Royal George 1714 1:48

Excellent choice of subject Stefan and a very well thought out way to get your framing profiles.

I look forward to following the journey

Kind Regards

Nigel

I like your idea of a rabbit carving tool, I may try to make one for the builds I am working on to ease the task, I have feared having to carve a v notch with Exacto blade.

I like your idea of a rabbit carving tool, I may try to make one for the builds I am working on to ease the task, I have feared having to carve a v notch with Exacto blade.
I think, that this way used by Stefan is very good when the wood is hard enough like boxwood - with relatively soft woods the result is maybe not so exact and a mill will produce a more accurate result.
I am pretty sure, that Stefan had to pass more than 3 times over the keel to get the rabbit like this.

In the evening I will meet Stefan on our monthly "Vienna come together meeting", so I will ask him, if he got some sore muscles ;)

Really nice start, but the joints of the keel are wrong for an English Man of War. Have a look in Goodwin "The Construction and Fitting ..." page 6. They have to be vertical.

Hi Kurt, with a so-called "scraper" it is very easy to make such grooves. You file the shape into a sheet of metal (old saw blade or knife blade) and draw it over the wood. Of course you have to drive over it very often to get a good result. In between, it is advisable to regrind the piece of metal (negative) so that the edge remains sharp. The harder the wood, the finer and better the result

Very nice start Stefan.I have worked with English boxwood, in fact the upper planking of my Sots is modelled in this.I remember one new no.26 blade per 2 gunports because the timber is so hard.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Very nice start Stefan.I have worked with English boxwood, in fact the upper planking of my Sots is modelled in this.I remember one new no.26 blade per 2 gunports because the timber is so hard.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Oh, yes it is very hard, übt the result is beautiful

Back