Sovereign of the Seas Mantua 1:78 Greatly Enhanced - Vince P. [COMPLETED BUILD]

Completing more of the starboard and port hull ornamentation. One thing to point out. The little ornament pieces come in sealed packages with a drawing of where they should go. It would seem simple to just put them where is says. WRONG. In doing research on completed models of the SOS, it seems that several of the pieces are located in the wrong places on the drawings. After carefully examining the entire hull, I noticed on the stern even the trim was not correct and doing it as they directed would not even allow placing all of the ornamental pieces. The photos of the stern I provided have all of the trim in the correct layout and the ornaments placed in the correct locations. I figured out where to put each piece in the correct position. Also, many of the pieces have to be trimmed down to fit in their spots on the hull.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0060.JPGpict0061.JPGpict0062.JPGpict0063.JPG

Last edited:
Wow. Amazing ship. Hope i will be ready soon the start with a ship like this. Maybe first Soleil royal or doesn't that matter with difficulty?

Wow. Amazing ship. Hope i will be ready soon the start with a ship like this. Maybe first Soleil royal or doesn't that matter with difficulty?
Hi Jim,
Both the Royal and the SOS are equal projects. Good luck with either one.

Vince

The completed main deck capstan and what it would look like mounted on the deck with the arms in place for hauling. When I do mount the capstan permanently, the arms will be removed and lashed to the deck next to it. The arms in the hauling position would crowd the deck when the small boats are secured over the hatchways.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0092.jpgpict0093.jpg

The plans call for about 10 pin rails along the bulwarks. This is not nearly enough, especially if you are going to rig her with full sails like I am going to do. The photos show about twice as many pin rails. The extras were made from scratch with spare lumber from my stash.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0094.jpgpict0095.jpgpict0096.jpgpict0097.jpgpict0098.jpg

Even more belaying pins and cleats are needed to rig her properly. These were placed on the railings in their proper positions. All were additions to the kit as supplied.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0099.jpgpict0100.jpg

Two blocks are needed for the anchor haul on the catheads. This is the block with the metal hook and lashing in place.

The metal hook and lashing were made from 0.5mm brass wire.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0101.jpg

The catheads constructed, rigged, and mounted before fishing the anchors. The anchors will be placed at the very end of the build since they get in the way when rigging and working around the forecastle.

Vince P. Ship-1

pict0102.jpgpict0103.jpg

Back