San Felipe 1690 - Panart

Happy 2013 to all. :D:D:D
I wanted to wait until January 1, 2013 to start the thread of San Felipe because I feel that I will be with him for several years, and thus symbolically, each year new model will add a "year old" :mrgreen: .

They say the San Felipe was launched in 1690 in the shipyards of San Feliú of Gixols as flagship of the Spanish Navy and became one of the most famous and iconic ships of their time. Reflecting advances in military shipbuilding his time, this line ship first class of the late seventeenth century was the result of the evolution of the galleons of the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries.
After reading several web on the model, it seems that did not really exist. :(

The model is bought used and has quite a few years. It is the first version that drew Panart thereof, as the current kit, but is about the same, covers such as the planks are made with "pre-formed" and even part of the hull.

Opening the box (giant) the first thing we see is that it is all very well rated, especially cast ornaments (some will need a bit repair because they are very thin :evil: ). These are even marked location on the carton which contains them.
The blisters of small items are also well ranked but the big problem is that after opening the blister, you can not save the material there. So taking advantage of empty boxes above kits, I clasificiado such material in boxes for a more convenient and orderly.

The woods are of good quality and very precise laser cutting.
The materials apparently are enough, we'll see the day to day how it goes.
These are the measures of the model:

1:75 Scala
Length: 965mm
Beam: 380mm
Height: 700mm

I think height is not right ... to me to be something more "high" when completed.

Let's see some pictures of the kit contents:

The giant box.

CIMG0443.jpg

The cast ornaments and small blisters materials

CIMG0446.jpg

CIMG0421.jpg

CIMG0424.jpg

Small material and classified in boxes :mrgreen:

CIMG0452.jpg

Wood

CIMG0432.jpg

CIMG0448.jpg

CIMG0449.jpg

CIMG0450.jpg

Drawings and instructions

CIMG0447.jpg

Size comparison the San Felipe vs Frigate Diana

CIMG0451.jpg

Nothing more for now .... Here we will see us many years if all goes well.

Regards

The first steps are the typical placement of frames and aligning them.

CIMG0465.jpg

CIMG0467.jpg

Here are the covers of the first and second gun battery. These are the strips that will receive the guns coving these covers. Not just convinced me that since then, we must reconcile the pockets nicely to make holes in the hull to match perfectly with the bar .. :?:? I paint everything black to white wood not see afterwards.

CIMG0473.jpg

CIMG0475.jpg

Replacing the Covers

CIMG0477.jpg

CIMG0479.jpg

CIMG0481.jpg

Placing the beams

CIMG0488.jpg

Stern balconies and brackets

CIMG0490.jpg

We continue with the placement of various bridges and balconies ....

Regards

As mentioned, we continued with the placement of bridges and balconies.

CIMG0491.jpg

CIMG0492.jpg

CIMG0493.jpg

CIMG0497.jpg

CIMG0491.jpg

CIMG0500.jpg

CIMG0501.jpg

CIMG0503.jpg

Attaching the upper stem, well glued for remaining strong.

CIMG0504.jpg

CIMG0505.jpg

CIMG0506.jpg

The nest post are some general views of the structure ...

Regards

General view of the structure ...

CIMG0507.jpg

CIMG0508.jpg

CIMG0509.jpg

Now it black paint near canyons batteries, prepare frames for lining the hull and spend a few weeks with lining strakes :? :?

Regards

Sjors55 said:
Morning Carlos,

Welcome to SoS :D

That's a beauty you've got there.
And you all ready make a few vessels.
I like the view of the ornaments.
They show you how it has to be come to the ship?
The wood looks excellent!
And of course a few questions.
You placed all the decks?
And no deck planking?
And those blocks you are placing are for the false canons?
Big!
And then in one of the early picture you placed two parts of an deck?
Is that for canons or????
Enjoy your build and I will follow you.

Sjors

Hi Sjors

All decks are already placed with only planking the upper.
The blocks of wooden you are placing are for the false canons in decks one and two. This decks no planking visible.
The decks one -two is placed for canons and they also allow to stiffen the structure.

Regards
Anja said:
Hello Carlos,
You're off to a good start :handgestures-thumbupleft: The San Felipe is a beautiful ship - and BIG -.
I'm looking forward to your progress.
Good luck with the build and happy modelling.
Take care,
Anja

Thank you Anja for you comments.

