SPANISH GALLEON XVII. GALEON DEL AZOGUE

ramonolivenza

Part by part..
The starboard side will be open and the port side closed.
The artillery portholes will open later.
The port side is entirely black, according to the usual in these galleons, which were tar or pitch.
However, I'm not painting, I'm dying the pieces with Indian ink before nailing the pieces, that's why the nails are not painted. Later I will blue the nails so that they take an old and oxidized aspect, applying selenium dioxide.
I have tried different inks, the best result is Dr. Ph. Martin's Black Star India Ink Hi Carbon

NMBROOK

I only ask because I have used cold bluing solutions on Airweapons many years ago,they reduced the susceptibility to rust but not eliminate it.The weapon still required frequent clean downs with oil impregnated rags or covering with a water repellent aerosol if used in wet conditions.

Kind Regards

Nigel

ramonolivenza

I only ask because I have used cold bluing solutions on Airweapons many years ago,they reduced the susceptibility to rust but not eliminate it.The weapon still required frequent clean downs with oil impregnated rags or covering with a water repellent aerosol if used in wet conditions.

Kind Regards

Nigel
I'll use Super Blue, but l want a little rust effect.. I look for an antiquity aesthetic

Norway

This looks very good, good effect with black color, there are probably wooden nails on the lower part of the hull.

ramonolivenza

The Spanish galleons were built (mandatory by law) in the north of Spain, in the current regions of Cantabria and Vascongadas. These areas are very rich in iron mines, for which the use of iron nails was very easy and cheap. It is a characteristic of Spanish galleons. The English used more wooden nails