Sopwith Camel F-1, WWI Fighter, 1:16 scale (3/4" = 1')

What is the best glue for the wooden frame of this aircraft? Titebond will leave a yellowish residue that won’t finish well. Weldbond? Epoxy? When I was a kid I used Duco Cement to glue the balsa wood frames of plane models together, but they didn’t show, given the tissue/silk span skin. Ideas?

This might be silly answer, but I think plain white Elmer’s glue dries nearly transparent.

Dave, I like Lineco PH neutral adhesive, It uses by Artists as the base. It drys transparent, fast curing time and strong bond. Basically it is the type of Elme'r glue (PVA)

I used CA on my Wright Flyer after seeing that white glue did not form a strong enough bond. The pieces are very thin and very small gluing surface. So something that number 1 forms a strong bond is key. I am not familiar with Lineco PH but it sounds good. I’ll look into this as well. If there is a CA you are comfortable with that would work as well.

It sounds like you might be getting started on the Camel. If you have any desire to stain the wood definitely do it before you start assembly. I decided to stain the wood on the Wright Flyer because I didn’t like the look of the basswood color. Personal preference.

Hi, As far as CA I have been using ZAP-A-GAP fore a long time, was never happy with it it always left shiny spots and was very hard to sand out, AGAIN I FOLLOWED JIMS ADVICE AND GOT MERCURY ADHESIVES 3 pack and I use the medium one MUCH BETTER, I LIKE IT A LOT, HOPE THIS HELPS. Don

This Model Airways Sopwith Camel kit arrived today! I picked it up on sale from Model Expo and plan to build it in the background as I work on my other projects
My interest in aviation goes back to my childhood. When my friends were building model cars, I was always more interested in aircraft and ships. That interest stayed with me as I grew older.

In the 1990's I was introduced to MicroSoft's Flight Simulator and I was hooked. I spent hours flying simulated aircraft on my computer, and finally started designing airplanes for the platform - both the visual model as well as the flight characteristics. I specialized in WWII propeller driven aircraft, single and multi engine and designed more than 20 individual planes, some in multiple liveries. The coolest thing that happened to me was an email I received from an Army Air Corps pilot in WWII who flew B-29 bombers in the Pacific. He told me that my B-29 simulation, modeled after the "Enola Gay" flew exactly like the real thing! That made my month!

In my late 40's I decided I would learn to fly, and I ended up passing my check ride 4 days before my 50th birthday! I had my Private Pilot's License!
I don't fly anymore, for a variety of reasons, but I still love aviation. I have about 600 hours in my log book in Cessna 172's, and I even have 1/2 hr. logged as Pilot in Command of an Army Air Corps T-6 Texan. I did some aerobatic flying with an instructer: loops, barrel rolls etc. Great fun!

So I'll start this build and keep it running in the background. It should be interesting! Thanks for looking in.

View attachment 94009
Your thread is what made me pull the trigger and purchase. Will follow your build.
Rick

I’ve got their albatross. They’re not bad kits as long as you don’t mind laser burn on your ply parts.

There’s a very nice build log of the camel over on Britmodeller if you want some inspiration:

View attachment 94168View attachment 94169View attachment 94171
View attachment 94172View attachment 94173

If you really want to treat yourself, go for the Hasegawa DR-1

View attachment 94174View attachment 94175View attachment 94176View attachment 94177View attachment 94178View attachment 94179

The wheels, prop, oil tank and internal rigging are all scratch built BTW, I wouldn’t want you to be disappointed if you bought the kit :)

Have fun.
Yes, agreed. You are a happy camper upon acquiring one. The absolute only issue. The tube framing is injected plastic. That was a major let down for me. Traded for a Pocher Bugatti. I have always thought the SE5a was their best. But don’t get me wrong. As you have demonstrated, builds into a beautiful piece.
Rick

These open frame wooden kits reminds me of the Guillows kits from 60's and 70's. I made several military aircraft to include the famous P-38 Lightning! Never flew mine, just built and enjoyed looking at them.

I think they still sell some today.

These open frame wooden kits reminds me of the Guillows kits from 60's and 70's. I made several military aircraft to include the famous P-38 Lightning! Never flew mine, just built and enjoyed looking at them.

I think they still sell some today.
To tell the truth, most of us here cut teeth on a Guillows. Built as lite as possible. Clear dope and a good prop. Amazing flyers. Love’em too this day.
Rick

Model airwais. Качество отвратительное. Законцовки крыльев пришлось делать новые из дерева. Пропеллер из 27 слоев шпона вишни.

Model airwais. The quality is disgusting. The wing tips had to be made new from wood. Propeller made of 27 layers of cherry veneer.

IMG_20210729_131302.jpg

IMG_20210729_131315.jpg

IMG_20210729_131326.jpg

IMG_20210729_131349.jpg

IMG_20210729_131411.jpg

IMG_20210729_131326.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just beautiful - you made a real good job in building and bashing this model Thumbsup
Would like to see much more of your work

Fantastic -
one of these days, I am going to build this one too.

Back