Seizing and serving line size

20191008_233021.jpgSo I am beginning my first trials of standing rigging on my first build (1:57 Black Prince). I have made several sizes of rope using the spreadsheet by Danny Vadas. I've been experimenting with seizing deadeyes and serving my stays/shrouds (or the first trial of them).

But I am wondering if I am using the right size thread for serving and seizing. Of course, size depends on scale, but can someone give me advice on gauging these. I was thinking in terms of comparing to other lines for size reference--as I have the Lees rigging book and Danny's spreadsheet gives me a good sense of the range. E.g. Is the serving line closer to the main ratlines in size or, say the main shroud lanyards--or something else altogether?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to me that I used the same size as the ratline rigging line to use for seizing and serving. on a 1:80 or so, this equates to about .15mm and .80mm combination. I used on my Panart Felipe .15mm on all seizing and serving. the main thing is contrast of sizes. What I see in the picture is all of it is a little too thick perhaps. A little difficult from the picture.

This is what I did as an example.
standing-rigging-03.jpgstanding-rigging-08.jpg

Last edited:
It seems to me that I used the same size as the ratline rigging line to use for seizing and serving. on a 1:80 or so, this equates to about .15mm and .80mm combination. I used on my Panart Felipe .15mm on all seizing and serving. the main thing is contrast of sizes.
Thanks, Donnie. Very helpful

Hallo Eric,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day

Birthday-Cake

The Modelboatyard.com guy uses 3/0 fly tying line to seize. It’s evidently nylon and somewhat slippery so he says wax it first. I ordered some online but haven’t gotten it yet. Look at his site and it’s under “tips”.

Back