Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

Ahoy John,
Using the dowels is an extremely clever idea. If I were a writer I could write a book on all the brilliant solutions our ship mates use to solve modeling problems. My hats off to you sir beautiful ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day John

I've been away for about 5 or 6 weeks. Been very busy because we have moved to a new home after almost 32 years at our old address. It was, and partly still is, a nightmare.

Back to brighter sides, your RW is coming on great. Don't mind the black around the gun ports. Its a touch of your own uniqueness to this model. Havta agree with everyone else about the dowel location method. Just brilliant.
Hope to pop in again soon.
Havagooday mate
Greg

G'day Greg, thought things had been a bit quite around here for awhile, all joking aside I hope you will settle into your new place fairly quickly, and thank you for dropping in on an old mate to see how I'm going, take care,

best regards John.

Last edited by a moderator:
131.jpg
The first beam dowelled and glued in place

132.jpg
Another view, I started in the midships because I have to add the chain pumps and some other hatches and it should be a bit easier this way.

133.jpg
The chain pumps are pretty basic, just being made out of blocks of wood, dowell and brass wire for
the pump handles.

134.jpg
Drilled through for the handles.

135.jpg
with supporting stanchions attached.

136.jpg
Where the pumps will be sitting either side of the main mast, only the first beam is glued at the moment.

137.jpg
view aft along the deck.

Last edited:
141.jpg
I bought some capstans to go on the RW, they are beautifully made, out of Beech wood I believe.

140.jpg
However when placing them on the gun deck they looked a little bit on the small side.

139.jpg
So I decided to make some, I cut a piece of Huon PIne to size and then turned it down in the
lathe to the diameter I wanted,

142.jpg

144.jpg
I parted off enough tops and bottoms for four capstans

All the capstan tops and bottoms

143.jpg
and showing what it will look like against the bought ones, it is not glued yet.

Last edited:
146.jpg
just to show things don't always go as planned, and why it is best to make a few extra's

147.jpg
the rings for the top and bottom of one capstan

148.jpg
the two top parts glued up

149.jpg
using the lathe to ensure the parts are square, and a small spacer from some scrap wood to ensure even spacing.

150.jpg
the four capstans glued on the dowell, I will cut them off after truing them up on the lathe

151.jpg
mines just a little bit more chunky

Last edited:
Ahoy John,
I really like your log of the capstans you built Very informative. You've shone the tops and bottoms did you allso make middles as well? Really nice work Bravo.

Sgtmik post said:
Ahoy John,
I really like your log of the capstans you built Very informative. You've shone the tops and bottoms did you allso make middles as well? Really nice work Bravo.

G'day Mike the middle trunk is a piece of 10mm wood dowell, I have to make the whelps and
attach them next, I glued both capstans on the dowell so as to act as the centre support and also
I can chuck them in the lathe to clean them up a bit, and then I will cut each one off and fix in
place on the ship, I will attach some pics of another capstan I made for The Investigator.

These three pics are of the capstan on my Investigator, these were turned out of Australian
Pear Wood and were turned with the capstan trunk attached

048.jpg
The upper and lower assemblies

047.jpg
How they sit together

050.jpg
and the nearly finished capstan

Last edited:
I agree with Mike John.

One thing I like and I know, I have said it before and will continue to say it in the future. You posts are educational to the new members and also the members that have built for many years

A forum like SOS and members like you, we all learn.

Cheers
Geoff

152.jpg
First time using my new milling machine, the wood was a little fuzzy but cleaned up OK, I just
clamped four strips of wood cut too the right size in the vise, with just enough wood clear of
the vise to machine, after milling the first two sets of whelps I then move enough wood again
to mill another two sets, altogether I milled seven sets, which gave me 28 whelps.

153.jpg
The milling machine

154.jpg
The milled strips

155.jpg
Then I set up my Proxxon saw with a fine blade in it.

156.jpg
making sure the strips were all square to each other I cut off the top waste wood.

158.jpg
I then measured the length that I needed the whelps to be and sliced four off, I used one of the
four as a gauge for slicing the others off.

159.jpg
Shows the capstan on the left with the whelps added

160.jpg
Both sets finished just have to add the chocks and with the bought one for comparison, the bought ones are great capstans but I wanted something a bit more on the chunky side.

Last edited:
Ahoy Mate,
I like your mill, and the way you cut your whelps. I always wondered what they were called. Your log is very informative and instructional. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Mike, Bill and Gary, for your comments, just a quick update as I haven't done much this week,
just started attaching the breeching ropes, I will not be adding the tackle, only the breeching ropes which I will take through an eye bolt on the side of the carriage, see pics,
161.jpg

162.jpg
thanks for looking,

best regards John.

Last edited:
Back