• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Prins Willem, a VOC spiegelretourship

The next project will be the Willem Ruys made of cardboard.
Ab Hoving inspired me at Ever considered to scratch build from card to choose this material.
Because it concerns the first time building in cardboard, I chose an existing model from Scaldis to familiarize myself with this material.
If I like it I will then venture on a 17th / 18th century cardboard sailing ship.
I will keep a log of the construction in the section SOS Build logs from paper/cardstock.
 
Congratulations for this beautiful built model - very good work :cool:
 
The Prins Willem is probably the largest spiegelretourship (a merchant vessel for the East-India trade), that was build in the 17th century by the VOC (United East-India trade companies).
In 1650 the ship was launched in Middelburg.
In 1651 the ship sailed the first time to Batatvia (East-India).
In the first war between England and Holland (Actually the Republic of the seven procinces) the VOC barrowed 5 vessels to the state to serve in the war.
To fulfill the function as ship of war the armament was enlarged. The PW was for a short period the flagship of admiral Witte de Wit. After participate in the battle of Duins the ship was returned to the VOC.
The PW served as retourship for the VOC until 1662. In 1662 the ship was wrecked in a heavy storm near the isle of Mauritius.

The model will be fitted like she was after the returning to the VOC.
I'll use the book of Herman Ketting incl. the belonging plans.
Actually the building has started the end of may and some progress has been made. I keep a build-log on a dutch modellers forum modelbouwforum.nl, the coming days I'll make a build-log on this forum too.

View attachment 172088

By means of photoshop I've enlarged the plans to a scale of 1:75

View attachment 172089

For the method of building I've chosen for the method most frequented by kit-models. It's a very nice jigsaw piece of work.
The Prins Willem is probably the largest spiegelretourship (a merchant vessel for the East-India trade), that was build in the 17th century by the VOC (United East-India trade companies).
In 1650 the ship was launched in Middelburg.
In 1651 the ship sailed the first time to Batatvia (East-India).
In the first war between England and Holland (Actually the Republic of the seven procinces) the VOC barrowed 5 vessels to the state to serve in the war.
To fulfill the function as ship of war the armament was enlarged. The PW was for a short period the flagship of admiral Witte de Wit. After participate in the battle of Duins the ship was returned to the VOC.
The PW served as retourship for the VOC until 1662. In 1662 the ship was wrecked in a heavy storm near the isle of Mauritius.

The model will be fitted like she was after the returning to the VOC.
I'll use the book of Herman Ketting incl. the belonging plans.
Actually the building has started the end of may and some progress has been made. I keep a build-log on a dutch modellers forum modelbouwforum.nl, the coming days I'll make a build-log on this forum too.

View attachment 172088

By means of photoshop I've enlarged the plans to a scale of 1:75

View attachment 172089

For the method of building I've chosen for the method most frequented by kit-models. It's a very nice jigsaw piece of work.
Do you have the drawings/blueprints which you've used in your build? I know it's for sale, however...I'm broke.
I need these digital images for references, as I'm planning on scratch-building a ship apparently only mentioned in the old VOC shipping lists, which is likely similar (yet smaller than) the Prins Willem.
So...can I cyber-beg some pictures?
 
Do you have the drawings/blueprints which you've used in your build? I know it's for sale, however...I'm broke.
I need these digital images for references, as I'm planning on scratch-building a ship apparently only mentioned in the old VOC shipping lists, which is likely similar (yet smaller than) the Prins Willem.
So...can I cyber-beg some pictures?
Who are you? Your profile is unreadable.
 
What would you like to know?
Just wanted to make sure you weren't a spammer. This is your first post, and the first and only thing you post was to ask for someone else's plans. Usually most modelers participate in the forum to some degree before holding their hand out. Just saying... it looks suspicious. Our forum has been the target of thieves and scammers before, you understand. Plans cost someone a great deal of work to create. Occasionally young students looking for free help just ask for plans for a school project and tell us nothing about what they will do with them.

What model project are you working on? What type of ship models interest you? If you are working on a current model, why not post a build log so we can admire your work and offer advice? Introduce yourself. That's the least you can do if you expect members, some of which are internationally reknowned historians, to assist you.
 
Last edited:
Just wanted to make sure you weren't a spammer. This is your first post, and the first and only thing you post was to ask for someone else's plans. Usually most modelers participate in the forum to some degree before holding their hand out. Just saying... it looks suspicious. Our forum has been the target of thieves and scammers before, you understand. Plans cost someone a great deal of work to create. Occasionally young students looking for free help just ask for plans for a school project and tell us nothing about what they will do with them.

What model project are you working on? What type of ship models interest you? If you are working on a current model, why not post a build log so we can admire your work and offer advice? Introduce yourself. That's the least you can do if you expect members, some of which are internationally reknowned historians, to assist you.
Well, I apologise if I seem to be a spammer/bot/thief/scammer, I usually try to be concise and to the point and not beat around the bush, as I see you are likewise.

Let me start here then - Pleased to meet you. DWL is my initials, and a part of one of my names is Wolf, so if you'd like you can call me that.

I'm no student of any university which requires me to have any sort of architectural skill, so my interest in ships is merely a hobby. I am very aware that these plans are expensive, hence me begging people online (I'm a wage-slave by trade if you're wondering).

I've been interested in wooden/sail ships since I can remember, and have built a wooden kit before of a gunboat of the "Principe de Asturias", however I've never scratch-built anything wooden, so I've decided that it's time to start. I can take some pictures of my shoddy model if you'd like.

I've been obsessed with VOC ships for a while now, especially any "retourschip", as they once played an interesting hybrid role, alongside the fact that some of my family worked on one of them around the 1700's.

Believe it or not and, not to brag, but I'm of international renown myself -

I'm the one and only "me"
(Or atleast it's what my mother told me)
 
Just type free ship plans in google. The second link should satisfy you.
Also if you want to start with a baisc set SeaHorse has paper/card stock models to wich you can buy some acessories like sculptures or pulleys. It's a polish company, but I think it sends worldwide

 
Back
Top