SPANISH GALLEON XVII. GALEON DEL AZOGUE [COMPLETED BUILD]

In general:
Usually a Ship of the Line carried later on minimum six anchors.
Most of the anchors were used for emergency cases or as spare - and these emergency cases could happen on both sides of the ship
f.e. the definition of Best Bower: The larger of two anchors carried in the bow so named as it was the last, best hope.
additionally they carried anchors also in the hold for spare.
IMG_16971.jpg
taken from Boudriots 74-gun ship

I hope that Ramon can explain more in detail the number and use of this special Galleon sailing much earlier

I have a question about older large ships as this, why did they carry two anchors per side?

I can see one on each side to use for one on port and starboard.
According to Juan de Veas' document (1613) a galleon of this size should have five main anchors.

The galleon San Felipe of 1628 (not to be confused with that horrible kit that goes around) carried 5 anchors, an little anchor (anclote) and a harp.

Normally it carried four on the outside and one or two in the hold, the "ancla de misericordia"

In general:
Usually a Ship of the Line carried later on minimum six anchors.
Most of the anchors were used for emergency cases or as spare - and these emergency cases could happen on both sides of the ship
f.e. the definition of Best Bower: The larger of two anchors carried in the bow so named as it was the last, best hope.
additionally they carried anchors also in the hold for spare.
View attachment 155080
taken from Boudriots 74-gun ship

I hope that Ramon can explain more in detail the number and use of this special Galleon sailing much earlier
Boudriot's text refers to French and 18th century ships, but it coincides with the usual 17th century Spanish galleons

Hi Ramon,
As a new comer to this site I only recently found you build log.
I would like to say I am truly amazed with the depth of your knowledge on these ships, add to that your building ability and rate of progress is all exceptional.
Among several things that have intrigued me is the tiller mechanism and rudder, to my uneducated eye it is no wonder these ships were not very maneuverable, the rudder itself to me looks quite small for the size of vessel combined with what I guess is not a lot of movement at the end of the tiller arm.
I also wonder if you have a rope making machine.
Fantastic work.
Cheers,
Stephen.

I don't know what the maneuverability of the pinzote system was, but it wasn't until the eighteenth century that the wheel of the helm appeared. On the other hand, the size and shape of the rudder is taken from the documentation of the 17th century and corroborated by archaeological findings, for example the Vasa. However, it deceives a lot, it really is huge. Yes i have a machine

Hi Ramon,
Thanks for you answer.
There is so much going on in your ship, I like the main top mast being raised into position along with a cannon being lifted aboard, there are a lot of things happening.
Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi Ramon,
I have read and researched the explanations and pictures you have posted, just a pleasure to see and learn from your amazing and beautiful workflow. Thanks so much, it's just amazing.
shota

Good work Ramon, I've been following your work from day one, looking forward to the finale, greeting Knut-

Back