Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

View attachment 330073
Whilst searching online for something i came across a Portrait of our Illustrious member Heirich,

View attachment 330074
Next was making the rails for the timber heads, I tack glued the upper and lower rails together and after marking
the positions for the timber heads I milled out the slots that they will fit in,

View attachment 330075
one side done, just transferring the marks to the other piece,

View attachment 330076
both pieces done,

View attachment 330077
and the finished timber heads with the rails,

View attachment 330078
I have glued the bottom rail in place and i am just test fitting the timber heads,

View attachment 330079
Before gluing anything I test fitted the top rail slipping it over the timber heads and everything seems to fit OK,
so i will go ahead and glue them up,

best regards john,
Hi John,
Nice progress with the head rails.

Cheers,
Stephen.

763.jpg
Awhile ago after I had attached the the beak head bollards I realised that they were probably too high and decided to wait till I had attached the side bollards before correcting the front ones,

764.jpg
This approximately how much I had to lower them,

765.jpg
Sorry about the fuzzy pic, this shows them attached in a nice curving line,

best regards John,

766.jpg
So after reattaching the bollard timbers i decided to continue and build up the rest of the rails and the round houses, this piece of wood is Australian Myrtle, it has a nice tight grain,

767.jpg
I had previously turned up the round houses, so next was to make up the rails that go around the top of them, I turned the Myrtle down to the outside diameter and then drilled a 10mm hole through so i could bore it out,

768.jpg
Boring out to the inside diameter,

769.jpg
I meant to say that before boring out i had sliced two pieces off of the turning these will make the bottom piece that the rail stanchions will go into, then after boring out I sliced another two rings off that will go on the top of the stanchions, the little stanchions I have had for years,

770.jpg
Then i adapted the jig to hold the top ring and the bottom plate for drilling the holes to fix the stanchions into,

771.jpg
This shows the bottom plate with the half circle of stanchions in glued in place and the top ring ready to be glued on the top, but before I glued it in place I used it as a template for drilling the holes in the other pieces,

772.jpg
and a pic showing where they will sit when i get around to gluing them in place, of course the back of the plates will be cut off before doing this, still lots to do yet,

once again thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

779.jpg
This is where the arch will sit, but it will be behind the railings,

780.jpg
and glued in place, the rail going across the arch has to be cut away,

781.jpg
Just test fitting the focsle beams to make sure they all line up with to the bottom of the arch,

782.jpg

783.jpg
making a template for the ply sub deck,

784.jpg
Just fits nicely, i have approx 3mm I can lower it by if needed,

785.jpg
view from another angle,
786.jpg
Test fitting the cannon, by the looks of it and also where the Cat comes in through by the large Bitt I think that I will have to lower the beams by that 3mm,

787.jpg
These are the extra windows that i bought for replacing some of the transom windows, the top ones are some kind of lasered board they are quite strong and the lower one are injection moulded plastic, not sure yet if I will use them or not, I have to size them against the windows already in place,

788.jpg

789.jpg
I have also got to decide which boats to use, I started making these one a few years ago, this one and the one below is a 32 foot launch,

790.jpg
the launch shown sitting over the mould,

791.jpg
and this one is a pinnace, has to have the transom fitted yet,

792.jpg
and a view of the bottom,

801.jpg
next up was making the half round mouldings that go just beneath the top rail, for these I turned up some wood just like for the arch and then I used one of my Amati moulding plates, the design I used is the one in the top left hand corner, I had previously strengthened the plate with a wooden plate on each side,

800.jpg
then I clamped it in the tool post, the one I'm using is the nearest one, due to the bolt nuts on the plate I had to clamp it in the tool post this way, so to turn the moulding I used the lathe in reverse which is a nice feature on the Sherline,

802.jpg
Just lining up the tool post, these moulding plates are a bit thin so you have to take it slowly,

803.jpg
and cutting the rebate,

804.jpg
The rings after parting off, with hind sight I might have made the rebate a bit wider, I still might do it as I have some English Bow Wood that would be suitable also I would make the rings with a slightly less diametre, will see how things go,

805.jpg
and after cutting down, still have to cut the mitre on each end

806.jpg
I realized that something was wrong with the bulk head, and after doing some researching, I found that there are numerous pics of different contemporary models of the Royal William and they all show different layouts of the bulkhead, some show it as really tall and some shorter so i decided to go with the kit layout, so I had to remove some of the timber plank across the front of the bulkhead, The ruler is not level as I want some round up, after cutting back this side I then cut back the other,

807.jpg
I cut some wood for the straight part of the moulding rail, I was tempted to do it the easy way and just sit the archs on top of the straight rail,

808.jpg
This is how they are supposed to be cut, with miters , I wasn't to sure, so I thought about it while I was measuring the height of the round houses,

809.jpg
I placed the round houses in approx position and sat the rails on top of them, the rails will have to bent up to match the round up,

811.jpg
I decided to go with the mitered joints, will probably need a little bit of filler,

810.jpg
This is how I cut the miters with a nice sharp craft knife,

812.jpg
All finished, just a dab of filler here and there,

813.jpg
another view,

814.jpg
and with the rails just sitting in place, not yet glued,

815.jpg
and one head on view,

thanks for watching and all the comments and likes,

Best regards John,