People and Patience

Hope you feeling bit better now Donnie, agree with all are saying, perhaps in this country they should consider bringing back national service to everyone to teach them a little respect and manners??? Love the jokes

Do hope you are feeling a bit better , I have been retired 10 years coming up ( am 72 ) , once a Rooster now a feather duster , love every minute of my retirement , not easy in the beginning after my last Command ( Merchant Navy) , settled in , love cooking ! I am the Chef at home and that’s an inspiration to come up with something nice , likewise ship modelling and take every day as it comes , happily married to a beautiful wife ( Rich, beautiful and young LOL) not necessarily in that order , also what I like I don’t have to answer to anybody apart from my wife , have an opinion and not afraid to spell it out

For what ever reason, it seems my patience with people is getting less each day. I feel like all I do is watch after a kindergarten of grown adults. It seems my professional life has taken a turn as well. I am a professional engineer in broadcasting. The operators of equipment do not come and get me anymore to fix things. They try to figure it out all on their own and when they do, it is so screwed up, then it takes forever to back track what they have done. Its a mess. Seems for some reason that I do not have the respect like I used to at work. Not sure what brought this about. This also seems to carry over to other things as well. Maybe as I am getting older, my perception of things are changing. The so called millenial crowd has no concept of respect of grownups at all. This also causes conflicts at work. I am wondering do any of you experience the same thing?
Yes, to the point that I had to retire. I won't get into the gory details, but perhaps my biggest problem was the lack of appreciation for my efforts. It got so bad for me that I said F'it and retired early.

Hi. I can understand you all but "Sparrows" comment triggered me to add my experience.
Having been as an Army officer for 35 years I got also to the point that I had to retire because lack of appreciation for my efforts, but mainly because I found I was speaking "different language" with the newest officers.
After my retirement and having lived in a state in which everything was in order and ran under rules, I feel I have changed planet and I really believe I became invisible...:cool:
Walking in the sidewalk I am who has to step aside, otherwise I would collide with the other person coming towards me...
Waiting in the line to order in a shop I feel as the last one since every other has an excuse to step all over of me...
When I ask from a neighbor to keep his voice down in common noon and night quiet hours, he doesn't bother even to answer me.
As about the model shipbuilding, I frequently get questions on something from young people in the hobby and since they get my answer, I think I 'm not any longer in their mind since no one came back just to show me his progress.
So to be honest I came up in a state in which I define my self as if I've been diagnosed with intolerance to people.
I really enjoy our hobby having conversations to myself and my male cat Petros (Peter).:)
Many thanks

Donnie, et al. I feel your pain. Several years ago I knew it was time to retire when PC started to be the norm. When I was told that I couldn’t tell my secretary “Jane, you look nice this morning, really like your outfit” because Susie might hear me and be offended. Also, my last year our new hires of engineers came with a different work ethic then my generation. I could sit in my office and overhear these conversations all day. “What are we going to do tonight or this weekend, did you hear about the concert”. Don’t get me wrong I tried to enjoy my time off from work but I always thought I was be paid to do a job. Unfortunately for me looking back I know I probably put work ahead of family and that’s something I will forever regret. Please don’t get me started on the Social Media impact on our lives……

Hello Donnie, y'all,

As I went thru your stories, I heard that the Netherlands will be/may be subjected to another lockdown due to covid-19. Vaccination of the majority didn't really help us at all. I am struggling with all the unlawful measures being taken to "control the virus". Reportedly the lockdown will last no longer than 14 days, so in reality it will last at least till May next year.
I retired last year November, in the midst of the second lockdown, so instead of being able to enjoy the freedom it should give me, we were limited to what we could and could not do. At least we could go out, walking, biking, in order to get some fresh air and stay sane.
I won't go into the details of my last years of my professional career; the stories I read here are painfully familiar.
Luckily I'm still somewhat healthy, not something everyone can say...

To our good fortune we found a pastime, allowing ourselves to busy us with research, planning, building, learning and enjoying the (digital) company of fellow builders and after hours and hours of work, allowing ourselves to admire one's handiwork. It's something we have in common with one another and it really helps me to get some distance from every day's reality.

Please, stay safe.

Oh these young people today!!!

Where have I heard that before. Oh, I remember, when my Dad and his friends were talking about the hippies.

Hang in there Donnie, just another example of the more things change, the more they stay the same. Were we really that much different when we were young and first starting out?

I'm not defending this latest crop of young people or disagreeing with the points made. To me, it's just more of the same. I spent my career in computers and IT. Change was a constant so I got used to it, but as with all things, the more it changed, the more it stayed the same.

Take all this stuff about "The Cloud". When you get right down to it, The Cloud isn't really that much different than the old main frame computers that we accessed using dumb terminals. The only difference now is we can carry those dumb terminals around in our pockets.

