• "Annual SOS Donation Drive Underway"
    Please consider making a Donation to SOS to support our growth and developement.
    https://www.paypal.me/DonateSOS
    Please check and read your email subject [Donations] from sosforums@shipsofscale.com for more details.

Rainbow J Class 1934 America’s Cup Defender - Amati - 1:80 Scale by Barry1

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

A beautiful classic yacht - she is looking great Thumbsup
Congratulations for this built

salm

Also building the Rainbow - Have gotten to the decking and was going to go with straight planks parallel to the centerline and a very outer plank curved to give a clean edge - do you think this would work? - Any reason you went with the curved decking? My 1st model and trying to minimize the complexity
THanks

Barry1

Also building the Rainbow - Have gotten to the decking and was going to go with straight planks parallel to the centerline and a very outer plank curved to give a clean edge - do you think this would work? - Any reason you went with the curved decking? My 1st model and trying to minimize the complexity
THanks
I tried to follow the instructions which indicated a tapered look. While this may be more historically accurate if I had it to do again I would have done what you are planning as well. Hope this helps.

Maarten

Staff member

I tried to follow the instructions which indicated a tapered look. While this may be more historically accurate if I had it to do again I would have done what you are planning as well. Hope this helps.
This way of planking is seen in a lot of classic yachts. The planks meet in the middle in the King Plank, see sketch below. It gives your model a fantastic look to do it that way as it emphasizes the shape of the hull.6a010536216f64970b01b7c8879dcf970b-800wi.jpg