Priming before second planking

jct

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question...I was wondering if anyone here has ever used a primer coat after filling and sanding the first planking? I'm thinking it could serve to show any defects and depressions present before the second planks are applied?
THX
J

On one ship I did apply a coat of walnut gel stain to the first planking because the second planking was in fact walnut and I wanted to make sure that none of the first planking of limewood managed to be seen through any cracks.

I usually apply a coat of matte varnish as I read it will help the second planking adhere much better. What you want to do sounds like a good idea because no matter how careful, my experience is that there will be bulges and dents to deal with. Any means of identifying and fixing those problems before the second planking is a great idea.

Paul

Hey Paul
The matte finish may add tooth which would allow adhesive to grab better. Staining sounds like a good idea, I sure would not want primer showing through. This ship (Half Moon) is part walnut and part tanganyka. I'll have to test some tanganyka to see what color it finishes out to, not a lot of experience with it.
THX
J

J

Good points. I think that I would get a dull gray primer as yes, it would show some problem areas that you can work on if you wish to invest that time. I don't think the gray will show through. Is your final planking going to be stained clear with some type of satin polyurethane or will it be a solid color? Either way, I think its a good idea to try.

Donnie

Hi Donnie,
My plan was to use both methods, paint below the water line and natural finish above. For paint I am planning on Humbrol's hull white and for the nest a coat of boiled linseed oil followed by a couple coats of poly. I am leaning towards priming as I know how wood can hide defects. Which ever way it goes the results will be posted in my build log.
THX
J :cool:

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question...I was wondering if anyone here has ever used a primer coat after filling and sanding the first planking? I'm thinking it could serve to show any defects and depressions present before the second planks are applied?
THX
J
I always did it in my time-19*60and forward. It will close all the tiny holes on the planks, and as you mentioned to give you information on failures ann bad connections I used my own mix-white -but as it was very hazard ta sand down,. I will not give the recipe- eye mask, mouth and nose mask etc far away from your wife, as it gets an. extremely fine dust. it was built so well, that NO 2 ND planking were needed

01 Norske love 1.jpg

Back