Soleil Royal by Heller - an Extensive Modification and Partial Scratch-Build by Hubac’s Historian

Duarte - thanks are truly in order to Andre Kudin. That guy is a true master of the craft!

So, I’m about to disappoint you a little, here. At 1:96, I am not so strong a proponent for rigorously scaling rigging and iron work. My secret? I know there needs to be a graduation of line weights from the lower rig to the upper rig. Main deck guns to upper deck guns, etc.

I simply bought a collection of line in all available weights, and I make these scale decisions by eye; if it looks right, at this scale, it is close enough. That is my philosophy, anyway, and I trust my eye for scale because I am constantly collecting images of models and ship portraits for my archives.

I will pay more specific attention to the stays and shrouds because these lines are so prominent, and one really needs to get as close to scale as possible. I won’t make myself crazy, though, splitting hairs over the smallest fractions. Doing so takes the fun out of the hobby for me. At least on this project.

Already though, Duarte, I can see that you are quickly mastering Andre’s techniques.
There is one indispensable product when rigging: Burt's Bees Wax. I'm sure that everyone knows that most threads will fuzz up. I use it religiously when building small scale ships (anything between 1/150 and smaller). It gives the builder greater flexibility when rigging.

Bill

Back