Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

View attachment 349557
Before I can attach the next deck up I have several things to add to the gun deck, one of them being the Mesenger and the Anchor cables, so i got out my old rope machine, a full size view of the machine, It doesn't make endless rope but the pieces are enough for a 1/48 scale 104 gun ship,

View attachment 349558
the head of the machine showing the four whirls,

View attachment 349559
The top,set up with the threads going over and around the top, I used six threads on each hook for this rope,

View attachment 349560
Showing three ropes made up, the largest I will use for the Anchor cable,

View attachment 349561
and a close up,

thank you for visiting,

best regards john.
Nice progress John,

Lovely rope.
What material did you use?

Cheers,
Stephen.

847.jpg
Messenger installed, up along the port side,

846.jpg
around the capstan,

848.jpg
and down the starboard side,

849.jpg
The anchor cable in place, it wasn't till this stage that i realised I had made a Boo Boo with the anchor cable, it was way to small, it only measured out at approx 6 inch dia scale size, so i made another couple of cables that were approx 9inch dia at scale size,

850.jpg
showing the difference between the two,

851.jpg
and another comparison,

852.jpg
i made the thicker ones with this thread,

853.jpg
The newer cables in place,

I also added some figures to the lower deck,

854.jpg

best regards john,

Last edited:
857.jpg
View of the Port side and lower hull,

858.jpg
one last section of the deck to go in place,

859.jpg
and a couple of pics through the transom ports, i must get that top rope down on top of the others on the capstan,

860.jpg
and another view,

861.jpg
The next lot of carriages ready for final clean up,

862.jpg
These are the cannon for the next deck,

863.jpg
and these are for the two decks after this one,

864.jpg
al carriages and cannon for the next deck have been trimmed to match each other in height, may need some small adjustments when being fitted in place,

once again thanks for looking in,
best regards john,

865.jpg
For attaching the cannon to the carriages I drilled a hole right through the barrel and a corresponding hole through the carriage, I made a small block on which I sat the cannon,

866.jpg
and drilled the holes with my Proxxon Mill Drill,

867.jpg
Pic with the holes drilled,

868.jpg
Then I glued the barrel to the carriage with a 2.5mm dowell,

869.jpg
this ia all the cannon attached to the next deck up on the starboard side,

870.jpg
and port side fore,

871.jpg
and port side aft,

872.jpg
and a general overall pic of where i am at the moment,

best regards john,

Last edited:
View attachment 351206
For attaching the cannon to the carriages I drilled a hole right through the barrel and a corresponding hole through the carriage, I made a small block on which I sat the cannon,

View attachment 351207
and drilled the holes with my Proxxon Mill Drill,

View attachment 351208
Pic with the holes drilled,

View attachment 351209
Then I glued the barrel to the carriage with a 2.5mm dowell,

View attachment 351210
this ia all the cannon attached to the next deck up on the starboard side,

View attachment 351211
and port side fore,

View attachment 351212
and port side aft,

View attachment 351214
and a general overall pic of where i am at the moment,

best regards john,
Wonderful progress John, your work is very impressive and the results are beautiful Thumbsup:)

Good work with the additional detail with the messenger cable
We can not see both sides of the messenger - and I also do not know, what is at the end realy visible, when your model is finished
Therefore only the question: Did you also connect the nachor cable with the messenger cable with the so called nippers?
wqw.JPG

Maybe you dafis plastic Victory
victory-messenger_0153.jpg

also very interesting

d4802.jpg

Good work with the additional detail with the messenger cable
We can not see both sides of the messenger - and I also do not know, what is at the end realy visible, when your model is finished
Therefore only the question: Did you also connect the nachor cable with the messenger cable with the so called nippers?
View attachment 351751

Maybe you dafis plastic Victory
View attachment 351750

also very interesting

View attachment 351752

G'day Uwe, thanks for the question, no I will not have the anchor cable attached to the messenger as i will have the anchor cables set up ready for dropping, i believe they were only attached to the messenger when they were being hoisted aboard, I know that on some smaller ships they used to flake out the anchor cable on the deck before they dropped the anchor but i think the size of these cables prohibited that and they just ran out of the anchor tier, sorry for my late reply,

best regards John,

873.jpg
There will be only the cannon on this deck because you will not be able to see anything else, so the next job was to cut the beams for the next deck up, after cutting them i centralized them and marke a line down the middle of them,

