Pinnace Papegojan 1627 - 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Great to see your wonderful work - it is really first class. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

and I am happy to see, that you are able to realize this work with a tool made by Roman.
I ordered the same for him recently.......together with the sander and the bending tool

BTW: Roman, the modeler and producer of this tools is also member in our forum, so you can get in contact with hime also via a PM to @RC Model

Hi All,

Thank you for your very nice comments guys Beer Beer Beer

So another small update from me.
Now I can say that standing rigging on level 1 is done ;)
Time to slowly climb on upper level.

Foremast stay done

5DM34346.JPG
5DM34349.JPG

Gammoning also done.

5DM34358.JPG

Cheers,

Matt

Hi All,

Another episode of ropes and accessories :D:p

So currently I'm working on "upper level" of standing rigging like top shrouds and stays.
However, it's a good time to consider some other parts to install at that stage, so meanwhile I'm adding stuff like topmast rope and block or leechline and buntline blocks attached to the sides of main shroud eye.
It will be easier now and this way when there is some more space for fingers and not many ropes around.... later it might be :mad::mad::mad:

You can see also, that I've manage to do main yard halyard with one of the biggest block (ramshead) on this ship, hanging quite high above the deck :)
Main yard is just test fitted and it will be removed.

Now it's time to jump to foremast top as it has similar "setup", but with just a little bit smaller rope diameter and blocks sizes.
Then last stay, which is fore topmast stay and somewhere in between futtock shrouds... and I will be ready to start with standing rigging tension adjustments and most likely fixing it in permanent position (hopefully ROTF)

5DM34379.JPG

5DM34377.JPG

5DM34375.JPG

5DM34410.JPG

5DM34416.JPG

5DM34417.JPG

5DM34415.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

Hi All,

Another episode of ropes and accessories :D:p

So currently I'm working on "upper level" of standing rigging like top shrouds and stays.
However, it's a good time to consider some other parts to install at that stage, so meanwhile I'm adding stuff like topmast rope and block or leechline and buntline blocks attached to the sides of main shroud eye.
It will be easier now and this way when there is some more space for fingers and not many ropes around.... later it might be :mad::mad::mad:

You can see also, that I've manage to do main yard halyard with one of the biggest block (ramshead) on this ship, hanging quite high above the deck :)
Main yard is just test fitted and it will be removed.

Now it's time to jump to foremast top as it has similar "setup", but with just a little bit smaller rope diameter and blocks sizes.
Then last stay, which is fore topmast stay and somewhere in between futtock shrouds... and I will be ready to start with standing rigging tension adjustments and most likely fixing it in permanent position (hopefully ROTF)

View attachment 222778

View attachment 222777

View attachment 222776

View attachment 222779

View attachment 222781

View attachment 222782

View attachment 222780

Cheers,
Matt
Beyond words! How did you make that gorgeous block strop with hook?

Thank you so much guys for such a nice comments! Beer Beer Beer

@Gennaro
No secret technology involved :)
Just a piece of brass wire, hammer and anvil... and little bit of silver solder.

Brass wire for strop flattened by hammer for desired thickness. Part of the wire for hook obviously is kept round.
Then just soldering and shaping. Final finish using files and sand paper.

Cheers,
Matt

5DM34439.JPG

Hi All,

Recently someone took my inspiration, so I had some time off from my model :p:D
Anyway, it came back so here's some update.

Standing rigging it's almost completed. Just futtock shrouds are missing.
I guess it's good time to start doing final tension adjustment...

All leechline and buntline blocks got their place on the shrouds.
Also, you can see crowfoot on mainstay (interesting piece of rigging, used as a preventer for sails to go under the top)

Enjoy the photos!

5DM34496.JPG
5DM34500.JPG
5DM34494.JPG
5DM34501.JPG
5DM34526.JPG
5DM34504.JPG
5DM34523.JPG
5DM34520.JPG
5DM34521.JPG5DM34491.JPG

5DM34518.JPG
5DM34505.JPG
5DM34514.JPG

At that stage model looks like as below ;)

5DM34539.JPG
5DM34480.JPG
5DM34530.JPG

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
Great work. I just started the rigging, making plans, ropes and parts. This here is a inspiration to make it like this. I will give it a try, hoping to reach your skill level :)

your rigging works is simply beautiful - the quality of ropes, the color, blocks etc. everything 1.st class

Only one small thing I realized in one photo.
the dead ends of the topmast shrouds are directed on one side towards th bow and on the other side towards the stern.
I am now not 100% sure, but should they not directed on both sides in the same direction, as I remember twoards the stern?

5DM34496.JPG

here is one sketch showing this (I do not remember anymore from which book I have this)
shrouds deadeyes.jpg

Please check this, and if necessary I think with opening the lanyards and turning the shrouds by 180° and new installation of the lanyards it is corrected

@Steef66 thank you for your comment. Good luck with your rigging ;) PW has more complex rigging... so it's a challenge to do it right :)

@Uwek thank you also for your nice comment.
Regarding your doubt:

This is actually quite interesting thing.
Ships were rigged with shrouds either left or right-handed on both sides, but also right-handed on port (larboard) side and left-handed on starboard side (this was not commonly in use)
For right-handed ropes short ends of the shrouds seized around the deadeye should be to the right to standing part (looking from inboard).
So... for all right-handed shrouds... looking at them from outboard... port (larboard) side, short ends should face forward of the ship... and for the starboard side short ends should face aft of the ship.

if... all shrouds are left-handed... then short ends should face: on port side - aft and starboard side - forward

if... port side has right-handed and starboard side has left-handed shrouds then all short ends should face forward.

Nicely confusing... but really interesting :)

Obviously... I'm too dumb to have this knowledge from myself :D
I'm freely quoting Mondfeld ;)

Cheers,
Matt

@Steef66 thank you for your comment. Good luck with your rigging ;) PW has more complex rigging... so it's a challenge to do it right :)

@Uwek thank you also for your nice comment.
Regarding your doubt:

This is actually quite interesting thing.
Ships were rigged with shrouds either left or right-handed on both sides, but also right-handed on port (larboard) side and left-handed on starboard side (this was not commonly in use)
For right-handed ropes short ends of the shrouds seized around the deadeye should be to the right to standing part (looking from inboard).
So... for all right-handed shrouds... looking at them from outboard... port (larboard) side, short ends should face forward of the ship... and for the starboard side short ends should face aft of the ship.

if... all shrouds are left-handed... then short ends should face: on port side - aft and starboard side - forward

if... port side has right-handed and starboard side has left-handed shrouds then all short ends should face forward.

Nicely confusing... but really interesting :)

Obviously... I'm too dumb to have this knowledge from myself :D
I'm freely quoting Mondfeld ;)

Cheers,
Matt
every day something to learn - many thanks for the detailed information - hope, that here Mondfeld was correct, but I guess yes
Many Thanks for the explanation

I actually thought that shrouds are of shroud z laid rope, which would mean that on PS as well as SB the rope has a Z lay. The would mean indeed that Matti s installation is correct.
From a rope maker I have learned that there is a slight difference in strength of a Z or S layed rope. On a ship this is certainly not a thing you would like on a shroud that the SB side has a different strenght as the PS side. There fore you would expect the same rope lay direction on both sides and my bet would be Z layed.

Hi Mat.n,

I am new to model ship building in wood and having almost completed the masts and yards of my Endeavour, I am approaching the difficult task of rigging the ship.
That said, and as a newbie, I can still recognize quality, and your build is demonstrating copious amounts of quality. Congratulations. A stimulous for me when rigging my ship.

Trevor.

Back