RCMP St. Roch, Billings Boats

This is my first boat project. I found parts of it quite challenging, mainly because I'm a novice and I found the instructions are lacking. It was a struggle to identify parts and where they belonged. But thanks to other SOS members, who had great advice as well as a lot of photos, I managed to reach the finish line.

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, very well done - and very lifelike too. I can add this one to the Showcase gallery as well.
Thank you for sharing. You say this is your first boat project - I would never guess that.

Wow, very well done - and very lifelike too. I can add this one to the Showcase gallery as well.
Thank you for sharing. You say this is your first boat project - I would never guess that.
Hi Donnie. Thanks for your positive comments. Yes, it my first boat project but I have built a few locomotive and tram kits from Occre, as well as the 1848 Stagecoach from Artesania Latina, so I'm not that much of a total green thumb. Yet, the project was challenging and there were a few grit-your-teeth and swear under my breath as I worked through some of the planking and especially doing the knots and rigging. I have a slight tremor in my hands which affects working in places where I can't brace my hand against something. But it was all worth it, and very satisfying! Thanks again.

This is my first boat project. I found parts of it quite challenging, mainly because I'm a novice and I found the instructions are lacking. It was a struggle to identify parts and where they belonged. But thanks to other SOS members, who had great advice as well as a lot of photos, I managed to reach the finish line.

View attachment 272313

View attachment 272315

View attachment 272316

View attachment 272317

View attachment 272318

View attachment 272319

View attachment 272320
You have created a beautiful and very impressive model for the first project. I wish you to continue to create more beautiful and diverse models and enjoy the process.
well done :cool:Thumbsup

You have created a beautiful and very impressive model for the first project. I wish you to continue to create more beautiful and diverse models and enjoy the process.
Many thanks, shota70.

Hi Carleroo
You have made the journey of
St Roch from the Atlantic to the Pacific, with a good crossing.
A beautiful model to display with pride.
It is not as easy a model as it seems, I attest
I think if you put the probe station on the starboard side, it would be perfect.

Cheers

Last edited:
Many thanks for your kind comments. Thanks for the reminder about the probe station. I had forgotten all about it!!

I am impressed by how fast you built your St. Roch and you have set a very high mark for me to aim for! I will be examining your pictures closely to make sure I don't miss anything and to get ideas.

I am impressed by how fast you built your St. Roch and you have set a very high mark for me to aim for! I will be examining your pictures closely to make sure I don't miss anything and to get ideas.
Hi Brucelves. I am now retired so I had a lot of time to work on this project. Thanks for your kind comments. I also learned from others, so if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Haha. I am “retired” too but spend a lot of time with the grandchildren!!

I do have a question regarding how you threaded the microscopic blocks for the rigging. I can see how you thread through the hole for one side but how did you attach the other side that has to loop around the block in the tiny groove and then provide a loop to attach to? I should add that there is no hurry for the answer since I will not get to that stage for a while!!

Haha. I am “retired” too but spend a lot of time with the grandchildren!!

I do have a question regarding how you threaded the microscopic blocks for the rigging. I can see how you thread through the hole for one side but how did you attach the other side that has to loop around the block in the tiny groove and then provide a loop to attach to? I should add that there is no hurry for the answer since I will not get to that stage for a while!!
I used a threader to pull the thread through. I have made a diagram showing what I did to make the blocks and tackle. Have a look and ask me again, if you have a question (since I'm not sure that I have answered your question).IMG_3568.jpgIMG_3569.jpgIMG_3569.jpg

View attachment 272313

View attachment 272315

View attachment 272316

View attachment 272317

View attachment 272318

View attachment 272319

View attachment 272320

Hi - First I am very impressed with the pictures of your first build! Wow!

View attachment 272313

View attachment 272315

View attachment 272316

View attachment 272317

View attachment 272318

View attachment 272319

View attachment 272320

Hi - I am very impressed with the pictures of the St. Roch as your first build. I just got the St Roch from Billing Boats and found the instructions lacking and frustrating. For example, they do not tell you when to put the two halves together - this is probably obvious when you get to that stage. I am used to Artesania Latina instructions which have way more detail. I was hoping that doing this boat in two halves would help my issues with planking. I am never happy with the way my planking turns out. I have watched numerous Youtube videos, read every book I can get my hands on and tried different methods but nothing produces a nice smooth finish overall, and my worst problem, having the ends of the planks join smoothly to the keel or to the other side of the boat. My father was a wood model ship builder but passed away in 2021 so I have lost my advisor and the person I went to for help. Can anyone please offer suggestions, books, youtube videos or anything else you have found helpful in achieving a beautiful finished planking job. Also, are there other women who enjoy this hobby? Thanks everyone!

i

also found theHi - I am very impressed with the pictures of the St. Roch as your first build. I just got the St Roch from Billing Boats and found the instructions lacking and frustrating. For example, they do not tell you when to put the two halves together - this is probably obvious when you get to that stage. I am used to Artesania Latina instructions which have way more detail. I was hoping that doing this boat in two halves would help my issues with planking. I am never happy with the way my planking turns out. I have watched numerous Youtube videos, read every book I can get my hands on and tried different methods but nothing produces a nice smooth finish overall, and my worst problem, having the ends of the planks join smoothly to the keel or to the other side of the boat. My father was a wood model ship builder but passed away in 2021 so I have lost my advisor and the person I went to for help. Can anyone please offer suggestions, books, youtube videos or anything else you have found helpful in achieving a beautiful finished planking job. Also, are there other women who enjoy this hobby? Thanks everyone!

i
Hi Mary,
Many thanks for your kind comments. I was constantly frustrated by the inadequate instructions. I asked a number of people about building the 2 halves of the hull in separate pieces, and the advice I received was to not do that, since it can affect the alignment of the boat. So, I built it as one complete unit, the way most people have done it. Still, I had to do a lot of shaping and sanding to try to get things right. I looked up some of the other Billings Boats kits (instructions are available online), and noticed that for most of them the instructions were so much better. I can't understand why this kit got so neglected. I must have emailed them 10 times or more for clarification and questions on parts, etc.. What helped was checking out the build logs of some other SOS members.

I'm sorry I can't help you with specific resources. I ended up watching loads of Youtube videos, but In can't recall which ones!! I'm sure that there are other folks on this site who can offer better advice. Good luck and be patient. The instructions are terrible, but the kit is quite well designed and engineered.

Thanks for your comments. I took your advice and put the two halves together last night, I think this is the correct way to do it although Billing Boats advertise the 600 series (of which the St. Roch is included) as an easier way to learn to plank. That may be true if they had provided a bit more instruction other than put the planks on tapering at the ends! Depending on how this model goes maybe I'll try another 600 series boat and see if the instructions are better. I have a question, did you use the plastic parts included with the boat or did you replace them with wood or brass?

Also, the instructions show the first few planks end!ing at the first frame rather than continuing to the keel. Is this correct? If it is , how do you plank that gap? o_O:confused: So confused!

Back