SHIP'S WHEEL

They indeed look very good and I can clearly see the rusty bits!
Your carefully boxed and wrapped anchors and wheel were dropped off this evening. No damage of any kind. The anchors are right on for the scale of my BN and match a couple of different size references. However, something in the process for the wheel printed this one that is about twice the size which is a mystery.

I checked the wheel diameter dimensions from the MS plan which was a 3/8 inch scale drawing and also the wheel dimensions in Chapelle's book of fishing schooners which are shown on two separate pages; and lastly from the BNII schooner book there are two views of the wheel on a scaled drawing with accompanying scale bar that I used to check the diameter again.

I am sorry to have this size problem with the wheel which you finished so well. I'll stick with the one that I made as it matches the 3/16"/ft scale of the model, lacking the finer quality finishing that you produced. I am grateful for your time and work to do the anchors which well fit the model and add greatly to the presentation that I am working toward. Thank you once again for your time and expenses. Rich

@Peter Voogt @Henk Liebre @Dean62 Hello Gentlemen

Before going any further, I would like to express my sincere thanks on behalf of myself and I am sure all the other Bluenose builders for the sterling work that you have put into the Bluenose's steering wheel. It is very warmly appreciated! Thank You! :)Thumbsup

Also try to understand that I am in bit of a predicament with regards to the other wheel that I mentioned.

1. First of all who are the "critters that I am referring to? They are an international, non-profit oriented, group of builders - independent to any forum to which they may or may not belong - who functions as a "Think Tank" or a "Research and Development Group" (for want of better terminology) for model shipbuilding. Whilst there are some projects with which they are intrinsically involved, they are not affiliated to one project per se; rather it is a case of seeing how they can enhance model shipbuilding as a whole. They prefer to remain anonymous and I respect their wishes.

2. As to how they arrived at the wheel that they designed, I believe it would be a case of looking a gift horse in the mouth if I were to question that. Rest assured that they have not just lucratively arrived at this design of the wheel. I actually received this correspondence from them this morning.

There is also writing on the wheel that can barely be seen (lower left). We think it says Bluenose "something".. We did not include it since it was so small. There are also a couple of grooves that run alongside the "garden hose" that we omitted for simplicity. The wheel itself was made from a single casting, most likely iron (or perhaps bronze). The handles are wood and held on by pins at the base. The caps on the tops of the handles seem to be polished brass. Based on notes from maritime historian and architect Howard Chapelle the overall wheel would have been a silver color (attached photo).

These are our interpretations after looking at ALL relevant photos and reference material available. Not just a single photo.

View attachment 238771

3. Therefore, I suggest we look at the finished/printed example and then everyone is free to choose which they wheel they want to or prefer to choose.
It should be noted that this detail from the MS plan has an asterisk (*) before the title which is noted elsewhere on the sheet as a 3/8 inch scale drawing and not the ship model 3/16 inch so measuring the drawing must be reduced by 50% for accuracy.
Just an observation. Rich (PT-2)

@PT-2 Rich, I think there is a miscommunication here. You tagged me, but the post is clearly not directed at me. It is not "my" wheels or anchors that you received, but credit needs to go to @Dean62 , @Peter Voogt and @Henk Liebre.

Hi Rich @PT-2 ,
In post #3 of this thread I wrote:
"As written in a other reply, in the Saga, page 53, is written:
"Bluenose II fitted with bronze No.12 Lunenburg Foundry Fisherman's Steerer, worm geared for 11 inch wood rudder stock with 48 inch diameter bronze steering wheel."
When I assume the 48" is for the outer rim, in metric it is 121.9 cm. In scale 1:72 it is 16.9 mm."

48": in 1:72 = 0.67" and in 0:64 = 0.75"
121,9 cm: in 1:72 = 1.69 cm and in 0:64 = 1.90 cm

Our printed wheels and the YQ wheel are 1.77 cm / 0.70" outside rim:
Wheels.jpg
The 0,03” calculated different is for me no problem.
The outside is a little bit curved, so you can file it down.
Only the spokes are a bit longer, but you can adjust them to every size and shape you want.

I don't know which wheel is send to you, but compare it to the sizes I quoted above.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Rich @PT-2 ,
In post #3 of this thread I wrote:
"As written in a other reply, in the Saga, page 53, is written:
"Bluenose II fitted with bronze No.12 Lunenburg Foundry Fisherman's Steerer, worm geared for 11 inch wood rudder stock with 48 inch diameter bronze steering wheel."
When I assume the 48" is for the outer rim, in metric it is 121.9 cm. In scale 1:72 it is 16.9 mm."

48": in 1:72 = 0.67" and in 0:64 = 0.75"
121,9 cm: in 1:72 = 1.69 cm and in 0:64 = 1.90 cm

Our printed wheels and the YQ wheel are 1.77 cm / 0.705" outside rim:
View attachment 240849
Only the spokes are a bit longer.
I don't know which wheel is send to you, but compare is to the sizes I quoted above.
Regards, Peter
Rich was sent a wheel, and two anchors printed in 1/64 scale. I’m not sure how the wheel would be off, unless the input factor was off when setting up the print. But Rich claimed the anchors were correct, so I would assume the wheel would be also. Anyway, I can always send another wheel. But I need to know what outer wheel diameter Rich is wanting to get.
It looks like the provided YQ wheel seems to fall be between 1/64 and 1/72, but closer to 1/72 with tolerance. And that is also where our wheel came in at. So that would most likely comply with what Rich needs.
Rich,
Verify the wheel size that Peter mentioned (.705”) will work for you, and let me know if that is what you want.

Last edited:
Back