Royal George 1714 1:48

Hi Stefan,

What was your drying proces for the boxwood? Did you seal the ends with parafin for the drying proces or did you cut the logs in half.
I jave cut some 60 kg of box wood last week which I will store for the coming years.
Hi Maarten,
you have to be careful when drying boxwood. Cracks can appear in the wood very quickly due to the drying process, making the wood unusable. it is important if you have the possibility to cut the wood in winter. This is the time when the least water is stored in the wood. I myself do not use wax to seal the ends. Rather, I divide the pieces of wood lengthwise down the middle to take the tension out of the wood. The drying process should be slow at first. Drying too quickly creates tension and cracks in the wood. After a year of slow drying, the wood can also be stored in a dry and warm place. I store my wood under a roof outside for the first year. This is where it loses most of its moisture. Then I put it in the attic for further drying. I hope I have been of some help to you and wish you a lot of fun with your blade
Stefan7B0ABD6D-EF23-45C4-A1BD-0E82438D50DF.jpeg

Thx stefan,

Thats what I did with me pear, quarterly saw it.
I will half the larger boxwood pieces and store them in my garage like I did with my pear.

Many thx.

Hi Maarten,
you have to be careful when drying boxwood. Cracks can appear in the wood very quickly due to the drying process, making the wood unusable. it is important if you have the possibility to cut the wood in winter. This is the time when the least water is stored in the wood. I myself do not use wax to seal the ends. Rather, I divide the pieces of wood lengthwise down the middle to take the tension out of the wood. The drying process should be slow at first. Drying too quickly creates tension and cracks in the wood. After a year of slow drying, the wood can also be stored in a dry and warm place. I store my wood under a roof outside for the first year. This is where it loses most of its moisture. Then I put it in the attic for further drying. I hope I have been of some help to you and wish you a lot of fun with your blade
StefanView attachment 298507
Usefull information, thanks

It's been a while, but I haven't made much progress. But here are some pictures of the construction of the dead wood on the bow. Progress is slow, but you can already see the dimensions. have fun with the pictures.11E86C3B-726C-432D-8115-34357FE93615.jpeg

DFD4C994-DA5F-4927-B565-C3CEE3D896EE.jpeg

DDDE5CE1-09E6-4972-8F40-A3F6D32582ED.jpeg

0E5C3C5F-C0BC-4641-A7BE-78F8A68F5930.jpeg

67E88E55-D188-42AB-946C-6D99E79F8A20.jpeg

645752DF-0FD7-4386-9456-BEBCD5C34534.jpeg

C492E2B4-2B18-4CCE-97D6-F7F983C99346.jpeg

68BD70E4-2778-419E-847A-DF2CA53FF467.jpeg

AAB96C11-18EC-4A60-8B02-7C3B168B7802.jpeg

Hi George

I´m thinking there are lot of work until you get the deadwood of the bow in the shape to the frames, and the gaps between
deadwood and frames in the right distance. We see us in our next meeting and can talk about it.

Cheers
Willi (schifferlbauer)

She is very Impressive !!!
Great work, George!
Just a question, where did you find a large and suitable amount of boxwood, did you need some Trees :D

She is very Impressive !!!
Great work, George!
Just a question, where did you find a large and suitable amount of boxwood, did you need some Trees :D
Hello, I have been collecting boxwood for this model for 25 years. Don't underestimate the amount that is needed. You need a lot of wood for it. When cutting the boxwood trunks into boards, up to 50% is lost. approaching such a project, it is essential to clarify in advance whether there is enough wood in the warehouse. Otherwise there will quickly be an unwanted halt to construction, which may be associated with high costs due to the purchase of additional wood.

E1CC768B-77DB-467D-BD18-2A6182E07F7C.jpeg

5585FD73-6655-479F-89D6-28C6C67F9E7D.jpeg

654852EC-25F3-4E9C-B0DB-245D1A6B3D9A.jpeg

Hello, I have been collecting boxwood for this model for 25 years. Don't underestimate the amount that is needed. You need a lot of wood for it. When cutting the boxwood trunks into boards, up to 50% is lost. approaching such a project, it is essential to clarify in advance whether there is enough wood in the warehouse. Otherwise there will quickly be an unwanted halt to construction, which may be associated with high costs due to the purchase of additional wood.

View attachment 315441

View attachment 315442

View attachment 315443
Wow, Congratulations to you for persevering in collecting the trees for the model, Let's make an agreement that if you have any leftover boxwood raw material, I'll be first in line to get the leftovers. :D :cool:
In any case, a lot of success in the creation process promises to follow with great curiosity Thumbsup:)

Wow, Congratulations to you for persevering in collecting the trees for the model, Let's make an agreement that if you have any leftover boxwood raw material, I'll be first in line to get the leftovers. :D :cool:
In any case, a lot of success in the creation process promises to follow with great curiosity Thumbsup:)
thank you, It will be a very interesting and challenging work

Back