Privateer Viper 1/24th Scale

Soooo Have tomorrow off so will do some more. Tonight after work I finished the profile for now. I will work on the fancy stuff later on. So now I will resave this file as Bodyplan. This way the original profile remains in place for tracing details later on. On this new file I will adjust the sketch to line up the Body Plan to the Profile plan. I may end up just drawing the stations from steels book but for now will see how it goes.

I also added waterlines every 24" to make things easier later on.

Privateer-13.png

So today I am struggling a little as the waterline plan and the lines showing the top of the rail arent very clear they are only partials. So I am placing the stations in place and will use them to help create proper guide lines

Ok I have from the DF Aft Finished. Once I get the Front Finished I will go ahead and create waterlines using the stations as guides. This will Fare out my Hull.

lol why cant I ever find a set of plans that will make my life easier hehe

Privateer-14.png

Now I need to figure out how the framing on these swedish ships were. I still have the aft area to finish but im totally lost there for now. and until I can figure out how the swedish framed their yachts im kinda at a stand still time to do some research.

So been busy at work am working some after work on my original ship while trying unsuccessfully trying to find info of framing of the swedish ships. I got 4 days off starting fri so will have lots of time. Working on the inner frames of first ship and so far going ok. Will try to post pics when I get a chance. In the meantime if anyone has any info on framing of swedish ships would really appreciate it. I could wing it and do like British but would rather try to be as authentic as possible.

Last edited:
not sure when it was built only saw the drawings off the swedish museum site and downloaded them after someone on gamelabs said that the model of the ship was this chapman plans. the hard part is trying to figure out how the transom is done. if you look it doesnt really have a back end like most ships the hull kinda flows up in a smooth rounded flows and no hard edges

1 more night then 4 days off yay.

someone on gamelabs said that the model of the ship was this chapman plans

that is confirmed I have the Chapman plan collection and I found the plan so that dates the ship circa 1768

if anyone has any info on framing of swedish ships would really appreciate it. I could wing it and do like British but would rather try to be as authentic as possible.

Blaise Ollivier describes the framing used at that period and it looks like this really tough to draw out and even harder to build because the only thing that held the framing in place was the hull planking.

frameshape1C.jpg

frameshape1D.jpg

yea thats similar to what the dutch did. the dutch laid out the outside planking and then built the frames to match the natural bending of the outer planking. but this could be a fun unusual way to frame one

Ok so before I go try and figure out the original chapman ship I decided to finish fareing this front section. I have 15 waterlines 1/2" spacing. For the most part everything was within 1/8" except the top 1 1/2" which we could see was way off. I got all the outer frames fared up and when I get up will do the inners and then go back to the chapman ship and see if I can figure out frame thicknesses etc and get that framed up since that was the main ship and I just took a break while tried to figure it all out.

Privateer-22.png

So Couldnt sleep very well last night and it is all Daves Fault!!!!! Now that he posted those images I remember seeing an article on all that type framing somewhere and it was in English on that style framing but for the life of me I couldnt find it. But today I am just going back to my Privateer so the first thing I need to do is to refresh my memory on how to locate the first second third etc Futtock Joints so that I can get their locations drawn in the profile. if I remember correctly it had something to do with where the various Diagonals crossed the Body Plan but I will look it up. Then I will start making my parts for the main body and worry abt the aft area last.

I Found the descriptions in my Naiad book by Ed Tosti where in a section of Vol. 1 he explains the process of cad drafting a ship. His Naiad books Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 are well worth the price of having in your library and one day I will build it as the books and plans are very well done. it is How I expect a set of plans with the books to be done to make it worth the money. I only wished the entire plan set was in cad format to make it easier to scale up or down.

Privateer-23.png

So Right Now I am using the same technique of creating waterlines from the loft just to check for fareness and deviations. So far only small minor corrections are needed. since I didnt use any waterlines as guides, and as soon as they are corrected I will reloft using the waterlines then I can start creating my stations.

Back