Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Yesterday night I worked on the jig fitting. A lot of sanding and testing to be sure each frame will fit in the jig. Remember this is CNC and many of the jig notches do not have the precise size. I sanded a little each frame at the place where the notches have to fit.

Tested without gluing:

20201027_115032.jpg20201027_115132.jpg

Next step: the same but with glue :)

Cheers
Daniel

Attachments

• 20201027_114558.jpg
    20201027_114558.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 3
I remembered that I have to do something else before gluing all those frames.

I need to fill the space between last frame (R) and the transom. For that the kit have provided some extra frames that will need to be sanded to make it fit.

20201027_141146.jpg

The ones inside the circle and parts at the left is what I am talking about.

The full frame that is at the left is frame R. The last one.

Yesterday night I worked on the jig fitting. A lot of sanding and testing to be sure each frame will fit in the jig. Remember this is CNC and many of the jig notches do not have the precise size. I sanded a little each frame at the place where the notches have to fit.

Tested without gluing:

View attachment 187970View attachment 187971

Next step: the same but with glue :)

Cheers
Daniel
Looking great. So, the alignment jig is part of framing. Clever design.

Good progress young man! Even though the process might seem slow, you are actually moving along very quickly.

Looks like the timber parts are cut out with a milling bit instead of laser cutting.
Is there much clean up work involved with sandpapering the parts ?

Looks like the timber parts are cut out with a milling bit instead of laser cutting.
Is there much clean up work involved with sandpapering the parts ?

Correct, they are not laser. Yes, there is a lot of cleaning and sanding, mainly when the milling cut wasn't deep enough.

For now, nothing to regret.

Cheers
Daniel

Finished the stern frames. I am still brainstorming the bow frames. They isn't difficult by design. But all is difficult as 50% of the time pieces do not fit. Well, that gives another layer of entertainment and fun.

In the meantime, I started to sand the hull. A LOT of elbow grease :) .

Transom will not be glued until I finish the hull sanding. Gives freedom for the sanding.

Let's see a few pictures.

20201028_193843.jpg20201028_193939.jpg20201028_194118.jpg20201028_194128.jpg20201028_194142.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Daniel. If my eyes deceive me or if the photograph is distorted by the camera lens (and this happens often) - my apologies beforehand.

But on this picture it looks as if the starboard side curves to the outside (yellow line) whereas the port side follows a straight line (indicated in blue).

20201028_193843.jpg

Once again - if I am wrong, I am apologise.

Hi Daniel. If my eyes deceive me or if the photograph is distorted by the camera lens (and this happens often) - my apologies beforehand.

But on this picture it looks as if the starboard side curves to the outside (yellow line) whereas the port side follows a straight line (indicated in blue).

View attachment 188211

Once again - if I am wrong, I am apologise.

It isn't the picture. It is the jig who is doing that effect.

Let me explain:

The jig will be gone (sanded) as the below picture of the Chinese modeler

20201028_222555.jpg

The arrow shows that only the jig spacers have been left to allow the hull planking.

Now, my model.

The kit is CNC and nothing is like the laser perfect cut of your last Russian boat. The jig has a LOT of imperfections. Those are the ones that generate that effect clearly seen in the below picture

20201028_222957.jpg

Do you see it better now ?

20201028_223120.jpg

Now I will Zoom both side:

First the "defective side " and see what I am pointing with the arrow

20201028_223208.jpg

Now the "non defective side"

20201028_223340.jpg

Do you see now the issue ?

I will help: The right side jig is "thinner". The left side is "thicker". So the right is more against the rib "generating an arch when compared with the left side where all along the jig has the same thickness".

Try to follow the frame tips line now. It isn't easy at this time because that jig picks the brain attention. I do not believe neither that the frames are "perfectly positioned " but at least I do not see such issue. I will know , if frames are not perfect,, when I sand all that jig along the ship leaving only the spacers.

This ship is more of a scratch type than a laser cut as the Marmara, where all fitted to almost perfection (almist because nothing is perfect in life).

The below images are from this book

16039400872587470177574006344617.jpg

Look how it started and how is evolving after sanding and additions.

