Sopwith Camel F-1, WWI Fighter, 1:16 scale (3/4" = 1')

DocBlake

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

What is the best glue for the wooden frame of this aircraft? Titebond will leave a yellowish residue that won’t finish well. Weldbond? Epoxy? When I was a kid I used Duco Cement to glue the balsa wood frames of plane models together, but they didn’t show, given the tissue/silk span skin. Ideas?

Jimsky

Staff member

Dave, I like Lineco PH neutral adhesive, It uses by Artists as the base. It drys transparent, fast curing time and strong bond. Basically it is the type of Elme'r glue (PVA)

Barry1

I used CA on my Wright Flyer after seeing that white glue did not form a strong enough bond. The pieces are very thin and very small gluing surface. So something that number 1 forms a strong bond is key. I am not familiar with Lineco PH but it sounds good. I’ll look into this as well. If there is a CA you are comfortable with that would work as well.

Barry1

It sounds like you might be getting started on the Camel. If you have any desire to stain the wood definitely do it before you start assembly. I decided to stain the wood on the Wright Flyer because I didn’t like the look of the basswood color. Personal preference.

donfarr

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Doc, JIM IS RIGHT I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF MONTHS,

donfarr

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Hi, As far as CA I have been using ZAP-A-GAP fore a long time, was never happy with it it always left shiny spots and was very hard to sand out, AGAIN I FOLLOWED JIMS ADVICE AND GOT MERCURY ADHESIVES 3 pack and I use the medium one MUCH BETTER, I LIKE IT A LOT, HOPE THIS HELPS. Don