Saint Albans 1687 in Navy Board Style - 1 : 48 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Wow, outstanding work. the belfry is more than pretty

Cheers
Willi (schifferlbauer)
You are correct Willi !
I had the chance to see the model in real during our meeting in Ausgburg - I want to say only "WOW" and repeat your words
Indeed very good workmanship
It was great to see you Alexander and your model in real

Thanks Uwe

Unfortunately, we could only talk for a very short time, but I hope to go to Vienna this year. I would be happy if we could meet then. To see Willi again would be worth the trip as well.

Cheers Alexander

It would be great to meet you here in Vienna.
For your info:
The modelers group of Wille here are meeting every last Thursday of the month....... so maybe your journey plans fit this schedule

Usually, I quietly watch your build, this is mostly because your work is highly skilled and obvious. I must agree with Willy and Tobias, you doing a very good job, Alexander!

Thanks a lot for your comments and the likes.

More small advances.

Pissdales and cleats in the waist.
I turned the pissdales, the material is box.

20220620_081837.jpg

One figure at both outsides of the hull will separate Forecastle and waist optically.

20220620_081850.jpg

Regards Alexander

Last edited by a moderator:
After a creative break, things are slowly moving on again.

The quarterdeck bulkhead has two windows.
Here is the construction that has not yet been finally fastened.

20220802_142020.jpg

For the doors and the railings I need cylindrical parts. I glued four boxwood sticks together, rounded them off with the lathe and cut them to length. The parts are then hollowed out with the spindle grinder.

20220712_144517.jpg

Regards Alexander

The railing is ready carved and fitted. In the middle is the coat of arms of the eponymous Duke of Saint Albans. Recognizable by the diagonal baton sinister with 3 white roses. Very interesting are the legends of how the little duke's mother reminded Charles II of his paternal duties.

The longitudinal figures on the bulkhead are still missing.

20221016_192512.jpg

20221016_192222.jpg

Cheers, Alexander

Last edited:
Thanks Willi!

just found these pictures of the making process.

The template was ironed onto the cylindrical parts.
Then carved the front of the cylindrical parts. Hollowed out with the spindle sander. The pattern mirrored on the back with a mirror and then also carved from the back.
20220814_102237.jpg

20220814_122605.jpg

Not in the picture: the upper and lower parts of the railing are separate boards that have been given a profile and then bent. So everything holds together well.

Greetings Alexander

Back