Saint Albans 1687 in Navy Board Style - 1 : 48 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

It took long time to decide which project I should undertake next.

Inspired by plans, drawn by Herbert Read in 1926, I began modelling the St Albans of 1687. This was a 50-gun ship. Robert Spence was the owner of the original model and he built a copy of the model in the 1940s. I wanted to do the same, too. A model after the original model.

Spence presented the original model to the Trinity House and sold the copy of the model to the NMM in 1944. The copy carries the NMM-Number SLR0376
The Trinitiy House kindly gave me permission to visit and photograph the original model of the Saint Albans. This was very valuable as Herbert Read's plans leave some questions unanswered.

A copy shop printed the plans onto transparent plastic film at the scale of 1:48. This is the best way to bring together the different plan views.

View attachment 107684

I designed the frames on transparent drawing paper. The position of the wales, clamps and stringers I drew in different colours - they have to be one hundred percent correct.

View attachment 107685

For these drawings a light table was very helpful, which I actually bought to sort slides.

View attachment 107686

A jig was built from a multiplex plate and from poplar plywood.

View attachment 107687

The wood for the frames should be pear.

The planking itself should then be built from boxwood in the typical yellowish hue.

View attachment 107688

In the meantime I started to make the keel and the deadwoods. I have built these components in two halves, which makes sawing and grinding pretty easy. I suspect that this method was used for the original model.

View attachment 107689

View attachment 107690

View attachment 107691

Cheers, Alexander
Hallo Alexander alias @Foxtrott
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake
BTW: Du bist in guter Gesellschaft, da heute auch Bonden und Johann archjofo Geburtstag feiern

In the meantime I have continued to work on the Forcastle. The betings on the foremast are more delicate than those on the mainmast. The mizzen gets no kevel-head.

Also interesting: The curvature of the deck beams is more pronounced on the forecastle than on the upper gundeck. However, the deck beams of the quarter deck are even more curved.

The doors are attached very filigree. Keep coming off. The Bulkhead of the waist and the forecastle will get a lot of carvings as parts of the railing and a belfry.

I first made the small grating as a perforated variant, but then I rebuilt it anyway. As a result, it's now slightly raised above the deck. On the original model it is flush with the deck.

That's it for now

Regards Alexander

20220502_122815.jpg

20220502_123005.jpg

20220502_123130.jpg

20220502_123244.jpg

Hallo Alexander
I like it very much - very accurate and clean work
the first photo show the amazing bow very good - Thumbsup

Dear Alexander,

you are doing wonderful work on this model, the results are very beautiful and accurate. well done

Back