Sovereign of the Seas-Deagostini Partwork-1/84 TOTALLY Reworked

Thank you everyone.A special thank you to you Bill,your messages of interest and encouragement have helped me to take stock and regain enthusiasm to push on with this build,Reposting these pictures has also helped and reminded me just how much effort I put in to get as far as I did.I must of spent 30 to 40 hours a week for one year solid including research.So much additional time had been expended due to the massive changes away from what the partwork was becoming.
I had mentioned at the start that the build was modified with the intention of building the complete interior.I have given this some reconsideration.I feel the time is much better spent on the exterior,you will never see the insides without an endoscope when the model is together.Even If I omit deck planks in places it is going to be extremely hard to see anything at this scale.I will fit full cannons(I still have the Amati ones I bought for the build in 2014) on basic carriages but that is about it.In addition,my interpretation of the reference material leeds me to believe the gundeck was covered with gratings or at the very least antiboarding netting.This is the only reason that cannons would be fitted firing inboard fore and aft.These were fitted to the Mary Rose and Great Harry for antipersonnel use and both featured antiboarding netting.The gratings will further obscure any internal detail.More on this subject latter when I get back to the build.

Kind Regards

Nigel

[.In addition,my interpretation of the reference material leeds me to believe the gundeck was covered with gratings or at the very least antiboarding netting.This is the only reason that cannons would be fitted firing inboard fore and aft.These were fitted to the Mary Rose and Great Harry for antipersonnel use and both featured antiboarding netting.The gratings will further obscure any internal detail.More on this subject latter when I get back to the build.

Kind Regards

Nigel
[/QUOTE]

The Payne engraving clearly shows antiboarding netting while the Van de Velde sketch does not. Payne did his engraving to be completed before the launch and of course the ship was not rigged when he viewed it. So the netting may have been added to his engraving on advice from Pett? Who knows. Van de Velde did his sketch later but left off the masts and rigging so we don’t know what he saw at the time of his sketch. I feel that there were grates on the gundeck as well and am leaning in that direction for my model. Not sure about antiboarding netting though.

Regards,
Bill

:)Thanks again
Bill,when I say grated deck,I mean as depicted on the culver model running fore to aft above the gun deck.I actually believe this was the width of the ship at this point.One of the artworks(I will dig Busmann's book out tomorrow) actually shows seaman stood in this area at a height that would correspond to this area being covered.More likely grating than netting.Walking on antiboard netting and standing upright without support would be awkward.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I do have this deagostini kit my self and I should say that by looking at your blog I would like to start with it right now.
The kit itself is far from correct and I love the things you did with it. Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks Guys

Maarten,yes,there are a lot of errors.The one thing that annoyed me immensely is Deagostini used a completely different model in the marketing of this partwork.The model is actually a scratchbuild by an Italian model maker and historian.This model addressed all the errors of the Sergal kit and was for that reason I chose it over the Sergal offering.Had I known that at the time,I would have started with the Sergal kit.Both make decent models as designed,I just wanted a closer representation to what we do know from history.
Slightly off topic,I notice you have built the Aeropicolla Prince,now that is a blast from the past!

Kind Regards

Nigel

As a prelude to the upcoming last two sets of pictures.I will research and suss put how to incorporate text with pictures when I post new work,I won't be posting 10 photos at a time then.
The first set shows the hollowed out hull with the lime reinforcement and internal planking added after fairing.I removed the lower partwork deck as this didn't tie in correctly with the lower gun port height and shear as I had adjusted this.You will notice that the lower hull had been infilled with plywood.Something I won't do again,the hull is massively strong but it took an age to fair to the bulkheads.
The second set illustrate the railings completed.The red sections is something I pinched from Chris Watton's gold medal winning model of this vessel,a much modified Sergal kit.They are not painted,they are made from Predyed veneer from original marquetry.This not only gives visible woodgrain but also gave me superclean edges where it met the boxwood.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Guys

Maarten,yes,there are a lot of errors.The one thing that annoyed me immensely is Deagostini used a completely different model in the marketing of this partwork.The model is actually a scratchbuild by an Italian model maker and historian.This model addressed all the errors of the Sergal kit and was for that reason I chose it over the Sergal offering.Had I known that at the time,I would have started with the Sergal kit.Both make decent models as designed,I just wanted a closer representation to what we do know from history.
Slightly off topic,I notice you have built the Aeropicolla Prince,now that is a blast from the past!

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel, fully agree with you. I had exactly the same feeling they sold something which it is not. Thats why I still have it as a set, bought it as a set 3 years ago.

The prince of aeropicolla is a small gem. Build it 25 years ago, dont think it is still available.

Hi Maarten
Yes Deagostini REALLY stretched the clause of 'the manufacturer reserves the right to change specification etc etc'.

Mamoli took over the Aeropiccola Prince and to my knowledge replaced the fibrewood ornaments with metal castings.Now Daniel Dusek bought Mamoli's rights when their factory burnt down and is slowly rereleasing Mamoli's kits with his improvements.He has started with the mini Mamoli range which included Prince.We will see if this is rereleased.It was a small model but it was the most accurate wooden kit produced of this vessel.

Chris Watton was well on with developing a 1/64 kit of her for Amati,but now no longer works for Amati and has severed all ties with them.I doubt that kit will ever happen now.He is starting his own kit business.

Kind Regards

Nigel

It is disapointing that kit manufacturers, for the most part, are not producing authenticly accurate models. This leaves us to research the ship and give it our own perspective. It inevitably leads to some issues arising during the build which cannot be corrected. I experienced this in several areas with my Sergal kit of The Sovereign and wish I had scratch built her instead of using the keel and bulkhead parts from the kit. Hindsight is 20/20 it would seem.

Regards,
Bill

Back