Another point about things changing but staying the same, is it me, or is it feeling a lot like the 70's here in the US again?

Don't let the 7/24 barrage of what the wing nuts are doing distract you from the fact that the vast majority of people out there are good, decent people. The only reason we don't here that much about them is because that's not what attracts clicks and eyeballs. Just the digital version of the kid selling newspapers on the corner with the blaring headline "Dewey Defeats Truman!"

Charles

Thank you ALL for your kind words - right on to everyone,
In TV and Radio Broadcasting, just like JBFord and Charles mentioned: I HAD to be licensed from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), then all that pride (good pride) was taken away when FCC deregulated everything. Now, you can drag ANYONE off the streets and there is zero accountability.

I am NOT an expert on 3D cad, BUT I do 2D cad professionally at my office by keeping up with schematics and drawing documentation on how all the transmitters and radio and TV are laid out. I CANNOT for the life of my get anyone interested in CAD up here where I work. Dang, I remember back when I was about mid 40s, I was eager to learn new things. The people now days are not eager to learn anything. So, in about 1 1/2 to 2 years when I retire, I do not know what is going to happen. Our technical department is literally falling apart as the head office does not see the value of us anymore. This is so depressing to me - I just can deal with it seeing our technical department dissolve right before my eyes. We went from 36 transmitter Engineers down to 3 !!!!!! In 4 to 5 years, all of our tech staff will be gone (retiring) and no one is making any plans to replace. Stupid. I have suggested our leader to go to local community colleges to woo the new kids into this industry. But our pay scale / salary sucks. Oh well, sorry for my little rant. I hope you all won't ban me for complaining ---- LOL

I am very happy to have ship "Engineers" here as this is really what we all are "Ship Engineers"
Hi Donnie, I have just come across this thread. May I ask the question on a professional level, DTT, DAB, FM, MW or good old fashion hair raising analogue do you or did work on?

I am more of a Studio Engineer where I am in charge of 3 Studios and 1 Radio Master Control system. I am not a part of the FM transmission. As long as everything leaves my Studio then I am fine. We also broadcast a secondary station "Classic Radio". We also are streaming too. And I almost forgot that we have one more channel which is Radio Reading program for the blind where we issue free SCA Radios for the disabled. So, we have "Talk Radio" from 8 to noon and then after that all Network feeds from NPR.
All of my systems are Computer Control Mixing consoles with Digital routing.

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I know the tech you work within. The company I work for in the UK own most of the infrastructure from play out centres, distribution networks to the transmitters, structures and AE’s. I have PM’ed quite a few rollout projects from all of the high power main station TV TX’ers, distribution systems prior to DSO. DAB rollout, BBC distribution, telemetry network upgrade, 700 & 800MHz TV clearance, HD TV MUX rollout to name but a few. Massive Massive change within the industry over the last 10 years or so, so I recognise your pain and frustration. But what can mere mortals do? Plod on………

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I know the tech you work within. The company I work for in the UK own most of the infrastructure from play out centres, distribution networks to the transmitters, structures and AE’s. I have PM’ed quite a few rollout projects from all of the high power main station TV TX’ers, distribution systems prior to DSO. DAB rollout, BBC distribution, telemetry network upgrade, 700 & 800MHz TV clearance, HD TV MUX rollout to name but a few. Massive Massive change within the industry over the last 10 years or so, so I recognise your pain and frustration. But what can mere mortals do? Plod on………
Hallo @PeteC
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hey Donnie, just read all the posts and sincerely hope you are feeling better. - I was Sales Mgr and fully understand what it's like dealing with disrespectful people etc. Hang in there. With retirement comes great relief, enjoyment and in my case each morning I look in the mirror punch the air and say "Thank you God, another personal record broken" I now find at age 76 that the less people I associate with the happier and more relaxed life is. My answer to everyone these days is "I don't care if it rains or freezes as long as my cup of caffeine pleases" I'm busier now then ever before Loving life and living. Donnie just walk away from frustrations and issues you can't control but never forget "La Vita e Bella"

Having hit 70 I now work "part time" 3-5 days a week. The world has changed, but I remember my parents and their friends complaint about how the new generation was nothing compared to theirs. Of course they were "the great generation" people who went to war, developed nuclear power and went to the moon, then went home and acted like they did nothing. But I think this Gary Larson "Farside" cartoon kind of sums things up

Far side.jpeg

So it has been for generations...
And so it will be for always...

This helped me.
Desiderata by Max Ehrmann:

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others,
even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

And this one by Ernest William Henley :

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

Hi Donnie, I have just come across this thread. May I ask the question on a professional level, DTT, DAB, FM, MW or good old fashion hair raising analogue do you or did work on?
Hallo @PeteC
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back