Pinta Amati [COMPLETED BUILD]

Wasn't sure I wanted to start a build, but reading others posts its seems like a good idea. Not sure I can keep it going, but will try. I haven't built a POB since 1984. I'm now 74 and it getting a little hard to see details. I do have a good magnifying headset with light that really helpsl. I had a ton of ship building stuff in the closet for the past 32 years!! I had forgotten about most of it. I pulled it all out and setup a workshop that's really nice (for me) for ship building. Bought some more (modern) tools for shipbuilding to add to my existing tools. Bought some (not too hard) POB kits. Pinta and Saint Marie by Amati. I have started on the Pinta.

I took a few photos after I had most of the hull 1st planked. I have a couple questions which I will post later concerning about where I am in the build.

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

The ships I built back in '82 - '84 or so were large ships Wasa, Golden Hind, and another I can't remember. You had to cut all the parts during that time as laser cuts were around yet. Boy, laser cut pieces are NICE! This ships were single plank. I don't remember any dual plank hulls. These kits I now have are dual hull. I had read you don't have to be careful about planking the first plank. Just get the hull covered, use wood filler (I got elmers) and fair it to look good from all angles. Sound about right?

Smoothing out the hull. The center bulkheads come pretty close to the edge of the keep. There wasn't a rabbit on the plans. I've sanded the planks next to the keel a little extra to expose more keel wood. A little less keel will be exposed when I apply the 2nd planks. Think I need to sand more to expose more keel at the bow and along the bow? Or just leave it?

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

Instructions say to plank the deck before installing it on the ship. There's quite a curve to where the deck lays. Will it be okay to plank this and then fit it into the curve?

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

Got the poop deck finished. Haven't applied a sealer yet. Think I will leave the deck the natural color. I didn't like the decking in the prior pic. Thought planks were too short. Tore them off and replaced. I have a bunch of old lumber from earlier modeling days and used some of that wood for both decks. Still need to mark the planks on the main deck. Up next is to finalize smoothing the hull, then plank it. I'll have to read about the correct way to plank as don't remember what I did years ago.

IMG_1646.JPG

Got the hull finished and ready for the walnut planks. I needed to plank the stern first. I have a tiny glue dispenser that's great to tiny stuff. I made a video applying the glue and plank, but guess one must have a youtube account to make videos and upload them. So I guess it will be photos.

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 10.16.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 10.17.07 PM.png

was trying to figure out the width the planks need at the middle and both ends of the ship. this is the middle.
IMG_1653.JPG
This is the stern width. I didn't cut the plank above it very well. I've been using the technique I saw somewhere about applying glue to area then sanding to fill the area with sawdust. That's worked very well.
IMG_1652.JPG
After working by division to determine the plank width at various areas, I remembered I have this proportional compass from years ago that i used to use. Duh! Set the number of planks in the area with the thumb screw. Set the large end to the ships width. Then the small end shows the width of the 5 planks at the narrow area. So, I measure the small plank area at the stern and the small end of the proportional compass gives me the width of each of the 5 planks to fit in this area. Such a nice tool.
IMG_1654.JPG

Got the hull finished and ready for the walnut planks. I needed to plank the stern first. I have a tiny glue dispenser that's great to tiny stuff. I made a video applying the glue and plank, but guess one must have a youtube account to make videos and upload them. So I guess it will be photos.

View attachment 294568

View attachment 294569

What is your trick to keep yellow glue not clogging in the needle?

Back