874.jpg
when i was happy with the camber I then numbered them,

875.jpg.jpg
The deck beams installed,

best regards john,

Last edited:
876.jpg
I've cut the planking for the next deck but before installing i decided to make and fit the gratings on the centre of the deck, to make the gratings I glued a strip of wood the width of the saw blade onto the sled making sure that it was the width of the blade away from the saw blade itself,

877.jpg
close up view,

878.jpg
I then glued with CA super glue twelve strip of pear wood to each other at the end for approx 10mm, trimmed them so they were square then I butted them up against the strip of wood and ran the sled over the saw, I then put the resulting groove over the strip of wood and repeated the process along the strips of wood, pic shows the first cut,

879.jpg
The resulting strips after grooving, and above them the battens that were cut to go in the grooves,

880.jpg
six sets of gratings waiting to be trimmed to size, the one at the bottom right is sitting in the jig i made to hold everything while they were constructed, the jig was made the way the grooves were cut,

thank you for looking in, any questions just ask,

best regards john,

View attachment 353366
I've cut the planking for the next deck but before installing i decided to make and fit the gratings on the centre of the deck, to make the gratings I glued a strip of wood the width of the saw blade onto the sled making sure that it was the width of the blade away from the saw blade itself,

View attachment 353367
close up view,

View attachment 353373
I then glued with CA super glue twelve strip of pear wood to each other at the end for approx 10mm, trimmed them so they were square then I butted them up against the strip of wood and ran the sled over the saw, I then put the resulting groove over the strip of wood and repeated the process along the strips of wood, pic shows the first cut,

View attachment 353370
The resulting strips after grooving, and above them the battens that were cut to go in the grooves,

View attachment 353371
six sets of gratings waiting to be trimmed to size, the one at the bottom right is sitting in the jig i made to hold everything while they were constructed, the jig was made the way the grooves were cut,

thank you for looking in, any questions just ask,

best regards john,
Hi John,
Great work as normal.
Where did you get the Pear wood?

Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi John,
Great work as normal.
Where did you get the Pear wood?

Cheers,
Stephen.
G'day Steve, I bought the Pear Wood from ZHL model's, a couple of years ago, I bought several lots of different sizes, nice and consistent colour, no blemishes, hope this helps, I also went up in the Adelaide Hills to one of the Orchards and the owner gave me several logs of Pear, this was nice wood as well but was more of a fawnie colour and of course I had to dry it for a couple of years before use,
Best regards John,

G'day Steve, I bought the Pear Wood from ZHL model's, a couple of years ago, I bought several lots of different sizes, nice and consistent colour, no blemishes, hope this helps, I also went up in the Adelaide Hills to one of the Orchards and the owner gave me several logs of Pear, this was nice wood as well but was more of a fawnie colour and of course I had to dry it for a couple of years before use,
Best regards John,
Thanks John,
ZHL makes sense and great idea to find an Orchid and get some logs.

Cheers,
Stephen.

881.jpg
Thats all the gratings made for the upper decks, I just have to trim them and add the coamings around them, on the model in the Maritime Museum it shows the gratings all in one length like the after two sets of gratings, but I'm going to do them in sections like the ones on the mid section show,

882.jpg
close up of the mid section gratings,

thanks for all the likes and comments,

best regards John,

883.jpg
The main gratings after assembly,

884.jpg
and where they will sit on the model,

885.jpg
after adding the section for the main mast, i found some ebony amongst my wood collection and decided to add some around where the mast goes, i will also use it for the gallows and the bitts,

886.jpg
how it will sit on the model,

887.jpg
and a close up,

888.jpg
I will probably make another capstan for the main deck,

889.jpg
the ebony I used i bought it on ebay for $15 AUD post paid,

890.jpg
and a couple of close ups after cutting,

891.jpg

best regards John,