Rope size to scale

I read on the site some time ago that someone was having trouble with scale rope size. I am posting a table for model makers to use for converting rope size. It is ideal to have a miniature ropewalk to be precise. I have built my own ropewalk and it works quite well.
View attachment 127758
I spent ages with a calculator and a list of scantlings yesterday doing this!!!!

I am doing a Biilings Cutty Sark. My research yielded that the sizes on the rigging plan from the Museum are in Circumference, as opposed to Diameter. Almost fell into that trap.

Jim Regan

Circumference, as opposed to Diameter.
It seems that I read this before as well. That the shipbuilders went by the circumference - but do not take my word on this - and I can not remember where I read this. It might have been in the Wofran zu Mandel book.

According to "The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship"
The ropes for the several parts of rigging are, in circumference and in length, according to the Table of Dimensions, for ships of each rate, given in this work

I read on the site some time ago that someone was having trouble with scale rope size. I am posting a table for model makers to use for converting rope size. It is ideal to have a miniature ropewalk to be precise. I have built my own ropewalk and it works quite well.
View attachment 127758
That is a great reference table/matrix that you have shared. I'll make a copy for my own use. . . OK? PT-2

Robert,
would you be willing to show us your ropewalk. I have yet to build one that works well.

Thanks for putting this together Robert ! If it is permitted, in this case, I would love to make a hard copy of this table for my workbench. I didn't think there was even a way to do that.

And I absolutely agree with Donnie about wanting to know more about a basic ropewalk that works well. Did you source it from a set of plans that one might find in the market, or did you invent your own?

Thanks for putting this together Robert ! If it is permitted, in this case, I would love to make a hard copy of this table for my workbench. I didn't think there was even a way to do that.

And I absolutely agree with Donnie about wanting to know more about a basic ropewalk that works well. Did you source it from a set of plans that one might find in the market, or did you invent your own?
I have things drying where I set up my walk. I showed it several months ago following a YouTube rope walk made with coat hangers and spare wood. It works farily well but I have to go back every time to remember which direction to twist for hawser RH or cable LH on each end following the works of Jean Bouriot Chapt XIV Rigging p 100 diagram from threads to small strands twisted into hawser rope and those into cable. If I find the video I'll post that. PT-2

Robert,
would you be willing to show us your ropewalk. I have yet to build one that works well.
Here is a video on how to make a simple walk that I used to make mine to be used on my desk top for lines up to 48 inches long, not his full sized garage type but similar.

Robert,
This is not my own garage size walk but the assembly of the twisting parts is what I followed for my 48-inch desk front one with a wood topper and not the wire one shown.

This is not my own garage size walk but the assembly of the twisting parts is what I followed for my 48-inch desk front one with a wood topper and not the wire one shown.
Here is another video that presents more of the details in twisting to look for in laying lines. Note the 45-degree twist which you want to attain both in twisting the initial three strands and in the next step to hawser line.

Back