Santisima Trinidad and other questions

Hi everyone,

relating to the santisima trinidad, i was wondering, the cannons, cast iron or bronze?, basically i need to know if i go for rust or for patina, i'm using after market cannons since i don't like the ones that come with the kit these cannons have small decorations, wich might point for more recent ones i guess, i'm not super concerned with historical accuracy on this particular model, since i'm changin so much stuff on the kit anyway, but would like to know, if anyone knows this

also relating to cannons, the braces that hold the cannon to the carriage, would be the same material as the cannon?

now about copper plates on the hull:
would the santisima trinidad have that 3 rows of plates, the belt on the waterline?
were the copper plates over the previous paint?
what colour was that paint?
the bow plate overlaps the stern one, and the plate above overlaps the one below right?

Thnks in advance for all the help

Hi Shelk

I would have guessed iron cannons due to the time period but that is a guess as I have no definitive info regarding this particular vessel.

You are correct regarding the overlap.As to whether there was a belt of 2,3 or 4 plates at the waterline before the gore line,again I am uncertain for this vessel.

Trinidad was not coppered at launch,this was added later so I would say this was added over the existing white antifouling.

There was a brilliant Spanish website dedicated to this vessel with a plethora of drawings but this seems to have disappeared in recent years.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Ok I will give you my 5cent
And it all depend how historical and at what period you want to do it

If 1805 Trafalgar
First the gun on the ST where in Cast Iron on the top deck
Here the gun complement for Trafalgar 1805

2-11.JPG
st3[1].jpg

Now on the top deck they where not all gun 16 (24Pd) and 4 (4Pd) of them where carronade there where not enough space for the recoil of regular gun on the launch well section the rest where 14 (8Pd).

obus24libaparejos.jpgpuentes.jpg

And in the kit they do not mention them but you have to add deck column to support the weight of the gun on the top deck

NST_E1.jpg
001.JPG
retroceso-corredera.jpg

And some picture of mine to give you some idea

002.JPG
005.JPG
26-2.JPG
3e.JPG

Thanks for the help, this is very useful

@Charles QC
Here i was wondering how i would rig those cannons, indeed carronades make much more sense

Do you have more pictures or even a build log? looks quite good

Yes I do have a log here
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...occre-kit-15800-build-from-2004-to-2012.3603/
and the section
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...tisima-trinidad-at-1-90-occre-kit-16800.3613/

But look also at Donnie beauty
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/occre-santisima-trinidad-build-log-completed-w-pics.47/

Forgot another Accuracy detail on the kit it is the chain Block OcCre went literal and supply chain that also have to be corrected if you want

You will find all the info for the parts that I have replace or change in my log. To be honest I went crazy with that ship.
final paint . For the gun I use Tamiya gun metal X10 with a matt finish

Thank you, i've seen Donnie's, but somehow, i've never found your log

Back