Sovereign of The Seas 1637 - Heavily modified Mantua kit

Norway

Nice work again, this I have to practice until I get it done, i must make the slide table as you have previously shown, thank you.

modelshipwright

Today I started fabricating a doorway for the main gun deck. The photo shows the blank doorway and a piece of Boxwood I have been bending to form the edging around the door. I use a soldering iron with a brass tip to gently coax the Boxwood strip to the shape I want.

8694AD48-8AF8-4DBD-88E5-22F04F306FA8.jpeg

C431F28D-523D-41BF-9176-128F1DC9F944.jpeg

More to follow............

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Bill

NMBROOK

Hi Bill
Am I correct in assuming the door is for the centre of the bulkhead facing us in post#244?I never got as far as planning deck fixtures and this area but did like how Arthur Molle represented this area.Long lost the picture but from memory there as a carving surrounding this door and windows in the two convex areas to either flank.Incidentally from my limited French,his model is now up for sale as he is 87.There was a post on the French forum.

Kind Regards

Nigel

modelshipwright

Hi Nigel,

Yes, that is the door that will go in the area you indicated on the main gun deck. There are indications of what this door might have looked like in the Van de Velde sketch, the Payne engraving and the Pett painting as shown in this photo from the Busman book on the Sovereign.

IMG_2538.JPG

In the Van de Velde sketch, the doorway is shown with decorative carving surrounding the frame and cannon ports on either side of the door. In the Payne engraving, the upper part of this doorway with decorative carving can just be seen and the rest of the doorway is obscured by the grating deck, the mast and some seamen. The Pett painting shows an arched decorative top and the detail is not clear below that.

Arthur Molle chose to depict this area differently as the following photo shows.

111.jpe

As you remarked, he has a doorway with windows adjacent to it and the gun ports are shown at a level above the door. His detail in this area is really beautiful and no one can dispute the authenticity as we really do not know what the ship really looked like.

The Culver Model in Preble Hall in Annapolis shows the grating deck and a little of the door treatment.

1427B1EA-E466-4E82-89A8-4A125825D020.jpeg

I will decide how ornate this area will be as I go along and can visualize what I would like it to look like.

PS I have all the Arthur Molle photos of the Sovereign if you want them Nigel.

More to follow............

Conmments and suggestions welcome.

Bill

Last edited:

NMBROOK

Great post Bill.Yes Arthur's version is quite spectactular,as you say,no one can dispute it due to lack of evidence,but it does gell with the extravagant decoration everywhere else.Interesting that the second image displays the 'grated' deck covering we discussed earlier.

Please feel free to send me any images you have of Arthur's model,they will be greatly received.Again,something else I lost due to my fried laptop hard drive.Thank you

Kind Regards

Nigel

Pat71

Looks fantastic! Hope my build will look a bit like yours. With half of it is will be happy. I made a start but was brought to hospital 2 days ago because of heart and today again with ambulance. Just came home. Hope to do little bit tomorrow. 3 th time in 3 weeks with ambulance. Keep on going with this nice build can learn a lot of it.

modelshipwright

Today I began making a set of windows for the bulkhead on the main gun deck. The following photo shows the window in rough on a strip of boxwood along with a partially completed window frame and the window screen being stretched into a diamond pattern and glued to simulate diamond shaped glass windows.

F475E92D-5104-47A1-90AF-00074728914F.jpeg

More to follow.........