Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1/20 scale by neptune

34.jpg
I enlarged the side elevation today and this shows the Keel, dead wood and stern post sitting over the plan, i am
very pleased with the outcome,

35.jpg
I have to trim the keel back at the bow for approx 15mm, then everything else should fit,

36.jpg
Full length view,

37.jpg
and a better view of the bow area,

Thank you all for the comments and the likes,

best regards John,

38.jpg
I decided to build the boat upright so I leveled two pieces of melamine board to the top of my work table,

39.jpg
then I laid another full length board on top ,

40.jpg
When I had the second board squarely on top of the lower one I drilled three holes
through both boards and inserted thin dowells just to keep everything square and
inline,

41.jpg
another view,

42.jpg
then I took the middle dowel out and and put a screw through so that when I remove the end dowels I can rotate
the board so that I can work on both sides and when I reinsert the front and back pins all will be locked in place,

Last edited:
43.jpg
Time to build up the stem apron and knee, I marked and cut the stem and apron from one piece and the knee
from another,

44.jpg
showing how the two piece will fit,

45.jpg
they still need a bit of a clean up,

46.jpg
and how they will fit on the keel, I still have to cut the rebate for the planks to land in on the stem, the round of the
stem has to be sanded and cleaned up yet

Last edited:
47.jpg
I clamped a metal rule onto the stem where I had to cut the rabet, and ran a sharp craft knife down from the pencil
mark, I made several cuts to get the score deep enough,

49.jpg
then I cut back into the first cut at an angle so as to form the rebate,

51.jpg
still needs to be cleaned up a bit,

52.jpg
and this is how the planks should sit when attached, there is still a lot of cutting and shaping to be done on the stem,

53.jpg
The stern post and the stuffing box all glued up, I bought some Selleys quick set PVA glue
for this build and I am very impressed with it,

54.jpg
This is one of two stern timbers, i glued the pattern to the wood and then cut it from a piece thick enough to
get both pieces from it,

55.jpg
and with the pattern removed,

56.jpg
these two pieces attach either side of the stern post and have filling pieces the thickness of the stern post between
them i will post a pic when I get around to cutting them, and it will be a bit clearer,

57.jpg
This pic gives an idea of what i mean, once I get the stem and stern post erected then I will
string a line between them so I can centre everything,

View attachment 198331
The stern post and the stuffing box all glued up, I bought some Selleys quick set PVA glue

View attachment 198332
This is one of two stern timbers, i glued the pattern to the wood and then cut it from a piece thick enough to
get both pieces from it,

View attachment 198333

View attachment 198334
these two pieces attach either side of the stern post and have filling pieces the thickness of the stern post between
them i will post a pic when I get around to cutting them, and it will be a bit clearer,

View attachment 198335
This pic gives an idea of what i mean, once I get the stem and stern post erected then I will

Great progress John,
I am sure it is nothing and that you are quite aware of this, but the photo of the aft part of the plan shows a distinct "hook" right where the "tug sterned" part begins right aft I don't know if it is just an optical illusion or a copying problem because it doesn't exist on my plans.
That's my 2 cents worth, just an observation.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Great progress John,
I am sure it is nothing and that you are quite aware of this, but the photo of the aft part of the plan shows a distinct "hook" right where the "tug sterned" part begins right aft I don't know if it is just an optical illusion or a copying problem because it doesn't exist on my plans.
That's my 2 cents worth, just an observation.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you Steve but I'm not sure what you mean, could you point it out on the pic, I'm just in the process of downloading some of your pics to make sure I get the stem right,

best regards john.

best regards John,

View attachment 198331

View attachment 198332
get both pieces from it,

View attachment 198333

View attachment 198334

View attachment 198335

It shows up well in this photo, upper Left hand corner. Hope this helps.

1607841166075.png

Is this the part where my finger is, there is a crease in the plan which is making it look like that, but thanks for pointing it out, I don't mind you might see something that I have missed,

Best regards John,
All good, just trying to help, I know from personal experience it is easy to miss things at times.

Cheers,
Stephen.

58.jpg
The stem is chamfered back on eachside from just below the deck level down through to
the keel, I cut a piece of timber to the right size and used it to mark the line for
chamfering,

59.jpg
then I clamped a steel rule to the back of the rabbet and used a craft knife to cut away
the excess wood, and then cleaned up the chamfer with small rasps and sand paper,

60.jpg
end result, these next pics are just various views of the stem,

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

Last edited:
65.jpg
Shows the stem with the planking rabbets and the chamfer, Iv'e also cut the rabbet down through the knee,

66.jpg
closer look,

67.jpg
the rabbet on the starboard side of the knee,

68.jpg
and the rabbet marked on the port side,

69.jpg
port side rabbet finished, these rabbets and chamfers may need a bit of fine tuning once I start the planking,

71.jpg
the knee has now been glued in place,

72.jpg
Time to have a good clean up and vacuum, got to stay on board with the admiral,

thank you for looking in and all the likes and comments,

best regards John,

Last edited:
84.jpg
The stem glued and clamped to the keel, after the glue has dried I will insert a couple of dowels for extra strength,

86.jpg
the bottom of the stem has to shaped and rounded yet,

85.jpg
close up,

88.jpg
The stem has had its final shaping where it meets the keel, and I have made up some Square supports,

90.jpg
both supports screwed in place,

87.jpg
I also did the same for the stern,

89.jpg

test fitting the stern extensions,

Looking forward to watching this develop. My grandfather was the Chief Engineer on one of the old steam drifters off the East Coast of the UK, he/we are from Scarborough. I have a photo of him somewhere during WW1, he would be around 15yrs old then, when the fishing vessel he was on stopped by a German U Boat, and he with other crews had to abandon ship and the fishing boats were sunk. They landed in Whitby, hence the "survivors" photograph.

Back