Pocher 1:8 scale Lotus 72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

It’s becoming a motor…the two halves and bottom joined with one end…
View attachment 375102
View attachment 375103
Until next time… ;)
Nice to see how the motor is growing. And adding some personal details, Dean. A great kit for further customizing.
By the Duc I mostly tapered the holes. Considering my previous experience. But some oil or wax is a good option.
Regard, Peter

Nice to see how the motor is growing. And adding some personal details, Dean. A great kit for further customizing.
By the Duc I mostly tapered the holes. Considering my previous experience. But some oil or wax is a good option.
Regard, Peter
Thanks Peter! Tapering the holes is an option I will try, along with continuing to lubricate the threads. Some holes don't even seem to have threads. It feels like I am making the threads with the bolt on some of the die cast pieces...sigh! Hoping not to break a screw, as they are tiny.

Next was the upper mid section with intake and injectors…once again injectors were all silver, so I painted them to match pictures I found…
IMG_1124.jpeg

Then that was assembled to the motor and the transmission end was screwed on, which required chasing threads first…sigh!
And finally bolt heads painted and mild weathering was added for more realism…
IMG_1129.jpegIMG_1130.jpegIMG_1133.jpegIMG_1132.jpegIMG_1131.jpegWell that’s it for now… I will finish this sub assembly tonight. A few more parts to go… ;)

Last edited:
To finish this step, you add brackets to the motor that hold the upper shock, and then slide on the upper shock for now.
IMG_1138.jpeg
The parts were once again all silver. They painted all the die cast kit parts a base color, so it’s up to you to add more detail by doing additional painting.
Here is the upper shock as supplied…
IMG_1134.jpeg
However there is a rubber stop that is for when the shock bottoms out. It should be black. So I painted it black, and then added some mild weathering to the metal, giving it a mild varnished look where applied.
IMG_1136.jpeg
Once again, in my opinion, these extra details go a long way towards adding realism.
Now the brackets are screwed to the heads and I painted the black screws to match my bolts.
So this is assembly #6, which will be put aside to start the transmission. Also I put an injector velocity stack on one to see what it’s going to look like. Already getting excited. ;)

IMG_1137.jpeg

Thanks for stopping in…

Last edited:
To finish this step, you add brackets to the motor that hold the upper shock, and then slide on the upper shock for now.
View attachment 375205
The parts were once again all silver. They painted all kit parts a base color, so it’s up to you to add more detail by doing additional painting.
Here is the upper shock as supplied…
View attachment 375202
However there is a rubber stop that is for when the shock bottoms out. It should be black. So I painted it black, and then added some mild weathering to the metal, giving it a mild varnished look where applied.
View attachment 375203
Once again, in my opinion, these extra details go a long way towards adding realism.
Now the brackets are screwed to the heads and I painted the black screws to match my bolts.
So this is assembly #6, which will be put aside to start the transmission. Also I put an injector velocity stack on one to see what it’s going to look like. Already getting excited. ;)

View attachment 375204

Thanks for stopping in…
Just a while and we can hear the roaring sound of that Cosworth V8-engine…….. :)

Time to start on the transmission and rear end.

First gathering all the pieces…
IMG_1168.jpeg
Transmission is black, pics I have for reference show a dark grey or dark silver. Will paint them accordingly.

First order of business was the rotors…
IMG_1169.jpeg
I painted the hub, bolts, and did some weathering… and then turned them in a drill and sanded the faces where the brake pads contact.

Then I dry brushed the transmission…started with a dark grey, then dry brushed a metal color on top. Very happy with this look.
IMG_1172.jpeg

Then I added some details to the calipers, and painted the fittings and line that is attached to the one caliper.

Then it was time for final assembly.
Some pics…
IMG_1183.jpegIMG_1182.jpegIMG_1180.jpegIMG_1184.jpegIMG_1185.jpegIMG_1186.jpeg

Thanks for checking in… ;)

Last edited:
Next was page 10…
IMG_1187.jpeg
And parts DC-5 and DC-6 were black. So those were dry brushed with the grey and metal paints.
Other parts were detailed accordingly.

Pics …
IMG_1188.jpegIMG_1189.jpegIMG_1190.jpegIMG_1191.jpeg

Tomorrow I will start page 11. There is 41 pages total…so I am making good progress! ;)

Last edited:
The painting/brushing looks very good, Dean. In particular at the transmission housing it’s highlighted the details very well.
It starts to be a impressive engine.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter! Dry brushing is one of my favorite techniques. This is becoming a fun project! ;)

Last edited:
Now for page 11…
IMG_1195.jpeg
The strut arms are black with the end turnbuckles being silver or metal.
So first step was to paint them properly and add a wash to the joint where the turnbuckles and adjustment hex meet…
IMG_1202.jpeg
Next the bracket for them and the other structural piece were mounted to the bottom and the struts attached…
IMG_1204.jpeg
Now I have to go to the next step on this page, which has many parts to add, including the battery, and some hydraulic lines, etc.

Wow Dean, that's a nice looking kit. At that scale, you should think about adding working crank and pistons like I did in my 1/12 Alfa and will be doing in my current 1/12 Bentley blower. I know many older 1/8 Pocher kits have working engine innards. A bit of 3d modeling and printing would do it.

Hi Dean. Congratulations on the added venture. I think the JPS and Gold Leaf color schemes are the truly standout ones from that era. I also favor the Lotus - not because of Andretti or Fittipaldi, but because of Senna who recorded his first race win in one - albeit a much later model, of course.

Wow Dean, that's a nice looking kit. At that scale, you should think about adding working crank and pistons like I did in my 1/12 Alfa and will be doing in my current 1/12 Bentley blower. I know many older 1/8 Pocher kits have working engine innards. A bit of 3d modeling and printing would do it.
Thanks Francois! I can only imagine what you would do with it! ;)
But my opportunity for inner motor parts has passed. I will be adding additional wires and harnesses, among other things I see missing. So I am not just building out of the box, so to speak.

Hi Dean. Congratulations on the added venture. I think the JPS and Gold Leaf color schemes are the truly standout ones from that era. I also favor the Lotus - not because of Andretti or Fittipaldi, but because of Senna who recorded his first race win in one - albeit a much later model, of course.
Thank you Heinrich! Being a Formula One fanatic, and loving the older models…this is right up my alley! ;)
I really wish Pocher would make the Eagle Gurney-Westlake, another beautiful car design!
Here is a few pics…

1684947554005.png
So many beautiful cars to chose from…sigh! ;)

Last edited:
Back