Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hey folks the chief carpenter, under pressure, did new carvings.

20210317_211842.jpg

But he did them again out of scale.

20210317_093401.jpg

So he was fired....

Unfortunately that generated an issue and an officer was sent to do an inspection.......

20210317_210639.jpg

He wasn't too happy so he went to inspect the sailor's cabin and kitchen...

20210317_210841.jpg

At the end the officer was satisfied with the job than as of today and authorized to leave the "big Dolphin and decoration " as they were placed.

20210317_204737.jpg

What a stressful afternoon with this inspection.... but fortunately had a happy ending.

Cheers
Daniel

Ps: I belive the officer was too young and/or of small size OR the full ship is out of scale..... HAHAHAHA :) :) :)

Last edited:
Hello Daniel. Honestly, I like the second one better, and fully support you trying to improve the carving. While you did maintain the 2D very well, you still have to make them (dolphins) 3D. The first one was more 3D than the second one, but the second is better 2D. Round the head a bit and the hair, if you choose to accept my recommendations. ;)

Hello Daniel. Honestly, I like the second one better, and fully support you trying to improve the carving. While you did maintain the 2D very well, you still have to make them (dolphins) 3D. The first one was more 3D than the second one, but the second is better 2D. Round the head a bit and the hair, if you choose to accept my recommendations. ;)

You are correct as always. And I always do the same mistake.... posting of earlier pictures.

The last picture, with the 2 Dolphins was taken when I finished the new version.

If you focus on the last picture of the previous posting you will see I rounded more the head.

Here is a Zoom of that picture.

Screenshot_20210317-220735_Chrome.jpg

I will see if I can round it more. But just a little too more will ruin the job. It already happened to me yesterday night and ended in the trash can.

Screenshot_20210317-221448_Chrome.jpg

The guy has a big head and nose. The head has an abnormal shape too. My first Dolphin looks like Nemo with a cute face.

Screenshot_20210317-221850_Gallery.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Ps: And the hair, I tried, but is out of my skill... another one in the trash can .

Last edited:
Jimsky.... check the size of these guys .

Metric Scale

20210317_223115.jpg

I also left that forehead , that is prominent, because, as I see in the real picture, the monster have a big forehead.

Of course, someone with more carving experience would have done it better. No discussion at all. But this are really my limits today.

Cheers and thank you for stopping by and commenting.

Daniel

Jimsky.... check the size of these guys .
Who promised you it will be easy? :cool:

Yes, it is a challenging job, but don't give up! No one knows their limits really, you will be surprised to find out what you are capable of, it just a matter of repetition. However, if you feel you cannot do better, of cause use them as they now!! It is your model, and only you the chief commander, and approval for all build work.

This weekend was unique concerning this hobby.

A month ago, as you remember, I got the Byrnes table saw. Chatting with my friend Mike Shanks at the Weasel's private group I told him that I was going to buy the Byrnes thickness sander. He offered me his Byrnes thickness sander for free because he was not using it. He is using a bigger one.

There was 1 issue. The thickness sander suffered a drop to the floor and the screw that moves the table up/down was damaged. It needed to be replaced.

I had also another friend, Eduardo, a scientist and computer guy , that his hobby is "Working with lathes". He loves to do clocks from Scratch. All it's mechanics.

Then Mike sent me the thickness with a transitory screw he adapted and was doing an excellent job. Used it all the last month in that way and did precise wood thickness reductions.

In the meantime, Eduardo did the screw, exact copy of the original, that I installed this weekend. The thickness sander works like new. Did several testing and is in perfect working condition and very precise!!!!

Bent screw

Screenshot_20210321-144320_WhatsApp.jpg

Transitory screw

Screenshot_20210321-144430_WhatsApp.jpg

New screw, as the original

16059.jpeg

The Thickness Sander with the new screw, like new and got it free. :)

20210321_154817.jpg

Moreover, last week I showed my "Carved Dolphin" to Mike Shanks. He could not stand that a Weasels's member will use that carving in such a fine ship like the Pegasus and gave me a surprise.

He sent me this figure he had in a database to check if I liked.

17054 (1).jpeg

Then he printed it in a 4K printer.

Below is thevComputer monitor with the image of all the stuff he was printing. In the middle is the Dolphin.

17110.jpeg

After the printing he glued the 2 half and molded them to have a 3D image.

Screenshot_20210321-200303_Gallery.jpg

Below is the computer 3D model with the modifications done to the printed prototype.

17408.jpeg

Now it will be CNC in boxwood. It will be a full 3D carved Dolphin done by flipping the wood over and carving both sides in full registration. It is called "2-sided machining".

I will post the carved figure when ready.

What a weekend guys !!!! Full of modeling good news !!!

Thank you Mike and Eduardo !!!

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
This weekend was unique concerning this hobby.

A month ago, as you remember, I got the Byrnes table saw. Chatting with my friend Mike Shanks at the Weasel's private group I told him that I was going to buy the Byrnes thickness sander. He offered me his Byrnes thickness sander for free because he was not using it. He is using a bigger one.

There was 1 issue. The thickness sander suffered a drop to the floor and the screw that moves the table up/down was damaged. It needed to be replaced.

I had also another friend, Eduardo, a scientist and computer guy , that his hobby is "Working with lathes". He loves to do clocks from Scratch. All it's mechanics.

Then Mike sent me the thickness with a transitory screw he adapted and was doing an excellent job. Used it all the last month in that way and did precise wood thickness reductions.

In the meantime, Eduardo did the screw, exact copy of the original, that I installed this weekend. The thickness sander works like new. Did several testing and is in perfect working condition and very precise!!!!

Bent screw

View attachment 222417

Transitory screw

View attachment 222418

New screw, as the original

View attachment 222416

The Thickness Sander with the new screw, like new and got it free. :)

View attachment 222419

Moreover, last week I showed my "Carved Dolphin" to Mike Shanks. He could not stand that a Weasels's member will use that carving in such a fine ship like the Pegasus and gave me a surprise.

He sent me this figure he had in a database to check if I liked.

View attachment 222420

Then he printed it in a 4K printer.

Below is thevComputer monitor with the image of all the stuff he was printing. In the middle is the Dolphin.

View attachment 222421

After the printing he glued the 2 half and molded them to have a 3D image.

View attachment 222424

Below is the computer 3D model with the modifications done to the printed prototype.

View attachment 222423

Now it will be CNC in boxwood. It will be a full 3D carved Dolphin done by flipping the wood over and carving both sides in full registration. It is called "2-sided machining".

I will post the carved figure when ready.

What a weekend guys !!!! Full of modeling good news !!!

Thank you Mike and Eduardo !!!

Cheers
Daniel
Sounds like good news all around! You have some good friends! ;)

Great news indeed and beautiful dolphins by Mike. But ... what about yours?

Great news indeed and beautiful dolphins by Mike. But ... what about yours?

Well.... that is a good question.

The answer will be that I will place them in a small wood pedestal beside the ship. They will remember my first try on carving. But @Jeronimo and @Jimsky were correct that my Dolphins will really outstand negatively beside the high quality of the ship carvings. If I do not have any other option, then they will be in the ship. But When Mike offered me a higher carved quality Dolphin there was nothing more to say, than thank you.

Back