Rattlesnake by MS

Four ladders to the quarter deck and from the rail to the gun deck constructed and installed. Mizzen mast and main mast platforms and mast coats. Also a small scuttle right behind the main mast platform.

I'm going to delay installing the elm pumps until I know how much room I'll have with the longboat mounted. The handles are rather longish and I'll place the pumps where it makes the most sense. The plans have them jammed in under the overhang of the quarterdeck. I'm also installing a fife rail between the main mast and gallows bits (platform for the longboat) and really don't know how much room I'll have back there.

fgjgh.jpgxcbvcfvb.jpgbjhfgh.jpg

Another pair of cannon rigged up, two pair to go. Also added a fife rail in front of the main mast. This is not on the plans but para-quoting Darth Vader: "I find the lack of belaying points....disturbing." And two more pin racks on either side of the mizzen mast.

cghdfgc.jpgbhvjxvgb.jpgcsgvbcbv.jpg

This is the footprint of the Russian longboat mini-kit I purchased from Ebay. Total cost including shipping was $11. After I finish rigging the last four cannon I'll get to the longboat. This boat is 20mm shorter than the kit provided longboat. I think it's much more in scale and it does allow room for the fife rail in back and (possibly) the elm pumps up front more towards the bow. I'll probably leave installation of the elm pumps last just before I start rigging the masts and place them where it makes the most sense.

cbvcbv.jpg

The last four cannon rigged up. You can see in the last picture a subtle difference in spacing between the second and third cannon on the starboard side compared with the port side. This is evidence of imperfect bulkhead fairing and imperfect planking. There is a very slight curve to the hull on the starboard side as opposed to the port side. After the masts and all the rigging is installed it will be impossible to see this imperfection, but I know it's there...and now you too I suppose.

xfghj.jpgvnbcfg.jpgdfgdf.jpg

The last four cannon rigged up. You can see in the last picture a subtle difference in spacing between the second and third cannon on the starboard side compared with the port side. This is evidence of imperfect bulkhead fairing and imperfect planking. There is a very slight curve to the hull on the starboard side as opposed to the port side. After the masts and all the rigging is installed it will be impossible to see this imperfection, but I know it's there...and now you too I suppose.

View attachment 151773View attachment 151774View attachment 151775
I don't think anybody besides you will ever notice the difference in gun port position, as you show, only visible when looking straight down, and most models are not viewed from that angle.

I don't think anybody besides you will ever notice the difference in gun port position, as you show, only visible when looking straight down, and most models are not viewed from that angle.

Thanks Kkornrath. I probably won't mess with it. Probably....

I'm going to fab the bowsprit before I close up the forecastle with planking....was what I was going to say. Now I'm back to it. Bowsprit and jib fabricated and painted. I still have to add the open heart rigging for the forestay and some blocks on the end of the jib and several closed hearts for further bowsprit rigging then I can mount the whole thing, tomorrow.

The main problem is it's really tough to slide the bowsprit assembly through the hole in the bow and into the slot for the bowsprit without being able to see the slot and glop on some resin to hold the thing. So once I get it actually mounted then I can close up the focsle' and install the deck planking. This open deck up forward has been bugging me so I went ahead and got the bowsprit and jib done.

Fairlead under the bowsprit and saddle for the spiritsail yard not called for on the plans. But I added them anyway. Gawd, I can't believe how bad these plans and practicum are.

adfgdfg.jpgdfgdfg.jpgasdgdf.jpgdsfgdafg.jpgadfgdfgz.jpgghzgasd.jpg

Bowsprit and jib rigged up with the mainstay open heart, and bowsprit stay closed hearts, and bobstay open heart. I also pre-installed several eyebolts for use in later rigging. Simulated sheaves also for the aft and fore end of the jib. I mounted the whole assembly, now I can close up forecastle. But first I'm going to tackle the head timbers as I've been putting this off, it's time to her 'er done.

sgadgdfhh.jpgadfgfgXZf.jpg

Got the quarter badges done as well. I was looking at the ship and thought that something was missing. Of course! I never installed the quarter badges. Had to scratch up the panes as the kit supplied white metal badges have just an empty square. I painted it the same yellow ocher with gilt accents.

adfhgasdfg.jpgdgfadfg.jpg

I started by completing the cheeks. I've seen blogs that have both cheek rails under the hawser holes and I've seen blogs, and these plans, that have the cheek rails on either side of the hawser holes. I went with the latter. The bottom rail is just straight with some extra stock glued to the end and a decorative thingy on the very end, lots of sanding of course. The upper rail I soaked in water then edge bent appropriately.

1.jpg2.jpg

Two full days working on the head rails. I used as a keystone for the whole apparatus the top rail. All rails are made from square stock but the top rail is slightly larger. Also, the connecting timbers between the top rail and middle rail ended up more rectangular on purpose as it just looked better.

I soaked the top rail stock in water then wrapped extra long pieces around a spray paint can. When dry I cut out identical sections and then further sanded down the end where it connects up to the upper cheek.

The middle rail is straight as well as all the connecting timbers. Not perfect but all in all I like the finished product. This is by far the most difficult part of the build so far.

I also started work on the platform that will support the seats of ease.

3.jpg3.5.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

Back