Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

892.jpg
That's the main gratings glued and clamped in place,

893.jpg
Though you will not be able to see much inside the Entrance way i decided to just plank it anyway,

894.jpg
looking from the outside,

895.jpg
I then built two enclosures one for each side,

896.jpg
These i glued over the planking,

897.jpg
and a view again from the outside, once I have the side steps and railings built on I will add a figure in the doorway on each side,

898.jpg
First plank in place, i decided to install full length planks and will mark the individual planks after with a Fine pen marker,

899.jpg
and this is where I am at the moment,

900.jpg
and a close up view,

best regards John,

903.jpg
I decided to make the stair case next, I had already bought some pre cut ladder kits so it was just a case of gluing two pieces of wood to the board to make a jig to hold the ladder pieces while I assembled them,

904.jpg
First section being assembled, just a touch of white glue on each rung is enough,

905.jpg
I wanted a double width stair case so I just added another section to the first,

906.jpg
Just need a bit of a sanding, i cannot do much more on this till I receive the columns, so i will start assembling the Stove next,

907.jpg
I bought this photo etched stove a couple of years ago, it comes as one sheet of brass,

908.jpg
and a nice exploded diagram of how the parts go together,

909.jpg
some of the parts are quite small as you can see,

910.jpg
the main body assembled and attaching the Spit Wrack,

911.jpg
The parts folded easy but if you take them to far and have to re straighten them they tend to snap on the joint lines, so i cut some small pieces of timber to reinforce the joints, I also cut a piece of timber to help surport the chimney piece,

912.jpg
and glued in position,

925.jpg
So that's all the forecastle beams in place, however the beam marked X I had to move towards the bow by the thickness of the beam otherwise the gun would not fit at the port,

926.jpg
making the templates, this is before i moved the beam, you can see how tight the space is,

927.jpg
and the carcasses of the cabins, I think the two side cabins were for junior officers and the middle could have been a pantry as it had the stove sitting just behind it,

928.jpg
I had to make some sort of moldings for the cabins, i didn't want to get too complicated so I used a double flute molding from one of ZHL's plates, these are nice and small moldings and they come with two reinforcing boards and four small bolts to secure them, also you get two of the same plate in the package,this is of course the plates,

929.jpg
and the reinforcing boards ,

930.jpg
these are the moldings I made,

931.jpg
attaching the moldings, I used CA Super glue, the board looks out of square but it is just the camera angle,

932.jpg
To cut the miters i just lay them over each other and cut them with a sharp craft knife,

933.jpg
and use some temporary spacers for positioning,

934.jpg
these are the windows that I will use,

937.jpg
Untidy work bench,

938.jpg
and showing how they will look, the window frames are not glued on yet, and at the sides you can see a bit of light these areas will be cut to allow sides to slip on the beam ledges,

939.jpg
a view of where they will sit,

940.jpg
and another view from deck level,

once again thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

941.jpg
Now its onto the after cabin bulkheads, I'm trying to keep it simplistic but nice, with these cabins you are not going to see much of them because of the overhanging deck above, I am just roughing out carcass of the side ones, these will join other ones as they make a staggered line across the deck,

942.jpg
For some reason they used square windows on the fore castle cabins and arched ones on the after cabins,

943.jpg
just showing what they will look like, I've got to decide whether to paint them or varnish them, I'm thinking since I have painted the bulwarks I will paint them red with gilded trim,

best regards John,

944.jpg
These cabin fronts were staggered across the width of the ship, this is the centre part with the two wings each side that will angle forward a little bit,

945.jpg
view from the front,

946.jpg
and from above,

947.jpg
the next part is a double door way, although I'm not too happy with how it looks, i may take away the molding at the bottom,

948.jpg
I will modify the door window frames with part of the round window and part of the square window,

best regards john,

949.jpg
The finished bulkhead, still has to be painted and have the window frames attached,

950.jpg
after painting,

951.jpg
and where it will sit on the model,

952.jpg
the partitions for under the Forecastle,

953.jpg
and sitting in place,
thank you for all the likes,
best regards John.

Last edited:
954.jpg
I painted the area's behind where the windows will go with black,

957.jpg
and attached the windows and door knobs with CA super glue,

955.jpg
and did the same with the square windows,

956.jpg
ready for attaching to the deck,

958.jpg
the front ones glued in place,

959.jpg
and also the curved ones,

best regards john.

746.jpg
Before I could do anything else I had to turn my attention to the Poop deck, it seems that I had made a Poop of it, I had the deck to high, so I had to cut it off and I will also have to readjust the cabin sides above it,

960.jpg
a view after removing the deck and beams,

961.jpg
and after installing the new beams, i will post a pic tomorrow of how it looks on the original model,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john.

961.jpg
after installing the new beams it still didn't look right, the beams now looked too low,

962.jpg
and sure enough in my haste I had installed them too low,

963.jpg
so I added some cross timbers on top of the beams and sanded and adjusted them and the result is the planking is just coming in under the cabin sides,

964.jpg
and on the original model, or should I say one of the original models,

965.jpg
this shows it more clearly, there are approx five of these models and all differ in some way to each other, for instance note the shape of the cabin roof on this varnished model, it has a slight dip from the last window to the side rail, now look at the pic below of the painted model,

966.jpg
The dip is more pronounced on this model,

best regards John,

Last edited:
Back