Pirate Ship W.I.P Build Log

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum, just recently joined. I don't really have any prior experience building model ships and am looking to expand on my current knowledge. I have always loved the age of sail and I wanted to make a fantasy ship design but still create something that would be functional. I am currently working on a pirate ship model in Blender and I wanted to make sort of a progress or build log for that. If the topic needs to be moved to another category let me know . As for this project I wanted to make a Pirate ship model and am still working on modeling part of the deck fittings. If anyone has any feedback or thoughts, I greatly welcome and appreciate it. I will be posting more updates as i finish more of the build soon. Below These images I will also post a mood board with reference images and more information.

Thank you.
Pirate Ship WIP 2.png
Pirate Ship WIP 1.png
This build is going to be a fantasy inspired pirate ship set in the golden age of piracy around the early 18th century. I am going for something is not 100% accurate to a single reference image, but I wanted something that still had all of the working elements of a real ship. For this build I think I am just going to stick to the exterior for now. This also is an exercise for me in expanding my own knowledge in how these ships were built and constructed. The image below was the main image i used for the initial hull of the ship and to assist me in figuring out the proportions of some of the higher decks in my 3d model compared to the image.
Some of these other plans I am using for the sails and deck layout as well

Currently, I am working on the masts to get those modeled with some fighting tops and spars, I can also post more images if need be to get a more detailed view if it would help with feedback. Thank you everyone!

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum, just recently joined. I don't really have any prior experience building model ships and am looking to expand on my current knowledge. I have always loved the age of sail and I wanted to make a fantasy ship design but still create something that would be functional. I am currently working on a pirate ship model in Blender and I wanted to make sort of a progress or build log for that. If the topic needs to be moved to another category let me know . As for this project I wanted to make a Pirate ship model and am still working on modeling part of the deck fittings. If anyone has any feedback or thoughts, I greatly welcome and appreciate it. I will be posting more updates as i finish more of the build soon. Below These images I will also post a mood board with reference images and more information.

Thank you.
View attachment 238935
View attachment 238936
This build is going to be a fantasy inspired pirate ship set in the golden age of piracy around the early 18th century. I am going for something is not 100% accurate to a single reference image, but I wanted something that still had all of the working elements of a real ship. For this build I think I am just going to stick to the exterior for now. This also is an exercise for me in expanding my own knowledge in how these ships were built and constructed. The image below was the main image i used for the initial hull of the ship and to assist me in figuring out the proportions of some of the higher decks in my 3d model compared to the image.
Some of these other plans I am using for the sails and deck layout as well

Currently, I am working on the masts to get those modeled with some fighting tops and spars, I can also post more images if need be to get a more detailed view if it would help with feedback. Thank you everyone!
Have a lot of success in the interesting project you are getting into. I will follow with great interest, glad you share with us :) Thumbsup

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Hallo and once more a warm welcome here on board - this is really an interesting project and we will try to help and assist where every we are able.

Only just a first fast comment, looking at your excerpts of references you show. You should not mix too much the different periods of the age of sail.
We can see relatively "modern" frigates and also "older" ships
-> you mentioned early 18th century so I would try as much as possible to stay in this period especially with the details of deck layout, masting and rigging etc.

Hello Shota70 and Uwek,

Thank you both for your comments, I really appreciate it. I am aware that my reference images are all over the place in terms of time period. I had difficulty trying to find references for singles decked frigates before 1740. I used some of these just to give an idea of kind of a roundabout look that I was going for. I also used them to get a general Idea of the different parts that go into the functionality of a ship, Capstan, Helm, Belay Pin Racks, etc. I understand that the details I'm sure are vastly different from one ship even of the same time period to the next. I know a little about some of the different details but I still have a lot to learn. I will be posting another update here shortly and I will post more detailed images of some of the different parts of the ship that I created and go over more of my thought process because again I am sure it is a little all over the place. Thank you both for your time and help.

