Statenjacht 1678-Kolderstok 1:50

Well, I completed the pedestal this morning. Two light coats of clear last night and mounted the banner this morning.
The base is cut from cherry with 2 x 5mm maple deck planking and pencil lead "caulking" between the planks. The banner is walnut. My favorite wood is cherry which will darken with time to form a sharp contrast to the maple.

Now it's time to reset my compass and make a course correction to return to building what goes on this display stand.
Can you say "Cart before the horse" :rolleyes:

In all fairness to full
disclosure I "borrowed" this idea from one of Piet's build logs. Thank you, Piet. First Place Metal
His was rectangular and I opted to go with the oval shape.
Defiantly more of a challenge with cutting the decking.:eek:

View attachment 324143
Good evening Ron. Outstanding stand ;) . Seriously beautiful. Now you have created some pressure for yourself for the Statenjacht to be mounted needs to fit the stand. I must say - so far so good thoThumbsup

Thanks guy’s. That was the easy part as I’m now working on the fiddly bits. The deck fixtures :(
Nothing new to you guys however, I’ll stock up on do-over coins as I progress.

One of the fiddlier of the fiddly bits, the anchor beams. Made from 8mm walnut. The center section gets cut down to 2mm thickness.
Somehow, I managed to accomplish this without breaking the piece, (Yet) Would have liked the joints to be a little tighter however as this piece gets painted (reluctantly) a little more sanding and some filler and it should be fine.
41_Anchor beams.jpg

One of the fiddlier of the fiddly bits, the anchor beams. Made from 8mm walnut. The center section gets cut down to 2mm thickness.
Somehow, I managed to accomplish this without breaking the piece, (Yet) Would have liked the joints to be a little tighter however as this piece gets painted (reluctantly) a little more sanding and some filler and it should be fine.
View attachment 324914

View attachment 324914
Agreed! That is very neatly done. I know exactly how and where this piece is supposed to fit - be careful with those top-railing cut-outs!

Agreed! That is very neatly done. I know exactly how and where this piece is supposed to fit - be careful with those top-railing cut-outs!
Absolutely Heinrich. I’ll put away my chain saw and opt for something a little more precise. And speaking of precise “measure four times, cut once).

Well, it’s a black day in the shipyard. The Admiral lost her battle with kidney failure this morning.
I will re- open the shipyard however, at this time I’ve put my tools aside for awhile.
I have to say thanks to all for keeping me sane over these few months.

Ron

Dear Ron. Words can never suffice at times like these. You are in my prayers.

Well, it’s a black day in the shipyard. The Admiral lost her battle with kidney failure this morning.
I will re- open the shipyard however, at this time I’ve put my tools aside for awhile.

Ron
Condolences to you Ron! I am very sorry to hear this. Take all the time you need. My prayers for you and your family!

Ron
So sorry Ron. My condolences. It is hard to lose a loved one so close. My thought and prayers are with you Ron.

Back