I also Raced RC Cars and did machining for a while.

Back