Update; I modeled the masts, fighting tops and put in some sails just to see how it looks, I will probably sculpt in some more lines and wrinkles in them later on in the process. I am also including some close up shots of some of the different parts of the ship, so hopefully things are a bit easier to see in a little more detail. I will also post updates on the stern of the ship, I haven't modeled a whole lot in that area right now so there is nothing really to look at so i did not include that, but I will when i get around to it. Hopefully this helps to see things a bit more clearly and thank you everyone for your help and expertise. I really appreciate all of the feedback.Pirate Ship WIP 4.pngPirate Ship WIP Bow.pngPirate Ship WIP Capstan.pngPirate Ship WIP Fighting Tops.pngPirate Ship WIP Helm.pngPirate Ship WIP Quarter Galleries.pngPirate Ship WIP Waist.png

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

There is already a lot of work and research in your design - Great

If you are looking for additional contemporary information, maybe you can follow this when ever you have time and mood

Here is a list of more or less all british frigates

and also french frigates

you can search here for the time period you would like, f.e 1740

I took f.e. the french frigate, which was captured by the british
  • Panthère, (one-off 20-gun design of 1743 by Jacques-Luc Coulomb, with 20 x 6-pounder guns; launched February 1744 at Brest) – captured by British Navy 1745, becoming HMS Amazon.

and now you can go the National Maritime museum and check if they meassured the french ship and made drawings

YES - here we have a contemporary drawing of the captured vessel

j4236.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan with stern board decoration and "Panther" in a cartouche, sheer lines with inboard detail and figurehead, and a longitudinal half-breadth for Amazon (captured 1745), a captured French frigate, as fitted at Plymouth as a 20-gun Sixth Rate Corvette. Her original French name was 'Panthere', although the name on the plan spells it with one 'e'. The plan also includes pencil amendments relating to the Myrmidon (1781), a 24-gun Sixth Rate based on the Amazon. NMM, Progress Book, volume 2, folio 414, states that the 'Amazon' was docked to be surveyed at Plymouth Dockyard, arriving on 6 August 1745 and launched on 13 September 1745.

Under search browse you can enter the ships name and helpful is the year of the launch (or captured)

f.e. the british build frigates I checked the Lowestoffe 1742

j6179.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with some inboard detail, and longitudinal half-breadth initially for Lowestoffe (1742) and in January 1742 for Aldborough (1743), and with alterations to the body plan in November 1742 for Phoenix (1743) and, based on Phoenix's alterations, in May 1744 for Triton (1745), all 1741 Establishment, 20-gun Sixth Rates. The plan also relates to Alderney (1743) of the same design.

when you search for some details - some drawings are showing also details like capstans, ovens deck planking etc......

and you can find also a lot of information in our forum

Hello Uwek,

Thank you very much for all your help I will definitely take some time to look through all of this and see what I can find. I think looking through the forums to get a better sense of how some of the smaller details that go into ship construction are build will be particularly helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and for all your help, it is very much appreciated!

Update: I created more of the deck fittings and spent spent some time looking at more models and actual built ships around the time period I am going for. I created an anchor for the ship, put in the hawseholes for the anchor cables to run through at the bow. I also created some longboats to go in the waist of the ship, I still have a little work to do on those. mainly details on the rudder on the larger boat as well as decorations for both and maybe a few other things. I also made oars to go into the boats and when I get to the rigging will create tie downs for everything. I also created a belfry and spent some time deciding where to place it due to the fact that the single staircase on the forecastle is where the belfry would typically go. I decided to move it to the quarter deck behind the mainmast. I liked the look of the single staircase on the forecastle and wanted to keep that element despite it not being completely historical. I also made staircases from the poop deck down to the quarter deck and am happy with how those turned out, took me a couple of tries to get that right. I also added in some stern lanterns as well as a flag staff at the stern of the ship, along with some windows at the stern. I might change the flag staff and its construction depending on any other information I can find, that could change in the future but as of right now I haven't decided. Anyway, I think that is it for this post, Let me know what you all think, any and all critique or questions/ comments are welcome, I really appreciate all the feedback. Thank you Everyone!!!Sailing Ship Update image 1.pngShip Model Anchor update.pngShip Model Stairs update belfry.pngShip Model Stairs update.pngSailing Ship Update stern lanterns.pngSailing Ship Update stern view.png