Saint Albans 1687 in Navy Board Style - 1 : 48 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

It continues with the carlings of the Gundeck. These are very close at the Saint Albans.
According to Franklin, there are the following methods to fix the carlings in the ledges (sheer sticks). I decided on method C given the 120+ carlings.

DSCN2248.JPG

In order to align the carlings parallel and symmetrically, I made simple spacers that have different thicknesses.

DSCN2249.JPG

So the work went smoothly. After all, there were 10 meters of wooden strips for the carlings alone.

DSCN2240.JPG

DSCN2241.JPG

The gratings of the gundeck are built with the standard method. That was much easier than the method with drilled holes in end grain wood. But the gundeck will hardly be visible later, so it doesn't matter here. The same applies to the side strips with the deck planking. I simply covered this with the planks and not from whole wooden boards, as probably on the original. The middle pieces are, however, very well boards in which the course of the planks has been engraved with a steel needle. The material for the planking is hornbeam.

DSCN2243.JPG

DSCN2245.JPG

DSCN2242.JPG

I realized the caulking for the first time with an oil paint washing with green Bohemian soil (Grüne Böhmische Erde). This technique is used in plastic model making to highlight the fine engravings. In preparation, I sealed the planking twice with Clou Primer (Schnellschleifgrund), so that a smooth surface is created. Then I brushed the diluted oil paint on over a large area. The color is then full in the grooves between the planks. After the paint has dried slightly - after approx. 15 minutes - the plank surfaces are cleaned with a cloth soaked in turpentine. The color remains in the grooves. That worked well and the effect is quite realistic.

DSCN2247.JPG

Here are a few more gadgets that were helpful with the work. Metal sanding shoes with replaceable plastic ribbing. Are easy to handle and works fast.
Steel needle, steel ruler, graver and needle file for engraving the planks

Greetings, Alexander

Last edited:
Very interesting tools - where did you get these sanding shoes?
BTW: Very good work.
BTW2: I can fully understand that you made the lower deck not so detailed or with different slightly "easier" methods, due to the fact, that this will be hardly visible later on......When I saw first the photos, before reading your text, I was asking myself, why the gratings have not a complete framing in which the gratings are sitting......
It is looking very good my friend Thumbsup

I wanted to build the ornated hawser lining now. This raises the question of the size of the holes in it.
The plan shows that the right hole is much smaller than the other three.

Bug.jpg

I straightened out the plan detail. Then the two hawsers look like this.

DSCN2254gespiegelt.JPG

You can see at the photos of the original model from the Trinity House that this is not a mistake in the plan.

DSCN0836.JPG

The asymmetry is really strong. What's your opinion on that? Would you also do it so that only one hole is smaller? Or do you see a mistake there?

DSCN2250.JPG

DSCN2253.JPG

Otherwise I have now also prepared the beams of the upper gun deck. The camber of this deck is much stronger than that of the lower deck. The long carlings are again very high and thus also form the coaming of the hatches. The assembly has to wait a bit, because the capstans have to be installed first.

Cheers, Alexander

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, that the modeler of the contemporary model made a mistake (maybe he broke the thicker drill and had no spare with the correct diameter ;) )
But based on the weight of the anchors, the anchor cables were partly different, so it could be, that the different diameters of the holes are because of this.
I never realized it and not often shown on models

Hi Alexander
I´m thinking like Uwe the drawing is a mistake. I compared some models and the hawser holes are of the same size.
I´m thinking too it makes no sense to make different holes in size, but it could be that by some models it is so.
By the photographs of the 2. model of ST. ALBANS i see only one hole. I send you pictures.

Kind regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Attachments

• ankerklüsen 1 (Large).jpg
    ankerklüsen 1 (Large).jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Ankerklüsen 2 (Large).jpg
    Ankerklüsen 2 (Large).jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Ankerklüsen 3 (Large).jpg
    Ankerklüsen 3 (Large).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Ankerklüsen 4 (Large).jpg
    Ankerklüsen 4 (Large).jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Ankerklüsen 5 (Large).jpg
    Ankerklüsen 5 (Large).jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Ankerklüsen 7.jpg
    Ankerklüsen 7.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Ankerklüsen 6 (Large).jpg
    Ankerklüsen 6 (Large).jpg
    217 KB · Views: 22
Hallo Alexander,
I think the reworked wreaths are much better, than the first one you showed earlier..... much better
Are they also made out of silicon based on a new carved original?
Also the hinges are very good - same size like on the contemporary model -> Thumbsup

Thanks Uwe and Willi!
Thanks also for the Likes!

Willi, please note, the picture of the Trinity-Model shows definitly one larger and one smaller hole at the port side. According to Read's plan.

View attachment 183593

Cheers Alexander
Hi Alexander,

The smaller hawser hole is most probably not a mistake.
The size of the hawser hole is in relation to the anchor cable that it is used for.
These ships had three large anchors, the sheet anchor, the bower and the best bower anchors of nearly equal size, then a spare anchor, stream achor, kedge anchor which all were much smaller.
The best bower was kept on PS side, the bower on SB side, as well as the sheet anchor. These had similar size cables but the smaller size anchors could be handeled with smaller cables and therefore a smaller hawse hole. Guess your smaller hawse hole is situated on the PS side?
It was purposed for the smaller stream and kedge anchors which carried smaller cable sizes.

In the meantime I carved and attached the hawswe-timbers.

DSCN2254gespiegelt.JPG

DSCN2255.JPG

DSCN2260.JPG

DSCN2259.JPG

Making the capstans:
In preparation, 10 triangular strips of pearwood with an angle of 36 ° were made and glued in a circle.

DSCN2256.JPG

DSCN2257.JPG

DSCN2258.JPG

This was turned on the lathe.

Unfortunately pictures of the finished parts are missing.

The result looks like this:

DSCN2263.JPG
The left capstan is on the lower gundeck. The abutment extends to the orlop deck on the ship. Since this deck is missing on the model, there is a simple construction that is attached to the keelson. The capstan is fastened in this construction.
The right capstan extends from the lower to the upper gundeck. This upper part will then be visible on the finished model. However, metal fittings are also missing on the original model. Only the pawls are present.

Cheers Alexander

Last edited:
Back