Soleil Royal ZHL kit 1:90 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Looking good so far the deck planking wood looks great. I got Black Walnut with the Pearl. I usually don't color any deck planking and rarely color hull planks. I usually just Brush on a few coats of satin Poly sanding between coats. on the Pearl the poly didn't want to penetrate the wood that well for some reason so I used Tru-oil that's used on Firearms stocks and it brought out the beauty of that Black Walnut. This is the first time I have used an oil based product on any ship build. most often oil based products take time to dry and it catches Dust like there is no tomorrow so as soon as the finish was applied I turned it upside down and stuck it in one of those big plastic storage Bins with the lid on till it dried. I would have loved to have gotten Teak wood with this kit and used the Tru-oil as I have used that wood for knife handles and the tru-oil makes that wood look absolutely Amazing. Looking forward to more of this build

I turned it upside down and stuck it in one of those big plastic storage Bins with the lid on till it dried.
G'day epicdoom
That's a good idea, have not heard that trick before. Just be careful of not bowing the frame in the bag, with the un-even heat etc.
Just a thought
Happymodeling
Greg

no worries about heat in my house. My wife keeps it cold enough to hang meat in this place all year round lol I stick stuff In bins a lot to keep them dust free while paint, stain and clear coats dry. no matter how well you try though it's impossible to keep all dust down unless you can wet everything in the room you paint in or have a filtered ventilated paint booth. with most water based products it isn't a huge problem because they dry so fast. but oil based products should sit at least 12 hours before you touch it. That leaves a lot of time to accumulate dust particles. oil based products attract that type of stuff anyhow way more then water based products do. when I was building a lot of models as a young man I used to use a cardboard box and paint outside. I would wet the ground in the yard we had concrete then dampen the box inside and out with a spray bottle. Id tip the box up put the model under it and spray paint it right there then let the box down over it.

Looking good so far the deck planking wood looks great. I got Black Walnut with the Pearl. I usually don't color any deck planking and rarely color hull planks. I usually just Brush on a few coats of satin Poly sanding between coats. on the Pearl the poly didn't want to penetrate the wood that well for some reason so I used Tru-oil that's used on Firearms stocks and it brought out the beauty of that Black Walnut. This is the first time I have used an oil based product on any ship build. most often oil based products take time to dry and it catches Dust like there is no tomorrow so as soon as the finish was applied I turned it upside down and stuck it in one of those big plastic storage Bins with the lid on till it dried. I would have loved to have gotten Teak wood with this kit and used the Tru-oil as I have used that wood for knife handles and the tru-oil makes that wood look absolutely Amazing. Looking forward to more of this build
Thanks Joe. I also like to use wipe on oil finish. I think it really brings out the beauty of the wood. Rub on a few coats and your good to go. Can't wait to see how this teak comes out.

Back in the yard today. Greg was running low on popcorn and beer so I figured I better get something done.;) Finished off the deck planking and put in a couple doors that would been covered by the upper deck. installed the hatches and finished with a matt oil finish. I am happy with the teak deck planks. Glued up the upper decks and hope to start getting the gun supports on tomorrow.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Just been through your log Mike, she is looking very nice, your doing a great job on her, dont you just like the way everything goes together, I was amazed when I first started building the Royal Caroline, I have been having problems keeping up with all the great build logs due to home issues, so if I donot seem to be following I am really, looking forward to more of your build,
best regards John.

Just been through your log Mike, she is looking very nice, your doing a great job on her, dont you just like the way everything goes together, I was amazed when I first started building the Royal Caroline, I have been having problems keeping up with all the great build logs due to home issues, so if I donot seem to be following I am really, looking forward to more of your build,
best regards John.
Thanks for stopping in and the nice words John. So far I am very happy with this kit. With a little sanding here and there it fits together great. There is no doubt the Caroline will be my next build.

Back