Sopwith Camel F-1, WWI Fighter, 1:16 scale (3/4" = 1')

This Model Airways Sopwith Camel kit arrived today! I picked it up on sale from Model Expo and plan to build it in the background as I work on my other projects
My interest in aviation goes back to my childhood. When my friends were building model cars, I was always more interested in aircraft and ships. That interest stayed with me as I grew older.

In the 1990's I was introduced to MicroSoft's Flight Simulator and I was hooked. I spent hours flying simulated aircraft on my computer, and finally started designing airplanes for the platform - both the visual model as well as the flight characteristics. I specialized in WWII propeller driven aircraft, single and multi engine and designed more than 20 individual planes, some in multiple liveries. The coolest thing that happened to me was an email I received from an Army Air Corps pilot in WWII who flew B-29 bombers in the Pacific. He told me that my B-29 simulation, modeled after the "Enola Gay" flew exactly like the real thing! That made my month!

In my late 40's I decided I would learn to fly, and I ended up passing my check ride 4 days before my 50th birthday! I had my Private Pilot's License!
I don't fly anymore, for a variety of reasons, but I still love aviation. I have about 600 hours in my log book in Cessna 172's, and I even have 1/2 hr. logged as Pilot in Command of an Army Air Corps T-6 Texan. I did some aerobatic flying with an instructer: loops, barrel rolls etc. Great fun!

So I'll start this build and keep it running in the background. It should be interesting! Thanks for looking in.

Img_0406.jpg

Hi Dave,
I'll be really interested in following along on this build. I often take a look at the Model Airways models and wonder if I'd like doing one. It's also interesting to hear about your aviation experience.

I think model airplanes are often a child's introduction to model building. My uncle (more like a brother, only a few years older) grew up with us and he made model airplanes which he flew. This would be in the early '50's. I remember that they had little engines that ran on some kind of fuel. The models were wooden framed with a kind of canvas covering and he always painted them yellow. I was mesmerized by them. Would they have been radio controlled? I don't recall that detail. Anyway, that got me onto plastic airplane kits, which my uncle showed me how to build, then plastic car kits, then much much wooden ships.

David

interesting, as my family have an interest in airplanes I have been thinking about this for sometime now MY SON-IN-LAW HAS A CONSULTING BUISNESS SUPPLYING SOFTWARE TO AIRLINE CLINETS< HAS WORKED IN AVATION FOR OVER 20 YEARS, AND MY OLDEST SON LOVES FLYING AND HA A COLLECTION OF MANY PLASTIC MODELS THAT HE HAS DONE,,,, MY SON-IN-LAW ASKED ME IF I COULD DO A CONSTALATION IN WOOD FOR HIM BUT DO NOT KNOW IF ANYONE SELLS A WOODEN KIT FOR IT. Don PS so I will be following this also

Thanks for looking in, guys!
David: those gasoline powered planes in the 50’s and 60’s were controlled by guy wires. They could only fly in a circle around the controller “pilot”. RC technology existed, but was beyond the means of an 8 year old boy!

Awesome that you are starting this plane. I know it will come out great and I’ll follow with interest. The Model Airways planes are left uncovered to allow the details to be seen. Do you plan to build this way as well.
I’m tangled in Bluenose rigging so my Wright Flyer is on hold for a couple more weeks.
I did build and fly, well mostly crash, RC planes and gliders back in the late 70s/early 80s. Lots of fun but too much repair work and maintenance required. A flight simulator would have helped me a lot back then.
Enjoy the build.

I am definitely interested in seeing this as I have had my eye on this plane for a long time. I have to finish my current project which should be finished in a few months.

I’ve got their albatross. They’re not bad kits as long as you don’t mind laser burn on your ply parts.

There’s a very nice build log of the camel over on Britmodeller if you want some inspiration:

820C6B53-75AD-4C59-A300-53F5027B1DFE.jpeg357A06ED-CBD3-415A-BB51-3718FB7E33A0.jpeg0DE9DF2F-C093-4A52-A92F-553CBE555DD5.jpeg
ADEBA260-7011-4B9A-BAEA-D63B848724FC.jpeg0FD7A5E1-805B-4D6A-9582-D00B21FAF8AF.jpeg

If you really want to treat yourself, go for the Hasegawa DR-1

7062FAC0-4499-498D-BCA2-E089726B4BBF.jpeg17147544-0022-4DEF-B5D0-82B60DD6A1CD.jpeg051353DD-2FAE-4977-A043-B7F29100FEAD.jpeg89FB80F6-F985-4A1D-8CA6-691D1D1D7723.jpeg535F96CE-2A5A-4058-BD8E-F0B935B95BFF.jpeg74C57F0A-9D0A-4E33-A9D0-1090563F8D88.jpeg

The wheels, prop, oil tank and internal rigging are all scratch built BTW, I wouldn’t want you to be disappointed if you bought the kit :)

Have fun.

Last edited:
Ahhhh...the admiral wants me to finish the Felipe. Well that’s ok as my birthday will be here soon and I should be wrapping up the Felipe by then. She knows that I get overwhelmed easy w more than one project.

Ahhhh...the admiral wants me to finish the Felipe. Well that’s ok as my birthday will be here soon and I should be wrapping up the Felipe by then. She knows that I get overwhelmed easy w more than one project.
For your birthday you can get to Pof Alert kit and join the group Lol

Back