Phillips 66 Oil Tank Wagon (Model Trailways 1:12) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Started work on the Model Trailways Phillips 66 Oil Tank Wagon a couple of days ago. Decided to this instead of another ship model – a bit of a change, a challenge and besides, I work with petroleum infrastructure. (In the same box that contained this model I also received 2 more ship models; trying to avoid 'downtime' between during the next few months.)

I started with the wheels for the model. Interesting item as the wheel hubs are metal (not cast resin) and although the axle holes are round, the hubs are slightly oval. The out-of-round hubs meant that some of the spokes were a bit on the short side and would not stay put without some help.

After fumbling my first assembly attempt (spokes seemed to go everywhere but where they were supposed to), I build a small jig that held the hub in the right position relative to the rim (slightly below the rim’s outer face) allowing the spokes to be put in place with a slight angle towards the real of the wheel. To hold the hub end of the spokes in place I filled the slot in the hub with modeling putty. Pressing the spokes into the modeling putty while gluing the rim ends to the spokes allowed me to get the wheels looking just about right. Once I hade everything in place I moved the spokes as needed to get them lined up; a little CA glue was also of assistance in a few spots. A couple of the spokes are not perfectly aligned but overall they look OK. I decided to paint the wheels gunship gray instead of white; painted the tire strips black.

Started work on the tank part of the wagon while waiting for the paint on the wheels to dry. Have it roughed-in: holes for fill caps and drains drilled, plastic rods simulating weld seams installed, and end caps glued on. Need to final shape the end caps then install the fill ports on the top and the fuel pipes on the underside of the tank before getting started with the wagon frame. DSCN7809.JPGDSCN7811.JPGDSCN7812.JPGDSCN7813.JPGDSCN7820.JPGDSCN7815.JPGDSCN7817.JPGDSCN7818.JPGDSCN7819.JPGDSCN7822.JPG

This week was all about the running gear – front and rear. A couple of hours each evening and some longer sessions over the weekend. Front and rear axles, framework, wood and metal braces (straightening out bent metal as needed), coupler between the two…check to make sure everything fits, scraping paint off the axles, filing the inside of the wheel hubs, using a little ‘grease’ (Vaseline) to ease the fit, breaking one of the small wheels (pushed against the spokes instead of the hub – ugh), repairing the wheel, everything fits (yeah!). Disassemble everything and build the brake assembly. Install the brake assembly over the rear running gear; all looks good.

Painted the running gear black (as recommended) using a flat spray paint. Decided to leave the brake assembly in natural wood except for the metal parts. Sprayed the wood parts with a clear lacquer and then painted the metal parts with flat black (brush work).

The ‘nuts’ used in the assembly are metal (easy to work with) and gasket material (not so easy to work with). I continually learn to be patient.

Next is the wagon box followed by installing the tank on the frame and then making the final mechanical connection between the brake lever (by the driver’s seat) and the brake actuator (on the underside just in front of the rear axle). With any luck I’ll finish it by this Friday.
DSCN7828.JPG
DSCN7829.JPGDSCN7831.JPGDSCN7833.JPGDSCN7834.JPGDSCN7836.JPGDSCN7837.JPGDSCN7838.JPGDSCN7841.JPGDSCN7842.JPGDSCN7848.JPGDSCN7849.JPG

This week was all about the running gear – front and rear. A couple of hours each evening and some longer sessions over the weekend. Front and rear axles, framework, wood and metal braces (straightening out bent metal as needed), coupler between the two…check to make sure everything fits, scraping paint off the axles, filing the inside of the wheel hubs, using a little ‘grease’ (Vaseline) to ease the fit, breaking one of the small wheels (pushed against the spokes instead of the hub – ugh), repairing the wheel, everything fits (yeah!). Disassemble everything and build the brake assembly. Install the brake assembly over the rear running gear; all looks good.

Painted the running gear black (as recommended) using a flat spray paint. Decided to leave the brake assembly in natural wood except for the metal parts. Sprayed the wood parts with a clear lacquer and then painted the metal parts with flat black (brush work).

The ‘nuts’ used in the assembly are metal (easy to work with) and gasket material (not so easy to work with). I continually learn to be patient.

Next is the wagon box followed by installing the tank on the frame and then making the final mechanical connection between the brake lever (by the driver’s seat) and the brake actuator (on the underside just in front of the rear axle). With any luck I’ll finish it by this Friday.
View attachment 226474
View attachment 226475View attachment 226476View attachment 226477View attachment 226478View attachment 226479View attachment 226480View attachment 226481View attachment 226482View attachment 226483View attachment 226484View attachment 226485
Dear JohnR
very nice work

Really an interesting kit - and btw very good work

Started the week by working on the upper frame (where the driver’s seat is located and the tank rests on), followed by the driver’s seat, brake lever, simulated bolts and painting. Then came the assembly of the undercarriage to the upper frame, the interconnection of the brake lever with the rear brakes, and the mounting of the wheels (hubs will get painted later).

Finished? Not exactly. I found out there were some fittings missing from the bags of small metal parts. Once the parts come in, the side panniers, foot board and tank straps will be added and the decals put on. That’s a few weeks off as I’m taking a break for a bit of vacation.

DSCN7850.JPGDSCN7852.JPGDSCN7853.JPGDSCN7858.JPGDSCN7860.JPGDSCN7865.JPGDSCN7867.JPGDSCN7868.JPGDSCN7871.JPGDSCN7872.JPGDSCN7874.JPGDSCN7875.JPG

Started the week by working on the upper frame (where the driver’s seat is located and the tank rests on), followed by the driver’s seat, brake lever, simulated bolts and painting. Then came the assembly of the undercarriage to the upper frame, the interconnection of the brake lever with the rear brakes, and the mounting of the wheels (hubs will get painted later).

Finished? Not exactly. I found out there were some fittings missing from the bags of small metal parts. Once the parts come in, the side panniers, foot board and tank straps will be added and the decals put on. That’s a few weeks off as I’m taking a break for a bit of vacation.

View attachment 227911View attachment 227912View attachment 227913View attachment 227914View attachment 227915View attachment 227916View attachment 227917View attachment 227918View attachment 227919View attachment 227920View attachment 227921View attachment 227922
very beautiful

Very Nice - there is much more to this kit than I realized !!!

Received the missing parts while on vacation and have now finished work on the model. I’m not happy with the decal lettering on the tank itself; was difficult to put on correctly and all of the movement to try and get it right led to cracking. At some future point I’ll have to send it back to the sign painter (me!) for new lettering. Meanwhile it has found a place on my shelf amongst the various ships, planes and miscellaneous models. It was fun to build; may tackle another wagon at some point down the road.

Next project is a model of a fishing boat.

DSCN7888.JPGDSCN7889.JPGDSCN7890.JPGDSCN7891.JPGDSCN7894.JPGDSCN7897.JPG
20210529_194938.jpg20210529_194943.jpg20210529_195006.jpg20210529_195015.jpg

Creat accomplishment! Congrats! What seems to be a simple model turned out a great representation of what used in the past with lots of small details. Bravo!

Also from my side sending you my Congratulations :cool:

Out freaking standing. This is one of my favorites for the Wheeled segment of Model Expo. I want the Mountain Buggy. Keep a eye out for American Restoration. They restored a 1:1 tanker just like this one. The one they restored was a Kerosene hauler. Cool, just cool. Would it not be awesome for them to come out with the 21 Mule Team Borax Wagon, sans Mules!
Hope you tackle another. You work is clean and neat.
Rick

Rest assured, a seat and popcorn for that next project. As a matter of fact, looking at the MTN Buggy today.
Rick

Back