Ragusian Galley by Don Robinson - MarisStella

Hello all and a Happy June 1st. Thanks to you all for your likes comments and for just stopping in, it is all much appreciated.
A short but sweet little update. I took the Galley for her first visit outside for some pictures, it's a beautiful day here.

IMG_2697.jpg
The stern railing is now completed

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg
And the stern decorations

IMG_2701.jpg
I just thought this was kind of a cool picture

IMG_2706.jpg
One final picture.

Next up is the cannons for the bow. Hopefully this won't take very long and maybe the grass will be a little greener!!

Have a great weekend!!

Hello all, thanks for all your visits, likes and comments.
Since last we met I have completed the stern windows and installed the cannons c/w carriages. Not really that much shipyard work but yard work and various other tasks have been keeping me busy.

IMG_2711.JPG
Cutting out the spots for the windows

IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2719.JPG
The carriages are laser cut cap squares(trunnion straps) are photo etched along with the insignia which are glued on to the barrels

IMG_2720.jpg
The window frames are laser cut and the window gratings are photo etched

IMG_2721.jpgIMG_2724.jpg

That's it for now. Next up is doing a few touch ups then the rudder and tiller

Later

Hey all you modellers, how is your day going? Thanks to you all for visiting, liking and commenting it is great!
Some more work has been done on the galley and I thought you may like to see:

IMG_2728.jpg
The rudder is 3 pieces of laser cut walnut, the top part that goes through the hull requires a little shaping. The tiller is also laser cut but in my case I needed to make one from scratch as the supplied one was ruined by the modeller!o_O Pins were soldered to the photo etched straps then bent to shape. These were later cleaned up and painted

IMG_2744.jpg
Here is the tiller attached to rudder. I was worried about the roped part being out of scale but it works out to around 14 cm so that should be ok, as long as Shrek is the helmsman

IMG_2745.jpg
The flagstaff is made from walnut dowel the top is made from a larger dowel that was drilled out, glued in place then followed by some shaping. The straps were also photo etched that were shaped and painted.

IMG_2748.jpg
At the bow the spur was installed along with the holder thingy(don't know proper name for this piece).

IMG_2751.jpg
Another angle of the tiller and flagstaff

IMG_2756.jpg
Stairs were also completed and installed. The sides were laser cut and showed where to cut the rabbets for the steps

IMG_2753.jpg
And a full shot showing the completed rudder installed. I just noticed the bottom strap on the rudder probably should be black or the part on the hull changed. I will give this some thought.

Thanks everyone for stopping by, hope you enjoyed the update. Next up is the 30 oars needed and another sail to make. Rigging is soon to come!!!!! Should be exciting. Haha

Have a Good One

Back