Regards

WOW ! Carlos - very nice - and great writing, photos, and documentation on your build log. I will follow your progress with a lot of interest !!

Donnie

Carlos,

That's a hughe kit :shock: You'll be having quite some time with her. So far you've done very well

Cheers,
Carl

Thank's Cog for your comment.

Here we follow the lining around the San Felipe and the theme of the "loophole" :?: .

The template that comes with the kit indicates the position of the barrel, but after going to a plastic template to see how it corresponds with reality, surprise, that template is not as accurate as one would expect.
I think that's one of the reasons that in version 2.0 and no pin kit for longitudinal profiles cannons but also that part of the loopphole's is preformed:?

In any case, this is not going to be able to me. So I anticipate some assembly steps pulling up bulwarks to find a good reference for the "new" template that I do.
So things are.

CIMG0546.jpg

CIMG0547.jpg

CIMG0548.jpg

Detail of the bulwark area then should be cut, that makes the strakes are not stuck to them so you have to be careful because not completed until the outer and inner lining, they are fragile.

CIMG0554.jpg

CIMG0564.jpg

On the other hand, shot some firecrackers "masterpieces" down to make better references for the template of the guns.

CIMG0556.jpg

CIMG0562.jpg

CIMG0563.jpg

CIMG0557.jpg

CIMG0561.jpg

CIMG0566.jpg

CIMG0572.jpg

Nightmare stakeout and location of loophole :sad: I do not quite understand it because that area had been precut with the locations of the locks, so that there can be no error on my part.
Anyway, I have the theme almost ready and just have to redo the template for port and starboard and forget surprises later.

CIMG0567.jpg

CIMG0568.jpg

Regards

Carlos, nice progress so far.
In my opinion the San Felipe is a very beautiful ship and I will follow your build frequently.

this kit looks like it is very well made and a great builder to go along with it. This is going to be a really nice ship to see come alive. I sure wish I had my Trinidad finished, I think I would dive into this one myself.

Thank you Donnie, wim500, for your comments, this gives encouragement to go ahead with the model.

:text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyouyellow:

I had the same problem with my Gun Port openings that were laser cut (one strip). things just did not line up the way i thought they should - so I recut them.

This looks like it's going to be a hell of a build. Very nice job so far. I'm looking forward to following your progress for however long it takes you.

Hi
Forgive my absence the last few weeks. Lack of time is always a problem :text-imsorry: .
I put the progress of San Felipe

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

CIMG0619.jpg

The decks must be made of strips of 3mm. To my mind a bit small, so I will desist from nail simulate because I think it will look good.
The latter has given me a lot of work because I had to pretty much do everything with tweezers because it did not fit my hands.
The slats are attached with white glue slightly diluted.

CIMG0616.jpg

CIMG0620.jpg

CIMG0627.jpg

CIMG0631.jpg

CIMG0632.jpg

CIMG0635.jpg

Lined with walnut bulwark 1.5 mm inside it.

CIMG0637.jpg

San Felipe current appearance without "polished and embellished." It remains to treat deck, reviewing helmet, etc, etc ...

CIMG0640.jpg

CIMG0641.jpg

CIMG0642.jpg

CIMG0644.jpg

CIMG0647.jpg

CIMG0650.jpg

Regards

Hi
I'll start with the gun ports on the port side.
To do this I placed masking tape over the area where the gun ports go to dial without fear.
The gun ports review has to be done so that it is symmetrical and aligned.
Eventually, after some hours staking is done. Now it start drilling and cutting. "Only" are 49 per port and starboard 49 :? so I will have a few days entertaining.

CIMG0655.jpg

CIMG0657.jpg

CIMG0658.jpg

CIMG0659.jpg

CIMG0660.jpg

CIMG0661.jpg

Regards

Looking very good!
I like the idea with the masking tape to mark the gunports, consider that tip copied!!
With my Sovereign build I am led to believe that the provided decking planks will be lime wood, .5x5mm. I intend to use tanganyika .5x3mm, in a three shift system.
Keep the updates coming, you should have a very good looking model when it's finished
All the best, Steve.. :text-thankyouyellow:

Back