Prins Willem, a VOC spiegelretourship

@frankieg, Ketting's book contains a frame plan scale 1: 100. After scanning, I enlarged the frame plan to 1:75 using photoshop. Then I mirror the frames with which I had the complete frame drawing.

IMG_0547.JPG

I made the false keel with the help of the line plan that is also in this book of course it's also possible to use the longitudinal section which is on the picture.

I will follow with big interest - Great to see one Prins Willem (I have this book also somewhere...... have to search for it)

@frankieg, Ketting's book contains a frame plan scale 1: 100. After scanning, I enlarged the frame plan to 1:75 using photoshop. Then I mirror the frames with which I had the complete frame drawing.

View attachment 174076

I made the false keel with the help of the line plan that is also in this book of course it's also possible to use the longitudinal section which is on the picture.
This log was so inspiring, I bought the book (in Dutch, which I have no idea how to read!). The drawings are alone are worth it. I may have to get the German version so I can understand some of it, but I wish it was available in English. Prins Willem was a fantastic ship, a rarity to see a large cargo vessel turned into a warship, then back again.

Kurt.
I have the German version of Ketting's book from the Modellbaureihe by Delius Klasing & Co. As far as I know, the German version, like the Dutch version, is only for sale from stock lots or second hand.
If you want, I am happy to exchange my German version for your Dutch version. But I thought that the Dutch version was more luxurious than the German version.

Kurt.
I have the German version of Ketting's book from the Modellbaureihe by Delius Klasing & Co. As far as I know, the German version, like the Dutch version, is only for sale from stock lots or second hand.
If you want, I am happy to exchange my German version for your Dutch version. But I thought that the Dutch version was more luxurious than the German version.
Um, I just bought it an hour ago. It will take a month to get here.

IMG_2802.JPG

As a dinghy I use the beautiful boat from Kolderstok, which is small enough in size to be taken on deck. The boat is 12 cm on a scale of 1:75 that is 9 m in reality.

IMG_2803.JPG

It is the second time that I have build this boat. De 7 provinciën carries the same dinghy.

IMG_2804.JPG

It is again a pleasure to experience how well the Kolderstok frames and keel fit.

IMG_2806.JPG

The hull is made of walnut slats of 1x3 mm. The slats are bend with the electric plankbender before glueing on the hull.

IMG_2807.JPG

The hull is ready.

IMG_2808.JPG

And is still waiting for a sanding.

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

I painted the pot lid light blue. The blue pigment in the 17th century was based on lapis lazuli and terribly expensive and therefore unlikely that the captain of the PW could afford it.
But I like it and nowadays blue paint is no longer expensive.

Very good work.
I have one question to the angle of the bowsprit which has a bigger distance to the figurehead, than shown in the Corel drawings of the kit.
IMG_2813.JPG Prins_Willem.jpg

You are building based on Herman Ketting book and drawings - does it mean, that the drawings from Ketting are different to the Corel drawings? Are the angles of the bowsprit and the form of Gallion differ to the Corel interpretation?

@Maarten was once making a Book review and showed also some excerpts of the plans
20200109_092753.jpg

Maybe you take a look at the angle of the bowsprit and check it once more in comparison to the drawings

Dear Uwe,
Nicely noticed. I have checked the drawing of Ketting, the cross section also gives a smaller angle for the bowsprit. Despite the fact that I have taken over the recess for the bowsprit in the false keel from the longitudinal section, reality still turns out wrong. Mysterious why this is. I'm going to see what I can still change about this.

Dear Uwe,

I took a closer look at the bowsprit angle problem. The distance between the lion and the bowsprit is not caused by the angle of the bowsprit, but the railing of the galleon should have been raised about one cm further so that the lion also comes higher. I didn't pay much attention here during construction. Too bad but I'll leave it that way.

Lately, modeling has stood still for a while. Our siamese tomcat Karel fell ill and we made many vet visits. Ultimately, Karel turned out to have a tumor in the abdomen that could no longer be cured.
In the end we had to take the sad decision to put Karel to sleep.

IMG_0015.jpg

Construction has now started again and all three masts are ready and are dry-fit (read: scotch and crooked) on the model.
The rigging of the ship can begin, aligning the masts properly.

IMG_3341.JPG

Hallo Andre,
It must have been a tough decision with your cat. I was 6 years ago almost in the same position with my dog. (Sterkte met het verlies. Don’t know how to say it in Englisch).
But life goes on. Building on your model can now be a welcom distraction.
Regards, Peter

Back