Smelly,s Santisima Trinidad Occre 1:90

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Hello all, welcome to my build log. the length of this model is 1060mm and is 415 mm wide. I have been following John Aliprantis`s build on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvNxDG6MgbFikbTM89Hod2g
You all well can follow me here. I don`t have photos of the building of the base structure ,but that went pretty straight forward no problems . Parts fit well together.
I am now Installing the plywood bulwarks. There is a bit more sanding on these to get a better fit ,there are some small gaps ,but there will be planking over these plywood bulwarks. I will add some filler to aid the sanding to a nice base for the planking. Since this was my first wood ship I opted to get the kit in parts. Ther are six parts that you can order. I have the first 3 and soon will order the 4th 5th and 6th at the same time , save on shipping. I purchased the kit Ok some photos. I purchased the kit from overseas from https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html
Hallo @smelly
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Are you still working on the Santissima ?

as you can see from the above photos the bulwarks are almost complete . A few more hours to go, then must cut out the canon ports, and then sand down to a nice smooth finnish. I am thinking of adding a sanding sealer after the sanding. there are a couple of defective spots , but these will be covered by the 3 bands of bumper strakes to be added. then I will be ready to plank the hull.

G'day mate
I like your colour scheme
Will be looking forward to seeing the results
Cheers snowy

Hi Smelly,
I saw your earlier post about wanting a small lathe. That a great idea. I'm on my second build which is the HMS Fly I see where I'll need to taper all the mast and spars and yards. Right now about the only thing I can taper evenly is a pencil ands that's using a sharpener. I hope there not too expensive.
I find it all depends on the quality of the dowel wood. I recently purchased a Woody Joe kit from Japan and the dowel wood had lovely straight grain, so I could taper the mast with a sharp knife , then sand it by hand lengthwise and when rotating it . Afetr a few repetitions I got it perfect.