Privateer Viper 1/24th Scale

So Home from work tonight I did something I usually do but it isn't necessary. However I added in between stations to the drawings. I did create a duplicate file of the loft for this method. What it does is allows me to grab the shapes in between what I used for the loft, and to check them for any imperfections which would mean something went goofy in the loft. I then correct that station sketch and move to the next. If I find no errors then no worries if I do then after I correct them I reloft the hull using the in between stations I just created and that will usually fix any problems.

24 Scale Privateer -36.png

So the next thing we need to tackle is those last 2 stations that lead up to the front porch. you will notice in the first image they have a nob that sticks out at the top. You can do a loft with that and get it to work but it is very messy to get it all worked out. My solution is in the second image where you bring the sides of the station straight up and loft the hull that way and then do a small loft for that nob area. I will eventually get to that and show as I go, however I wanted to show ahead of time as it gives you an idea of what we are up against.

Now you may have to do some fudging around of the top shapes to get the angles etc correct but usually if you follow the flow of the station you can come pretty close. Also using the top guide for our loft we can see how it is runniong and make a nice flow (will show when get there when I start it after a good nights sleep.

24 Scale Privateer -37.png24 Scale Privateer -38.png

Ok so I decided to do a little messing with this before bed. Looking at the design on this ship that nob is horizontal which makes our life a little easier (I Hope)

so I drew a short guide in place and looked at it from 3 different views and it turned out fairly decent looking.

24 Scale Privateer -39.png24 Scale Privateer -40.png24 Scale Privateer -41.png

so next I drew a perfectly horizontal line to be sure everything was lined up. Then I took a dimension from our origin point to that line. Next I will create a top plane (horizontal plane) and then using the loft intersect it with the plane which will give me a guide. I will then draw a spline from the aft all the way forward including those 2 stations. Then reloft the entire hull and if everything works out we will have a nice smooth blend. (yea right im not holding my breath)

24 Scale Privateer -42.png24 Scale Privateer -43.png

So I loaded all the station sketches and drew my guide spline. in the second photo if you look closely you will see a light blue line. that is the short guide I made and it was off ever so slightly (3/16") and at full scale that is nothing. So next I will see if I can loft the entire hull without too much trouble. I may need to readd the waterline guide below it to tighten the shape up a bit but so far looking good

24 Scale Privateer -45.png24 Scale Privateer -46.png

Ok so because the top guide and my nob guide come really close together it wont let me complete the loft of a full hull, however this is not a problem cause I can just do 2 lofts and looking at the front it turned out pretty good. there is a long black line but thats just because of the guide i added its only a visual thing with the program

24 Scale Privateer -47.png

So I got the loft finished and it is looking pretty good. You wont know for 100% sure until you make all your frames, however going by the stuff you already have you can just fudge each frame. Later today when I get up I will use all those in-between planes we made and tell the program to draw a curve that intersects the hull and the plane. basically its telling the program to trace exactly the outside of the hull and put it on the plane location you selected. this is how we can tell if we good or need to adjust stuff.

You can see from the last image however if I turn off edges you can see a smooth flow starting at the arrow to the bow section.

24 Scale Privateer -48.png

24 Scale Privateer -49.png24 Scale Privateer -50.png

so far it looks like i coulda held my breath and not suffocated lol. heading to bed for a few hrs as it is almost 4am here and will continue when i get up and we can do the fun stuff like the interior loft so that we have full frame shapes.

Oh one last thing before Bed I forgot to post images after I mirrored the hull. Looking pretty Good !!!!!
G'day Joseph
I sorry to say I don't agree when you said "Looking Pretty Good!!!!!!"
You should have said "Looking Bloody Good!!!!!!!!!!!"
That is how we would say it in Australia.
Happy3Dmodeling
Greg

Sooo Looking at my intersects for the intermediates it seems at the widest point my DF is widest part, however as I move up it is narrower than the 4 stations in front of it which doesn't seem correct so I will have to do a small amount of fidging in the center area to correct this. Next I will look at the aft stations. the good thing is everything has a nice smooth flow to it.

One way to correct this is to look at my guides and to skip a few stations when lofting. it is an easy correction to make, but that is why we add intermediates etc so we can check all this.

the light blue line is the first Dead Flat

24 Scale Privateer -54.png

so I found the problem and that is my 2 mid waterlines bowed slightly so now I need to do some tweaks so it will take a few minutes to adjust and then we will be in good shape. as i said before it is all trial and error but it saves in the long run on wood or sanding, which is why doing it in 3D is better than by hand as most of the guys don't change their plans after they draw them they lazy and figure just sand out the errors. I am anal why sand out errors why not give correct shapes from the beginning especially those that try to sell their plans for money you are only ripping off your customers by not giving them top notch plans from the start. I guess they only care about the fast buck. I can see $20 to $30 dollar plans having some errors as they just giving some basic set but when you get to $70-$100 dollars or more you are ripping off people.

so last night after work i just came home and passed out. I am struggling to fight off this head cold coming on due to all the cold warm cold warm we been having here

Back