Ratliner tool

Have tried one many Years ago-although you can still buy it-with a VERY BAD result. The old fashion way is absolutely the best. Some make a draft -from the Plan, and set this behind the faster through. I did it in another way. To planking list -a bit longer than the bottom, cut down to the size of each place to make knots. One on the backside and the other on the front. At the end of each side. A pair of Close pins held them in place. One done, move up one step and so on. This way it is much easier to make the knots.
Sorry for resending it, but to many spelling mistakes.

Interesting. Do you have to do the bottom masts first?
There are many opinions about the sequence of rigging your model. The sequence that I use is inside to outside...front to back...bottom to top. What you want is to be able to get at the belay points, blocks, and seizing without other rigging getting in the way. To answer your question I would start with the bottom mast rigging then work up. Place your bottom mast...then do the shrouds and stays for that mast section...then add the next level mast...do the shrouds and stays for that, etc.

From the experiences of others rigging is not always easy or straight forward. Ratlines tend to be difficult to get them even and parallel without collapsing the shrouds...pulling in the ratline knots too tight. Lots of tricks out there, some better than others. I have found success and consistency using a lined 3x5 card clipped onto the outer shrouds as a guide for placing the ratlines. Works for scales in the 1/48 to 1/60 range. I also use black standard sewing thread for my ratlines In the same scale range. Be gentle in tightening the knots so you don’t squeeze in the shrouds. Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Back