Rope size to scale

I read on the site some time ago that someone was having trouble with scale rope size. I am posting a table for model makers to use for converting rope size. It is ideal to have a miniature ropewalk to be precise. I have built my own ropewalk and it works quite well.
scale of rope size.jpg

I read on the site some time ago that someone was having trouble with scale rope size. I am posting a table for model makers to use for converting rope size. It is ideal to have a miniature ropewalk to be precise. I have built my own ropewalk and it works quite well.
View attachment 127758
I spent ages with a calculator and a list of scantlings yesterday doing this!!!!

I am doing a Biilings Cutty Sark. My research yielded that the sizes on the rigging plan from the Museum are in Circumference, as opposed to Diameter. Almost fell into that trap.

Jim Regan

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Circumference, as opposed to Diameter.
It seems that I read this before as well. That the shipbuilders went by the circumference - but do not take my word on this - and I can not remember where I read this. It might have been in the Wofran zu Mandel book.

According to "The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship"
The ropes for the several parts of rigging are, in circumference and in length, according to the Table of Dimensions, for ships of each rate, given in this work