16039401704094344199299676094798.jpg16039401958734814695260589322315.jpg16039402859778965681864796016602.jpg1603940347656611171459446908037.jpg

So, if at the end also the frames are not "perfect" , then, there are options along the building process to hide it.

We will see.

Cheers and thank you very much for the observation. It helps the log followers and myself.

No apologies please, do not write that again. For those observations is what we spend time doing these logs. It is a daily learning process.

Cheers
Daniel

Thank you very much for that detailed explanation Daniel. It makes perfect sense now and I am very happy to hear that it is a jig that "distorts" things at the moment. It is actually great that you showed these pictures - then we can all realise that this is in fact quite a challenge to build. It's your own fault for making things look so easy!ROTF

Die Yacht Pegasus habe ich in einer Bauzeit von 11 Jahren hergestellt, nach dem Original-Bauplan. Nebenbei habe ich noch sechs Pläne was zu der Pegasus dazugehört, die ich Ihnen nicht zeigen möchte. Und noch dazu habe ca. 30 kg Literatur benutzt, damit ich das Modell rekonstruieren konnte. Was euch die Chinesen für teures Geld verkauft haben, ihr müsst auch damit fertig sein, dass entspricht überhaupt nicht zum Modell Pegasus aus dem Jahr 1776, dass ist ein Märchen auf einem Mythos gebaut. Das wollte ich euch sagen, wenn sie irgendwas weiter kommentieren, schauen sie ob es den Tatsachen entspricht. Weil mir reicht alle Kommentare was gelobt und nicht gelobt werden.

English translation by Google:

I built the yacht Pegasus in a construction period of 11 years, according to the original construction plan. By the way, I have six plans for the Pegasus that I don't want to show you. And on top of that, I used about 30 kg of literature so that I could reconstruct the model. What the Chinese have sold you for dearly money, you have to be done with it, that does not correspond at all to the Pegasus model from 1776, that is a fairy tale built on a myth. I wanted to tell you that if you comment on anything further, see if it corresponds to the facts. Because all comments are enough for me to be praised and not praised.

P1010310.JPGP1010315.JPGP1010316.JPG

Die Yacht Pegasus habe ich in einer Bauzeit von 11 Jahren hergestellt, nach dem Original-Bauplan. Nebenbei habe ich noch sechs Pläne was zu der Pegasus dazugehört, die ich Ihnen nicht zeigen möchte. Und noch dazu habe ca. 30 kg Literatur benutzt, damit ich das Modell rekonstruieren konnte. Was euch die Chinesen für teures Geld verkauft haben, ihr müsst auch damit fertig sein, dass entspricht überhaupt nicht zum Modell Pegasus aus dem Jahr 1776, dass ist ein Märchen auf einem Mythos gebaut. Das wollte ich euch sagen, wenn sie irgendwas weiter kommentieren, schauen sie ob es den Tatsachen entspricht. Weil mir reicht alle Kommentare was gelobt und nicht gelobt werden.

TRANSLATED by Google:
I built the yacht Pegasus in a construction period of 11 years, according to the original construction plan. By the way, I have six plans for the Pegasus that I don't want to show you. And on top of that I used about 30 kg of literature so that I could reconstruct the model. What the Chinese have sold you for dearly money, you have to be done with it, that does not correspond at all to the Pegasus model from 1776, that is a fairy tale built on a myth. I wanted to tell you that if you comment on anything further, see if it corresponds to the facts. Because all comments are enough for me to be praised and not praised.
‐------------------------------------

Dear Ivan

I hope I have not offended you in any way, as that wasn't my intention at all.

If you prefer, I can delete any mention to your model and what you have done. I was only trying to give the corresponding acknowledgement to you of your amazing work. I wrote that this was "not really a copy of your Pegasus" because the decorations aren't exactly the same. I wrote it was a kit made using your decorations and the Statenjacht Utrecht 1776 plans as refererences. I also avoided the call 1776. I wrote circa 1700.

Yes, this NOT a copy of your Pegasus neither is a copy of the Statenjacht Utrech. It is just a model kit built by a Chinese company and there is no one on sale around the world that has these decorations. My wife love it and asked me to built the ship.

So, please, if you feel uncomfortable that I mentioned you as an example of the magnificent work you did, let me know I delete all what I wrote in my first 2 postings.

Best
Daniel

Last edited:
Back