Statenjacht 1678-Kolderstok 1:50

Thanks for the best wishes guy’s. Unfortunately not much celebrating this year. Fortunately she is maintaining a strong mental attitude for the inevitable while physically deteriorating.
I wish you a good birthday and hope you're able to enjoy this day, despite all your struggles, fears and concerns.

Haven't posted any recent pictures for awhile however, I have been plodding along with my build albeit rather slowly.I
I've gone off script slightly per the instruction. I planked the upper third of the hull then decided to work on the
bulwarks. Reason being the hull above the deck is rather fragile with only the 1.5 mm planking. I figured ol' dumb thumbs would probably crush something while continuing with the planking. The bulwarks are now lined with basswood and are now very rigid. I am also going to finish the bulwarks a little differently than historically correct. Call it artistic license if you will. :eek: More on that later.
As you can
see, I have the deck's planked also.

25_Decking.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful planking on the upper third of the hull Ron. I would love to have seen more pics.

Haven't posted any recent pictures for awhile however, I have been plodding along with my build albeit rather slowly.I
I've gone off script slightly per the instruction. I planked the upper third of the hull then decided to work on the
bulwarks. Reason being the hull above the deck is rather fragile with only the 1.5 mm planking. I figured ol' dumb thumbs would probably crush something while continuing with the planking. The bulwarks are now lined with basswood and are now very rigid. I am also going to finish the bulwarks a little differently than historically correct. Call it artistic license if you will. :eek: More on that later.
As you can
see, I have the deck's planked also.

View attachment 316830
Good morning Ron. Happy belated birthday. Looking really awesome. BTW artistic license is that wonderful freedom from the “have to do’s” and always adds that uniqueness to our models.....it is our license each one individually owned. Look forward to your bulwarks . Cheers Grant

Good morning Ron. Happy belated birthday. Looking really awesome. BTW artistic license is that wonderful freedom from the “have to do’s” and always adds that uniqueness to our models.....it is our license each one individually owned. Look forward to your bulwarks . Cheers Grant
Thanks for the birthday wishes Grant. I always feel guilty deviating from historical accuracy especially on a forum titled Ships of Scale however the big picture is I’m building this for me. :)

Question, how does one with fumble fingers assemble this deckhouse?
34_Hexagonal Deckhouse.jpg

These are the components to form the deckhouse
35_Cpmponents.jpg

First you print a disk to retain the crossmembers for gluing
36_Alignment disk.jpg

A little dab of adhesive in the center should do the trick
37_crossmembers glue-up.jpg

These are the walnut roof segments made up of edge gluing 3 1.5 x 4mm strips together then cutting to shape.
Used my Ultimation cutter to cut into diamond shapes. I left some a little oversize in case "adjustments" were necessary :oops:

37_Walnut roof segments.jpg

So, my friends, that's how ol' fumble fingers did it.
The gold
enhancements are made from 1mm rope CA'd for stiffness then painted gold.
I still have to add
vertical ones to the window frames.

There is nothing fumbling about those "ole" fingers, Ron - that looks great! I am very impressed by the cuts that you were able to obtain on those diamond shapes!

There is nothing fumbling about those "ole" fingers, Ron - that looks great! I am very impressed by the cuts that you were able to obtain on those diamond shapes!
Thanks Heinrich, the cutter went through the 1.5 x 12mm like a hot knife through butter. (Well, maybe not that easily) I was concerned that some of the glue joints might part. However, they didn’t.

View attachment 317548

View attachment 317549

View attachment 317550

View attachment 317551

These are the walnut roof segments made up of edge gluing 3 1.5 x 4mm strips together then cutting to shape.
Used my Ultimation cutter to cut into diamond shapes. I left some a little oversize in case "adjustments" were necessary :oops:

View attachment 317552

The gold
I still have to add
Very inventive...

View attachment 317548

View attachment 317549

View attachment 317550

View attachment 317551

View attachment 317552

The gold
I still have to add
Good morning Ron- inventiveness , patience, and skill made an awesome deckhouse. No redo coins here for sure. Cheers Grant

Still working on some of the deck structures. This is the deckhouse complete with window glazing.

Please remind me why I love this ship so much when it has all these
embellishments which require painting, and I don't like to paint.

A few more deck fiddly bits and then I can continue planking the bottom 2/3 of the hull. :eek:

38_deckhouse.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Ron. You love this ship, because it allows you to become fully immersed in its build. It involves you to the point where you become the shipwright or are a State official luxuriating onboard. That is what a @Kolderstok kit does. I have said on numerous occasions how much I love the WB, and now you have done the same. These kits involve in you in the build like no other - I am sure that this makes Hans a happy man!

Dear Ron. You love this ship, because it allows you to become fully immersed in its build. It involves you to the point where you become the shipwright or are a State official luxuriating onboard. That is what a @Kolderstok kit does. I have said on numerous occasions how much I love the WB, and now you have done the same. These kits involve in you in the build like no other - I am sure that this makes Hans a happy man!
Okay, that does it; addictive, that's what those kits are; addictive.
I am ever so glad I decided upon first finishing my YQ BN, then build an unspecified aircraft and once that's completed, I'll allow myself to start thinking about another ship. Luckily for me, Kolderstok doesn’t have any POF-kits (yet?)....

@RDN1954 Interesting point about the POF, Johan., Personally, I don't have a preference, but I will not allow the construction method to influence the ship I want to build. If I had made a predetermined decision to build only POF, my selection of models would be limited to either French or British ships. Conversely, if a manufacturer brings a POF Brederode to market, I will buy it immediately - hence to me, it's all about the subject, not the construction type.

Back